My email to Treager about custom cooks, and the new app update.

Bruce N

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
Wrote an Email to Traeger concerning losing the custom cooks, and not getting the update to get the grill up to 500 degrees. I do have to say that Traeger does do a great job with customer service, and the reply did surprise me, because I really thought they would maybe read it and then deep six it. So will post the Email to them first, then the reply from Traeger...

Not sure what to think about Traeger anymore. Purchased a Pro 780 a few days before this update, an over $1000 purchase, and loved it. Then just a few days later I find out about this upgrade, and how now my grill will reach 500 degrees for some great searing. Well no upgrade on the Traeger, non on the App, and I lost all my custom cooks, which is one of the reasons I upgraded. You have really dropped the ball on this Traeger. I want my custom cooks back....

Now their reply

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for reaching out. Custom cook cycles were not included in release for the new app. Here is why. When looking at cooks both custom cooks and manual, the usage rate for user created custom cook cycles was extremely low, I'm talking less than 1% of total cooks. Sending the string of information from user generated custom cook requires substantial development work and we prioritized other parts of that application that were more highly used.

We will be sending out a firmware update that will allow Pro grills to set 2 custom cook cycles directly from the grill in the coming weeks. This firmware update will also include the 500 degree increase for Pro’s. The firmware team is planning to send that as soon as May rolls around.

Thanks for reaching out and helping us improve the application.

well May has rolled around and I am waiting! Would you mind sharing their email address?

I don't think "as soon as May rolls around" really meant May 1st - we will be lucky to get this by end of next week is my guess/hope ... [email protected] is their standard support email address ...

Wrote an Email to Traeger concerning losing the custom cooks, and not getting the update to get the grill up to 500 degrees. I do have to say that Traeger does do a great job with customer service, and the reply did surprise me, because I really thought they would maybe read it and then deep six it. So will post the Email to them first, then the reply from Traeger...

Not sure what to think about Traeger anymore. Purchased a Pro 780 a few days before this update, an over $1000 purchase, and loved it. Then just a few days later I find out about this upgrade, and how now my grill will reach 500 degrees for some great searing. Well no upgrade on the Traeger, non on the App, and I lost all my custom cooks, which is one of the reasons I upgraded. You have really dropped the ball on this Traeger. I want my custom cooks back....

Now their reply

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for reaching out. Custom cook cycles were not included in release for the new app. Here is why. When looking at cooks both custom cooks and manual, the usage rate for user created custom cook cycles was extremely low, I'm talking less than 1% of total cooks. Sending the string of information from user generated custom cook requires substantial development work and we prioritized other parts of that application that were more highly used.

We will be sending out a firmware update that will allow Pro grills to set 2 custom cook cycles directly from the grill in the coming weeks. This firmware update will also include the 500 degree increase for Pro’s. The firmware team is planning to send that as soon as May rolls around.

Thanks for reaching out and helping us improve the application.
have you received the upgrade yet?

have you received the upgrade yet?

I have not for my 780 - still on 02.00.01 / 03.007 - I check the WiFIRE Status Page (https://www.traegergrills.com/status) daily, and no changes recently other than they finally updated the listed App versions for iOS & Android (which are now no longer accurate with the most recent updates) ... Given the release dates for the January and March Updates, if that is any indication of when they will be posted, we're looking at Week 2 or 3 for May ...

I'm on 02.00.01 as well, but my pro 575 goes 500F/260C.
My grill has been online/standby for at least a month.

So they basically bricked my Traeger.

If you are referring to the issue of the WiFIRE Controller unexpected shutting off after installing the recent May Update releases for Firmware / Config Version, there is a workaround to at least be able to still cook via the dial & display (you need to remove the WiFIRE Controller from your Home Wi-Fi Network via the Forget Network option under Wi-Fi Information on the controller display) ...

In the interim they need to figure out if this can be programmatically resolved, or if it will require shipping out replacement controllers to everyone who has been impacted ... everyone who has called in seems to have been put on a list for a replacement controller ...

Traeger,

Custom cooks on the previous app were tricky to setup and use. Maybe that is why people did not use them. Taking them away is a real feature downgrade, a step backward. They belong on the app.

Traeger,

Custom cooks on the previous app were tricky to setup and use. Maybe that is why people did not use them. Taking them away is a real feature downgrade, a step backward. They belong on the app.
One of the reasons we bought our new Traeger was for the custom cook cycles. Bummed it’s gone.

One of the reasons we bought our new Traeger was for the custom cook cycles. Bummed it’s gone.
Same here!!! I originally bought a where pellet grill and returned it the same day because the app didn’t work the way it was promised for this very feature, several months later the traeger app drops it.

I really need that feature back. Custom cook cycles has been a major reason for the purchase. Right now, I can only advise against one purchase. 2500€ and you can't setup your own cook cycle...

i have found traeger's customer service to be horrible. i spent months trying to get a new $2500 grill fixed. now one of the most useful features that they sold me on when i bought the grill has been removed. we are supposed to stand outside trying to program a series of instructions into the grill using a knob and a button when i have a smartphone connected to the grill? ridiculous. shouldn't even be legal to take a feature away. imagine buying a car then one day Ford tells you they took your air conditioning away because not many people used it.

this company has gone downhill since mr skull candy took over.

Treager keeps throwing out this "only 1%" used the custom cook feature. Well, the initial implementation of it was lousy; it was difficult to use and program, updating the steps was wonky and easy to lose your place, so that might have been the problem! But it doesn't mean it wasn't a good feature! Treager, I dont want to sit around and babysit this grill at the console or on my phone. I want to run a program that I make to my needs. Thats a primary reason why I paid so much money for this thing. Rethink it.

i just can't believe that this feature is so little used. the real question is how many people are upset but don't get in touch??? :mad: how was it actually determined if the function is used?

Latest Discussions

Back