New Ironwood 885 Owner

RM_SGO

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
Just upgraded from a 3-yr old Home Depot Traeger (smaller size). So far pretty happy although I think I've read every post I can around the seeming lack of visible smoke to convince myself that my unit isn't defective. My old smoker seemed to put out much more white smoke.

Two questions:

1. While on the topic of smoke - any of you guys using a smoke tube to add to the overall smoke of the Ironwood? All this talk about clean blue smoke has me questioning whether I should continue using the smoke tube which definitely does not generate blue smoke

2. While the adjust-ability of the bottom rack is cool, Traeger seems to have under-designed the sear level set up. A bit difficult to get the grate in and out smoothly. Was thinking about buying another grate to simply keep positioned in the lower level so that if I want to sear I simply pull the other grate off and drop the meat down to the rack below. Can't seem to find replacement 885 racks available online though.... anyone seen them?

Thanks!

Just upgraded from a 3-yr old Home Depot Traeger (smaller size). So far pretty happy although I think I've read every post I can around the seeming lack of visible smoke to convince myself that my unit isn't defective. My old smoker seemed to put out much more white smoke.

Two questions:

1. While on the topic of smoke - any of you guys using a smoke tube to add to the overall smoke of the Ironwood? All this talk about clean blue smoke has me questioning whether I should continue using the smoke tube which definitely does not generate blue smoke

2. While the adjust-ability of the bottom rack is cool, Traeger seems to have under-designed the sear level set up. A bit difficult to get the grate in and out smoothly. Was thinking about buying another grate to simply keep positioned in the lower level so that if I want to sear I simply pull the other grate off and drop the meat down to the rack below. Can't seem to find replacement 885 racks available online though.... anyone seen them?

Thanks!
I can’t comment on the searing issue as I haven’t tried in my IW885, however if I wanted to sear I would buy some grill grates which I intend to in the future for better searing.
As for smoke flavor, I use a smoke tube with almost every cook. But I want the added smoke flavor because to get the smoke flavor I want, I would have to cook at the lowest temp with super smoke for hours and hours. Welcome to the Ironwood club friend! ?

Back