New app is horrible

paulschneidewind

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 760
Dear Traeger,

I purchased a pro 760 in February after much back and forth between this product and a pitboss. The ONLY reason I chose the traeger (which was a few hundred dollars more) was because of the ability to set custom cook cycles on the app.

I like to smoke enough food for a decent sized group of decent sized people and will often times start my cook before bed. I chose your product so that I wouldn't need to wake up in the middle of the night to change temps. Now, I must wake up in the middle of the night to change temps.

I'm not sure the legality of selling a product with certain features and then removing said features after purchase, but I am currently looking into that.

If you bought a car because it had a back up camera, and during a routine oil change the dealer deactivated it because "not enough people used it", you would be understandably upset, no? This seems like the same thing to me.

As far as the app goes, I have had nothing but trouble with it. Half the time the alerts don't come through unless I have the app open. If I leave the app and come back, it won't connect to the grill until I hard close and reopen it. The search for recipes is awful, I can type in a key word and get no results but will find the exact wording i was looking for when scrolling. I've found it much easier to just Google recipes and set timers outside the app.

All in all, this app update is awful and I will be looking for a way to get a refund if you can't get this resolved.

Feeling bait and switched,

Paul

Dear Traeger,

I purchased a pro 760 in February after much back and forth between this product and a pitboss. The ONLY reason I chose the traeger (which was a few hundred dollars more) was because of the ability to set custom cook cycles on the app.

I like to smoke enough food for a decent sized group of decent sized people and will often times start my cook before bed. I chose your product so that I wouldn't need to wake up in the middle of the night to change temps. Now, I must wake up in the middle of the night to change temps.

I'm not sure the legality of selling a product with certain features and then removing said features after purchase, but I am currently looking into that.

If you bought a car because it had a back up camera, and during a routine oil change the dealer deactivated it because "not enough people used it", you would be understandably upset, no? This seems like the same thing to me.

As far as the app goes, I have had nothing but trouble with it. Half the time the alerts don't come through unless I have the app open. If I leave the app and come back, it won't connect to the grill until I hard close and reopen it. The search for recipes is awful, I can type in a key word and get no results but will find the exact wording i was looking for when scrolling. I've found it much easier to just Google recipes and set timers outside the app.

All in all, this app update is awful and I will be looking for a way to get a refund if you can't get this resolved.

Paul
There was a new update on iOS today. Did that help at all?

I have an android phone. Hopefully when i get that update it fixes everything, but I won't hold my breath.

Dear Traeger,

Paul

Paul,

There is another thread on here that included the feedback from Traeger per an email exchange on Custom Cooks disappearing in the "new" App - here is the snippet:

see the following email reply from Traeger to someone who sent them an email expressing his disappointment over losing the Custom Cooks feature in the old App, as well as the challenges with getting his Grill to update to the current Firmware / Config level to support 500 degrees:

<Traeger Reply>
Thanks for reaching out. Custom cook cycles were not included in release for the new app. Here is why. When looking at cooks both custom cooks and manual, the usage rate for user created custom cook cycles was extremely low, I'm talking less than 1% of total cooks. Sending the string of information from user generated custom cook requires substantial development work and we prioritized other parts of that application that were more highly used.

We will be sending out a firmware update that will allow Pro grills to set 2 custom cook cycles directly from the grill in the coming weeks. This firmware update will also include the 500 degree increase for Pro’s. The firmware team is planning to send that as soon as May rolls around.

Thanks for reaching out and helping us improve the application.
</End Traeger Reply>

Latest Discussions

Back