Need a little help with iOS app

disrael

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
I recently purchased an Ironwood 885. Takes a little getting used to, but we're really happy with the food we're producing. However, I had some questions about using the app, it doesn't seem all that intuitive...

1. When using the app, I can't seem to change the temperature of the grill or the temp alarm on the probe from the app. It allows me to select the temp, but just never changes. If I walk out to the grill and change the settings manually, they are reflected in the app within a reasonable amount of time.

2. Even with the probe alarm on, I don't get notified when I hit the temp I'm seeking. Is this normal? I don't see the point of monitoring an "alarm" in the app if there's no buzzer/bell. It just hits the temp and turns the target temp off. (I did find a topic that said you need to turn on notifications, but I went through the app and couldn't find the setting. I also went to Notification settings for my phone and couldn't find the Traeger app in the list. Lastly, I went to the iPhone settings and scrolled all the way down to the Traeger app and didn't find any notification settings. Am I missing something?)

3. Other features are hit and miss. Super smoke seems to turn off and on from the app without issue. As does shutdown (I tried it twice, it worked both times). I was unable to switch to "Keep Warm" (I needed to use it once and tried several times, but it wouldn't take, so I had to walk out to the grill and do it)

I am "guessing" that wifi connectivity on the grill might be an issue for 1 and 3 (But I'd like a second opinion before laying out $$$ for a wifi extender). For #2, probably user error, but I can't figure out the right way.

Any kicks in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I'd say that a Wi-Fi extender would help with control issues. I bought a cheap 2.4ghz access point an placed it nearest to my grilling area.

Regarding temp alerts, unfortunately the Traeger fails miserably there. I primarily went to the Fireboard 2 for its reliable alerts, add its logging, comp needle probes and it's a serious improvement overall. I run it on my Apple Watch when cooking for quick glance of temps, killer!

I don't rely on Treager's probe or alarms so I can't help you there. I use a Fireboard. On changing the temp, after selecting the temp there should be a 'confirm' button below the numbers. Do you have it and hit it?

I don't rely on Treager's probe or alarms so I can't help you there. I use a Fireboard. On changing the temp, after selecting the temp there should be a 'confirm' button below the numbers. Do you have it and hit it?

I would also like to emphasize the "Confirm" button. You have to scroll down to see it.

Yep, definitely hitting the confirm button, but no go.

Looking into wifi extenders that will work with my router.

I ran a Cat5 cable from my router to the spot I located the cheap 2.4ghz access point.

There are some plug in types as well that use your power line as the connection. This is a very low bandwidth application so a plug-in solution would probably work well.

Here's a cheap one on Amazon Prime day, $14 cheap!

NETGEAR Wi-Fi Range Extender EX2700 - Coverage Up to 800 Sq Ft and 10 devices with N300 Wireless Signal Booster & Repeater (Up to 300Mbps Speed), and Compact Wall Plug Design https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L0YLRUW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_E0CZQCT72XCDB79F84X1?psc=1

The controller should have a reading for WIFI signal strength. I'm not a tech but it seems odd that you would get partial function from a weak signal. Slow on everything? Maybe but partial? It doesn't make sense to me.

The controller should have a reading for WIFI signal strength. I'm not a tech but it seems odd that you would get partial function from a weak signal. Slow on everything? Maybe but partial? It doesn't make sense to me.
Agreed, doesn’t make sense to me either.
can also check the signal in the app, under settings

I have seen flaky control.

Go into settings>WiFi >About and see what dB it indicates. There is also a small strength icon on the resting display, upper right corner.

If WiFi is the issue, take a look at setting up a mesh network instead of an extender. They are very good at increasing coverage, and without the speed loss that typically happens with an extender. I set up a 3-piece system from Deco (Deco-5) and it was well worth the $129.

I have never had issues with the shutdown myself and have only used the keep-warm on occasion. Like all software, sometimes things get wonky, so force close/open and reboot your phone every once in a while. I do also use the Apple Watch app to change temps though like others here, I use other probes to monitor temps - in my case Inkibird.

Good luck!

If WiFi is the issue, take a look at setting up a mesh network instead of an extender. They are very good at increasing coverage, and without the speed loss that typically happens with an extender. I set up a 3-piece system from Deco (Deco-5) and it was well worth the $129.

I have never had issues with the shutdown myself and have only used the keep-warm on occasion. Like all software, sometimes things get wonky, so force close/open and reboot your phone every once in a while. I do also use the Apple Watch app to change temps though like others here, I use other probes to monitor temps - in my case Inkibird.

Good luck!
Ditto on a Mesh network. 👍

Looking on checking the strength and upgrading the network. Understood on the software (I'm a developer, I get it).

Still perplexed how to get the alarm working. Even if I choose to upgrade to a better probe alarm, would be nice to get it working.

My InkBird alarms work well on my iPhone and then are also pushed to the Apple Watch, so other than making sure that notifications permissions are given, maybe a good-old-delete-reinstall :)

My InkBird alarms work well on my iPhone and then are also pushed to the Apple Watch, so other than making sure that notifications permissions are given, maybe a good-old-delete-reinstall :)
Where can I find the notification permissions? As noted above, I couldn't find them in the obvious places.

Thanks!

Looking on checking the strength and upgrading the network. Understood on the software (I'm a developer, I get it).

Still perplexed how to get the alarm working. Even if I choose to upgrade to a better probe alarm, would be nice to get it working.
If you upgrade to a better probe system, it will have its own alarms and app. Most of us just use the Traeger app to set the pit temp according to what our FireBoard tells us to. You really can’t rely on the Traeger meat probe or the ambient probe for accuracy. Is a FireBoard pricey? About the same price as 3 ruined whole packer prime briskets. Well, maybe 2 briskets, since meat prices have skyrocketed. 👍

Latest Discussions

Back