My First Attempt at Pellet Grilling

Big Man Dan

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I fired up my brand new Ironwood 650 last night (after seasoning it of course) and smoked a spatchcocked chicken. I used the temperature probe to cook it 165F and lest it rest a bit. I checked the temp in two locations and was over 165 at both. The chicken was tasty but still seemeda bit underdone. My family is very sensitive to chicken doneness so I would love any tips you can offer on how to ensure that happens. The bird took about an hour and 15 minutes to reach temp.

The Traeger probe is notoriously inaccurate, no matter how many time you calibrate it or have it replaced under warranty.
Many of us here use FireBoard 2 leave in probes, and a Thermapen MK4 instant read to verify all temps.

See James B’s comment… I use a FB with comp probes and a MK4. Depending on your grill temperature will see how close to reality your Traeger probe is. You really want to cook by temperature not time, these accessories will put you in the grove for excellent results…

We are assuming you checked the temp with the Traeger probe, is that what you used or something else? I have an MK4 and when I do chicken breasts I usually run them to anywhere between 160 and 165 and then let them rest. They are always done and always juicy.

Was just pricing some external probes. ThemoPro and Inkbird are are closer to what I want to spend. Are they a decent option?

Was just pricing some external probes. ThemoPro and Inkbird are are closer to what I want to spend. Are they a decent option?
You couldn’t give me a ThermoPro ( to many raw chickens)….
I suppose ink bird is ok.

Last edited:
You couldn’t give me a ThermoPro ( to many raw chickens)….
I suppose ink bird is ok.
John is correct. MK4 is on sale. However, go with the one you can afford eventually you can upgrade later when you spot a good deal. I started out with decent ones that gives me good reading.

With the MK4 being on sale you should grab one. I know in the beginning it seems like a big investment for a thermometer. But the first time someone gets sick, or you trash a 90.00 brisket because your thermometer is off 10 degrees you realize you are saving money in the long run. I tested my on board Traeger probe against my MK 4 and found it is off but not as much as other. I use it as a guide and once it gets within 10-15 degrees I check with my MK4. If I am cooking something smaller like chicken breast I just spot check with the MK4 and don't mess with the Traeger probe at all.

^^^ This.

If the MK4 is out the budget at $69, the Thermoworks POP is another solid option. It's usually around $35.

What temp did you cook the chicken at?

On the low end a ThermaPro TP03 is $14, it is not a MK4, but it is 1/5th the cost…

Latest Discussions

Back