Help! Need help with rubs.

paulicam

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton620
Hi folks,

I'm relatively new to Traegering. I have a problem. All five of the Traeger rubs that I bought have turned into cement in their cans over the course of six months.

Anything I can do to prevent this? Info appreciated.

Paulicam

Try this; my bet is you'll just toss those jars of cement in the trash.

My rub recipe

2 tbs Coarse Kosher Salt

2 tbs Course Ground Pepper

2 tbs Sugar

2 tbs Brown Sugar

4 tbs Paprika

1 tbs Onion Powder

1 tbs Garlic Powder

2 tbs Mustard Powder

1 tbs Ground Italian Seasoning

1 tsp ground Tarragon Leaves

1/2 tsp Ground Coriander

1/2 tsp Ground Cumin

1/2 tsp Ground Thyme

1/2 tsp Ground Cayenne

Hi folks,

I'm relatively new to Traegering. I have a problem. All five of the Traeger rubs that I bought have turned into cement in their cans over the course of six months.

Anything I can do to prevent this? Info appreciated.

Paulicam

Nope. It happens with most rubs without a caking agent.

What I do is put on some nitrile gloves and get the rub out of the jar and into a bowl were I break it up with my fingers back into its original form and then put it back in the rub's original container. Then is easy to shake out and use.

If your rubs are six months old, you need to be using your grill more. ;)

Once opened, spices oxidize and start to lose their flavor. If they are not kept in a cool, dry place, that oxidation can happen fairly quickly. It is recommended that spices and herbs be replaced once a year, but that is up to you.

The best way to grind up spices is using a mortar and pestle. As long as you can get the rub out of the can, a mortar and pestle will make quick work of reducing the lumps to powder. A small inexpensive one should work just fine:

Thanks Ray.I'll be using grill more. Winter got in the way.

Paulicam

Thanks Ray.I'll be using grill more. Winter got in the way.

Paulicam

I just got my grill a couple of days ago. Previously, I used a gas grill. With the cold, windy days of a Chicago winter and even spring (it is currently 43 degrees), it was difficult to use the gas grill if the temperature dropped below 50 degrees. Even above 50 F I had to keep running in and out of the house to check on the grill temperature. That is one of the reasons I wanted the Traeger. There are folks in Canada that continue to use their grills, even with below freezing temps. Next fall, I plan to pick up a welding blanket to keep my Ironwood warm with the hope that I can smoke Thanksgiving turkey and maybe even Christmas ham on the Traeger. With the Traeger app, I can monitor the cook from inside the house rather than having to babysit the gas grill in the cold.

Enjoy your grill! I hope your rubs are salvageable. :)

Paulicam: throw a teaspoon or so of uncooked white rice in each jar. They won't interfere much with the shaker portion of your pour and are easy to pick off if you accidentally add them onto your meat.

RayClem: I have run my Traeger 75 in temps down to 0 deg f using the Traeger store bought blanket set. It is worth the money because it works and saves a bunch of pellets. Also ran it in snow storms and hail storms. I do not run it on purpose in heavy rain or thunderstorms because of the electronics. I have rigged ponchos in heavy rain if I am in the middle of a cook and got away with it.

my two cents... v/r arcee

Last edited:
Paulicam: throw a teaspoon or so of uncooked white rice in each jar. They won't interfere much with the shaker portion of your pour and are easy to pick off if you accidentally add them onto your meat.

RayClem: I have run my Traeger 75 in temps down to 0 deg f using the Traeger store bought blanket set. It is worth the money because it works and saves a bunch of pellets. Also ran it in snow storms and hail storms. I do not run it on purpose in heavy rain or thunderstorms because of the electronics. I have rigged ponchos in heavy rain if I am in the middle of a cook and got away with it.

my two cents... v/r arcee

Traeger does not make an insulation blanket for the Ironwood. The Ironwood and Timberline designs exhaust hot gases down and out the back of the grill rather than up through a chimney. The Ironwood is double wall side panels which helps, but does not have double walls elsewhere like the more expensive Timberline grills. Thus, Ironwood owners have to rig up their own insulation design, normally using welding blankets. It is not ideal, but it is better than nothing.

I have considered purchasing a dining fly to install over my grill should an unexpected thunderstorm arise.

Yep. I haven't checked on blankets since I bought my Timberlines. I bought them after I moved to Florida. Now only rain and thunderstorms (lightning). No more cold for me or my cookers.

v/r rc

Yep. I haven't checked on blankets since I bought my Timberlines. I bought them after I moved to Florida. Now only rain and thunderstorms (lightning). No more cold for me or my cookers.

v/r rc
With the double wall insulation on the Timberlines, you should be good. I have been in Northern Illinois for over 20 years. We usually get a few days per year with temperatures below 0 F. The coldest I experienced was 25 below zero F. That is too cold for grilling, even with an blanket on the grill.

A couple Xmas's ago we had temps below zero in the morning. I had a prime rib on with a Harbor Freight welding blanket and had no issues. Compared to the Traeger blanket which last check was well over 100.00, the HF welding blanket does the trick.

I hope to use my Traeger for the Thanksgiving turkey and for the Christmas ham. Since no official blanket is available for the Ironwood, I will probably pick up one of the welding blankets from Harbor Freight or order one through Amazon.

You can also use dried beans if you find the rice keeps coming out of the shaker and onto your food.

I used to just shake the bottle really hard to break it up. It works, but I ended up with $10 of MeatChurch rub all over my kitchen.

I think different Traeger units with different levels of insulation will behave differently. Also, I use my Pro 575 exclusively for low and slow cooking and never go above 300 degrees. For low and slow cooking summer is more of an issue than winter and I have to make sure that it is not in direct sunlight as it will get too hot. In winter it works perfectly, no blanket needed.

Nope. It happens with most rubs without a caking agent.

What I do is put on some nitrile gloves and get the rub out of the jar and into a bowl were I break it up with my fingers back into its original form and then put it back in the rub's original container. Then is easy to shake out and use.
Works for me…

Back