MORE SMOKE NEEDED...SD generator?

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
I’m thinking about getting the Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator PIG for my ironwood. Just purchased my first pellet grill (the 885) ever, and disappointed in the flavor. Love the convenience, but hardly any smoke flavor. Tubes don’t work enough either! I wish I could get close to my stick burner, so hoping the generator works.

Has anyone used the generator? Resulted comparing a stick burner to the generator?

I feel your pain as an i885er myself I truly understand. While I have no answer to your questions I would like to ask a few as I have grown to enjoy the ol i885..

How many cooks have you gotten in? Seems like the more I use mine the better it gets. Have you updated? I noticed once I did more visible smoke. This is not to be confused with a stick burner but certainly more than what I originally was getting. Also pellets what brand and blend/s are you using? I personally am still experimenting in this arena but will say there is a difference with what I’ve tried thus far. I have another brand coming this week that will get used probably this weekend! I don’t want to mention brands as I don’t want it to turn into that type of debate...

If you haven’t updated or tried different pellets I’d suggest this as a starting point and a cheaper alternative first. Updates free and pellets well they’ll get used regardless LoL.

Hope this helps

I've done easily a cook a week, if not more, since I got it in December.

What do you mean by "Have I updated"? Is there a way to do a software update that I don't know about. I thought the app told me to do one when I first fired it up, and did I did it.

For pellets I have attempted a couple different brands. This past weekend I even tried some lump charcoal pellets, but very subtle difference (it's there, but subtle). I usually go for mesquite because I'm trying to get as strong as I can just to see it working, but so far not strong enough. Although I'll admit, I do notice a difference with Bear Mountain Gourmet blend and they do produce a good flavor (but again, still too subtle for me).

I was looking into something call the p-setting, but can't seem to find it on the Ironwood 885. Perhaps it isn't there.

Here's a turkey pic from today tonights dinner just for fun.

Thoughts?

I feel your pain as an i885er myself I truly understand. While I have no answer to your questions I would like to ask a few as I have grown to enjoy the ol i885..

How many cooks have you gotten in? Seems like the more I use mine the better it gets. Have you updated? I noticed once I did more visible smoke. This is not to be confused with a stick burner but certainly more than what I originally was getting. Also pellets what brand and blend/s are you using? I personally am still experimenting in this arena but will say there is a difference with what I’ve tried thus far. I have another brand coming this week that will get used probably this weekend! I don’t want to mention brands as I don’t want it to turn into that type of debate...

If you haven’t updated or tried different pellets I’d suggest this as a starting point and a cheaper alternative first. Updates free and pellets well they’ll get used regardless LoL.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_2000.JPG
    IMG_2000.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 76
I’d say it has gotten some good use then!

There are firmware updates that you can check through the app or on the cooker itself. I will say you will want to be on a 2.4 band and not a 5g. For some reason it doesnt like the 5g. I learned the hard way and waited three or four weeks on a new controller. Which in fairness Traeger did tell me upfront its going to be a while.

P setting is on the older models. I don’t believe anything with the D2 wifire etc has a P setting thats been accessed yet..

Turkey looks good. I did a meat cake AKA meatloaf but it was so big my wife said thats a damn cake LoL. Probably one of my favorite things off the traeger thus far! Ribs, brisket, butts etc are good but this thing turned out way beyond my expectations and when you know how to cook the others mentioned you need something different to impress the old lady LoL.

If you go for more smoke share with us the results. I’m very torn that I have to added something to a cooker thats already expensive to get the flavor I want. It would be nice to have some access to a P setting for those of us who want more smoke flavor if possible. Maybe two or three intensity levels...

Attachments

• F9D490EB-99F1-4A45-A6D1-99BDA8499A5E.jpeg
    F9D490EB-99F1-4A45-A6D1-99BDA8499A5E.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 795ECA1D-B4CF-4BFD-BC78-4F5EA73FAB61.jpeg
    795ECA1D-B4CF-4BFD-BC78-4F5EA73FAB61.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 57
I'm surprised that the smoke tube didn't do it for you. I used one for the first time the other day on my ironwood 650 and there was a very noticeable difference both taste-wise and visually. Maybe the size difference in the grills is to blame?

Well I ordered the smoke daddy and it arrived tomorrow!!! Can’t wait to test it...

I'm surprised that the smoke tube didn't do it for you. I used one for the first time the other day on my ironwood 650 and there was a very noticeable difference both taste-wise and visually. Maybe the size difference in the grills is to blame?
Used the smoke generator today from smoke daddy and it was perfect! Tasted like my drum smoker, but has all the benefits of a traeger!!!

I can use pellet mode for light smoke or go full throttle now with the generator.Super stoked!

I purchased the big kahuna, wanted the PIG but was pretty impatient (out of stock) and figured I could save the money anyway.

Some quick pix attached (ignore the Amazen tube, that’s for lighter smokes). I took off the side shelf so I could put the attachment exactly where I wanted the smoke to enter the traeger. I put the tube to push the smoke dead center with the drip tube and 3.5” above the drip tray on the inside.

still working on how to adjust the drip tray, I think I’ll get a larger bucket. I was worried ash would fall out the bottom of the big kahuna so I wanted it to get caught by the trip bucket also. Turns out the kahuna doesn’t have much ash anyway (used a mix of lump charcoal and chips so far)

Im also considering a 90 degree elbow so I can put the canister on the back of the smoker and put the shelf back on. I’ll upgrade to a front shelf soon as well.

