New Ironwood owner

Blip

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Hi all,

I've been lurking for awhile and finally pulled the trigger on an Ironwood 650, though I was very unsure after all the posts about wifi problems and other issues. I was thinking RecTec but would've had to put it together and Ace Hardware delivered the assembled grill to my door. I seasoned the grill and was very happy, maybe lucky, that everything went well. My grill is on a lanai in a hi rise and close to wifi, which has a strong signal. The grill connected quickly and downloaded the software in about 5 minutes. I then seasoned the grill as directed at 350 for 20 minutes and 500 for 30 minutes. All went according to plan except the temperature in both cases overshot by 20 degrees and then came back down and steadied for the duration. I'm relieved it worked and can't wait to do my first cook tomorrow.

For future reference ...

As for temp issues, the Traeger is essentially a large convection oven that uses wood pellets as a fuel source ... not unlike an oven, or other grills, temps will fluctuate for the same reasons ... admiring your "handiwork" by opening the lid constantly is sabotaging yourself :) ...

It takes some time to reach temperature equilibrium, and every time the lid is opened, the process has to "restart" to some degree ... invest in some additional probes in order to keep the lid closed as much as possible ...

The following two support documents from Traeger cover temperature fluctuations, running hot, etc.

Running too hot (D2)

Temp Swings (AC&DC)

Thanks for the info.

Enjoy your new Ironwood. I have the same one. Only one small regret, kind of wish I went to the larger size, but this will suffice for now.
I find this a lot easier to control than my Kamado grill, but it lacks the smoke of the Kamado. Trade offs for convenience

For future reference ...

As for temp issues, the Traeger is essentially a large convection oven that uses wood pellets as a fuel source ... not unlike an oven, or other grills, temps will fluctuate for the same reasons ... admiring your "handiwork" by opening the lid constantly is sabotaging yourself :) ...

It takes some time to reach temperature equilibrium, and every time the lid is opened, the process has to "restart" to some degree ... invest in some additional probes in order to keep the lid closed as much as possible ...

The following two support documents from Traeger cover temperature fluctuations, running hot, etc.

Running too hot (D2)

Temp Swings (AC&DC)
Where does he say he opened the lid?!

Enjoy the IW650. I love mine! Grill grates coming soon, can’t wait to try them!

I will open the lid only by necessity. I’ve already got grill grates and will report back as I will be grilling more than smoking.

Where does he say he opened the lid?!

Enjoy the IW650. I love mine! Grill grates coming soon, can’t wait to try them!

He did not ... but that is another reason for temp fluctuations that people tend to question ... I should have put a caveat on that with "avoid opening the lid when grilling..."

He did not ... but that is another reason for temp fluctuations that people tend to question ... I should have put a caveat on that with "avoid opening the lid when grilling..."
Gotcha. Had me confused.

Back