My "free" Pro 780 is going to leave me broke!

Murphy's Law

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780 Bronze
So my daughter won a sales contest at work and one of the choices for her prize was a Traeger Pro780, which she ordered and gave to me for Christmas. So far this "free grill" has cost me:

- Bought at least 10 bags of pellets (various blends) which cost me a few hundred (many of them are Traeger brand but I am starting to just get Pit Boss now)
- Pro 780 front shelf for $70 or so
- Pellet sensor for $60
- Numerous accessories (liners, hooks, silicon brush, etc)...figure about a $100 or so
- Sous Vide for $125 (never on my radar until this)
- Inkbird wifi remote thermometer (didn't like it so I am giving it to my son-in-law) cost $100
- Fireboard 2 with probes set me back around $300

And to top it off...I am already wondering if I should just sell this one "slightly used" and upgrade to a Timberline!

So much for a "free grill". :D

So my daughter won a sales contest at work and one of the choices for her prize was a Traeger Pro780, which she ordered and gave to me for Christmas. So far this "free grill" has cost me:

- Bought at least 10 bags of pellets (various blends) which cost me a few hundred (many of them are Traeger brand but I am starting to just get Pit Boss now)
- Pellet sensor for $60
- Numerous accessories (liners, hooks, silicon brush, etc)...figure about a $100 or so
- Inkbird wifi remote thermometer (didn't like it so I am giving it to my son-in-law) cost $100

And to top it off...I am already wondering if I should just sell this one "slightly used" and upgrade to a Timberline!

100% true 🙂. My wife and others tell me my 1 1/2 month old Timberline 1300 $2K grill is already up to 4K. I don't hunk I have about $200 in just rubs!!!

And if you don't have these,hers another $80 to spend...

Enjoy!!!

100% true 🙂. My wife and others tell me my 1 1/2 month old Timberline 1300 $2K grill is already up to 4K. I don't hunk I have about $200 in just rubs!!!

And if you don't have these,hers another $80 to spend...

Enjoy!!!
I forgot about the rubs but they were only $40 (so far). Grill grates worth it?

I love them for searing the meats, especially steaks, burgers, chicken cutlets etc. I also a cast iron skillet which is quite handy.

I too use Pit Boss pellets with success, less expensive Bryan Traeger's, especially if you get them at Walmart or Lowes.

-GG

I know why you mean. Year ago Feb 1’st
was my 40’th work anniversary and I chose Ironwood 650 as my gift! Son asks so Dad was it worth 40 years of your life for a free smoker. HE!! No -:)

Now you need an outdoor kitchen to go with your Free Grill. 🤪

And now just think of all the meat your gonna have to buy to put into your free grill, and don't forget the vacuum sealer!

And now just think of all the meat your gonna have to buy to put into your free grill, and don't forget the vacuum sealer!

I already have a vac sealer. One of my other “vices” is home brewing. I bought the vac sealer so I can buy hops in bulk and keep them vac sealed in the freezer.

Yeah, spend about $100 to save $20. ;)

I already have a vac sealer. One of my other “vices” is home brewing. I bought the vac sealer so I can buy hops in bulk and keep them vac sealed in the freezer.

Yeah, spend about $100 to save $20. ;)
That $20 more you can buy meat with! 😁

Free razor. Buy blades forever

- Pellet sensor for $60

I know how you feel. I am a flyfisher and go to New Zealand when ever I can. We have estimated that each trout we catch costs us $50 in relation to gear, flies, wader etc that we never seem to have enough off.

- Pellet sensor for $60

Same here, I not only have 10 types of Pellets, also 10x 5 gal buckets w/ lids, Pellet Sifter, a shed to put them in, Grill Grates, Fireboard 2, Cast Iron Pans, Foil pans (4 sizes), rubs and sauces, new grill tools, High temp gloves, Insulation kit... Now I am buying a lot more Meat in bigger sizes, at least 1x15-19 lb brisket every 2 weeks, Ribs in vac packs, Salmon, whole chicken, Pork butts and Pork Belly.... the problem is that it is so good....
But yes the grill is just a starting point and I traded my Costco Grill in for a Timberline in about 6 weeks ( another story), I am afraid to add up all the stuff that I bought... ( BTW there are only 2 of us left in the house)

I'm lucky in that I had a lot of gear already from homebrewing (lots of buckets and lids, high temp gloves, MK4, vac sealer, etc) so it kept some of the pain down....a little!

I am looking at GrillGrates or a cast iron griddle now. I sear steaks in a cast iron skillet so I figure this would work as well.

And I'm in the same 2 person boat as you! I just sliced a ~9# pork belly so my drinking buddies don't know it yet but they are getting bacon tonight.

Latest Discussions

Back