Attachments

• 3CA95A44-24C7-4526-B700-B3C9075976BC.jpeg
    3CA95A44-24C7-4526-B700-B3C9075976BC.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 294
  • 4D59811C-9E6B-42C3-8B36-FA736CD34489.jpeg
    4D59811C-9E6B-42C3-8B36-FA736CD34489.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 294
Thanks for the information and pictures. I've got one of the a-maze-n pellet smokers that I'm going to try before going all in on something like yours. Honestly, I didn't really have a problem with the smoke flavor in the first few cooks that I've done on the IW but have another brisket planned for next weekend and will give the maze a shot with that and see what I think.

I also have plans to add a searing stating to that side of the grill (getting rid of the almost redundant gas grill) so I will have to do some careful planning before making permanent mods.

I purchased the big kahuna, wanted the PIG but was pretty impatient (out of stock) and figured I could save the money anyway.

Some quick pix attached (ignore the Amazen tube, that’s for lighter smokes). I took off the side shelf so I could put the attachment exactly where I wanted the smoke to enter the traeger. I put the tube to push the smoke dead center with the drip tube and 3.5” above the drip tray on the inside.

still working on how to adjust the drip tray, I think I’ll get a larger bucket. I was worried ash would fall out the bottom of the big kahuna so I wanted it to get caught by the trip bucket also. Turns out the kahuna doesn’t have much ash anyway (used a mix of lump charcoal and chips so far)

Im also considering a 90 degree elbow so I can put the canister on the back of the smoker and put the shelf back on. I’ll upgrade to a front shelf soon as well.

Thanks for the tips!

I changed horses, after seeing your tip, I ordered a Kuhuna, then I was studying in more detail how this would all work on my 850. I stumbled on another brand cold smoker (Bella's "Smokin-It") and, well, it smoked the Kuhuna. It uses pellets or chips, lights in 20sec, runs up to 8 hrs!, and is much cooler, like 80F Cost is a tad lower, it's all stainless steel, and it mounts better onto the 850, so the Kuhuna got cancelled.

Here's a great video comparison;

I'll be putting it in on the left side, but down under the shelf. I'll cut a square hole in the shelf for the smoker, with it's lid flush with the shelf top surface.

Here's the link to the unit;

I loved the idea of a gas Sear Station mod on the left side, but I'm now using GrillGrates "sear station inserts" to give a good sear at 450F, so the smoker can go on the side.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips!

I changed horses, after seeing your tip, I ordered a Kuhuna, then I was studying in more detail how this would all work on my 850. I stumbled on another brand cold smoker (Bella's "Smokin-It") and, well, it smoked the Kuhuna. It uses only pellets, lights in 20sec, runs up to 8 hrs!, and is much cooler, like 80F Cost is a tad lower, it's all stainless steel, and it mounts better onto the 850, so the Kuhuna got cancelled.

Here's a great video comparison;

I'll be putting it in on the left side, but down under the shelf. I'll cut a square hole in the shelf for the smoker, with it's lid flush with the shelf top surface.

Here's the link to the unit;

I loved the idea of the Sear Station mod on the left side, but I'm settling for the "just adequate" Traeger 500F to sear so the smoker can go here.
Let us know how it turns out and send some pix.

Let us know how it turns out and send some pix.
Will do, it was delayed in shipping, they upgraded to a newer model, same size but heavier gage stainless and silicone air line. It is now on the way, due early next week.

While I'm in the grill boring holes in it, I'm going to look over the smoke exits on the timberline, in the rear right and left. I'm going to see if there is a way to insulate that area slightly to avoid the overheating and paint damage that some have shown. I now do think that the design might be off in that area, getting too hot when high temps are used. I have seen some plumbing heat shields for soldering, made of heavy aluminum foil and glass mat. Time to break out the thermal camera!

@Pits_N_Pellets - can you post some details about which model you ordered and how you integrated it into the grill?

@RemE

Update, replaced with a 9” pipe and elbow so I can put the shelf back on. Still fits under the cover as well.

Attachments

• CC4625B1-76A8-4C8F-98EF-402413FE5710.jpeg
    CC4625B1-76A8-4C8F-98EF-402413FE5710.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 13DCD78D-C96F-4D5E-8583-E2F1DFEB7437.jpeg
    13DCD78D-C96F-4D5E-8583-E2F1DFEB7437.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 40414053-D964-438C-94FF-1B4961BCC840.jpeg
    40414053-D964-438C-94FF-1B4961BCC840.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 145
  • BA66EE0E-AE92-4AF8-968B-1B49C72B552F.jpeg
    BA66EE0E-AE92-4AF8-968B-1B49C72B552F.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 144
  • B440A7B9-C50B-4A58-A7CA-0BF27AE35D93.jpeg
    B440A7B9-C50B-4A58-A7CA-0BF27AE35D93.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 145
@RemE

Update, replaced with a 9” pipe and elbow so I can put the shelf back on. Still fits under the cover as well.
Nice. I like what you did with moving it so you don't lose functionality of the shelf.
This may be the direction I go with mine as well. Thanks for posting the pics

Latest Discussions

Back