My Timberline 850 Won't Light...

Thanks Dave! This helps immensely. I do have access to a multimeter (owning several). I'm not sure why I didn't think about that earlier. I measured the line coming from the controller but not the the leads going to the hot rod.
Cheers,
-BillR.

Thanks Dave! This helps immensely. I do have access to a multimeter (owning several). I'm not sure why I didn't think about that earlier. I measured the line coming from the controller but not the the leads going to the hot rod.
Cheers,
-BillR.
Guess you missed my suggestion earlier to measures the resistance of your old and new hotrods. They could be open or the old one open and the new one the incorrect part. This should have been a quick fix, hang in there!

Hi to all in the tf,

I’m so much hoping someone can provide thought on the below and apologies if this is a common or repeat question. I’ve searched the internet for answers the last nights and surprisingly found no help.

The basics. I have a Timberline 850 with the Gen 1 controller rated voltage 230V AC as I am in Europe Model TFB85WLBG. The grill has worked fine until now, and the primary issue is the induction fan does not run, initial result the grill will not light. I saw on a thread to swap over the power feed from the auger fan to the induction fan, and this shows the fan component itself works OK. So the fan works…..obviously I have switched these back after testing.

Using the voltmeter, I can see that no voltage seems to be coming from the controller to power the induction fan. I have removed the controller (Gen1 with Wi-Fi) and checked here and under the pellet hopper for loose connection but nothing visible.

Auger turns as should no power issue. no rod heats up well, but ignition does not work as induction fan is needed.

My conclusion…. maybe wrong seems to lead to a faulty controller. Seems odd that this worked and then simply stopped but that’s life.

Following this logic, I thought to buy a new gen 1 controller but don’t see anywhere on google who sells these. I also appreciate I cannot substitute a Gen 2 controller AC/DC threads… What I am worried about is that I’m stuck. well I’m more worried that I have to tell the better half that the really expensive grill, I "MAN" justified as needed, is kaput… I’m hoping someone can “show me the light” or correct my logic and guide me to a repaired grill… Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
The controller drives the fan by switching line power to it thru either a relay or solid state device which has failed. There must be a place to get a new controller somewhere!

WOW what a great reply time.. Appreciate sharing the knowledge across the pond to the UK. I've tried google to find a controller however they just don't come up. I can get augers, fans in abundance but not mention of gen 1 controllers.
via https://www.traeger.com/parts, these are not referenced. Just now I have called traeger customer service who will provide me a address of a local store. Ill try these agents, as I imagine they are trying to support their network with spares and parts work.. Hopefully I get someone with knowledge on these topics....

Hopefully Traeger support can help. I have found their support on my Timberline pretty good, they have had access to more parts than I could find anywhere else.

Closing the loop on my Timberline 850 that wouldn't light. I validated it is a Generation 1. I also ordered a new controller board via Traeger support line (I checked all the local Platinum Dealers in my area and none had a controller board for my model). I swapped it out in about 20 minutes and am cooking again.

Traeger tech support in my opinion is getting better. They sent me a link via SMS and then you end up sharing your camera and mic so that the tech support can see your issue. The troubleshooting skills of the tech support is also really good. I found it most helpful.

Closing the loop on my Timberline 850 that wouldn't light. I validated it is a Generation 1. I also ordered a new controller board via Traeger support line (I checked all the local Platinum Dealers in my area and none had a controller board for my model). I swapped it out in about 20 minutes and am cooking again.

Traeger tech support in my opinion is getting better. They sent me a link via SMS and then you end up sharing your camera and mic so that the tech support can see your issue. The troubleshooting skills of the tech support is also really good. I found it most helpful.

Excellent news, honestly, I've gotten that same support for my Timberline for two years now. The video share is great.

Latest Discussions

Back