MORE SMOKE NEEDED...SD generator?

@RemE

Update, replaced with a 9” pipe and elbow so I can put the shelf back on. Still fits under the cover as well.
Nice change to make it more compact. I received my "Smokin It" unit and am working on it right now. I also ended up insulating the lower half of the grill, will post pictures up soon.

Nice change to make it more compact. I received my "Smokin It" unit and am working on it right now. I also ended up insulating the lower half of the grill, will post pictures up soon.

Looking forward to the insulation pictures. I'm curious, though, why you felt the need to insulate the Timberline as it's already fully double walled and therefore has some measure of insulation as-is?

It's double walled yes, but, they are just plates, air flows around most of them. Insulation makes it much more fuel efficient and less affected by any weather. Also, insulating the bottom fixes the overheated grease system.

Here's a quick sample of what insulating did for the hot exhaust area on my TL850. This is a thermal photo of the grill rear in action. The bottom corners are where some grills have bubbled paint. After my mods, I could touch those spots!

More to follow after I finish moving my daughter!

Attachments

• 96E8AFCE-8541-4C97-9181-D145D1AA0855.jpeg
    96E8AFCE-8541-4C97-9181-D145D1AA0855.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Here's a snap of my Smoke generator install.

Attachments

• 553E1520-E1E5-448C-88A5-E1903838ADB9.jpeg
    553E1520-E1E5-448C-88A5-E1903838ADB9.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 167
  • 7FD40A7D-E51D-48C1-AA78-621727B12F21.jpeg
    7FD40A7D-E51D-48C1-AA78-621727B12F21.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 167
  • 8F3313DB-61EC-4E04-98DA-9CBD5141DC08.jpeg
    8F3313DB-61EC-4E04-98DA-9CBD5141DC08.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 174
  • 526E2840-194C-41D0-9995-3D8AEC0F9836.jpeg
    526E2840-194C-41D0-9995-3D8AEC0F9836.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 175
Looks awesome, and very clean through the shelf!

what does the metal on the inside help with?
I'm insulating the grill,
1-the exhaust ports to reduce external paint stress.
2-the belly and grease system to prevent grease burning.
3- the sides, back, and lid, to keep the outside shell temp down and reduce weather effects.
4-to save on pellets, more efficient.

Last edited:
I'm insulating the grill,
1-the exhaust ports to reduce external paint stress.
2-the belly and grease system to prevent grease burning.
3- the sides, back, and lid, to keep the outside shell temp down and reduce weather effects.
4-to save only pellets

I'm with you, especially since my IW does not have any insulation on the hood. And I agree, the double-walled construction is pretty minimal from an insulation perspective so I'm curious to see how you attacked this particular problem.

Ok so I’ve got to ask is the food coming off now over smokey or honestly closer to a stick?

Like the idea. Just on the fence when I can burn sticks to get the same taste we are all after..

Ok so I’ve got to ask is the food coming off now over smokey or honestly closer to a stick?

Like the idea. Just on the fence when I can burn sticks to get the same taste we are all after..
I’ve never experienced “too much” smoke, not even from my stick burner.

The generator seems to get it closer to a stick burner, but still a notch below. So if you’re looking for more smoke, but not quite stick burner then this is it!
In my generator I base it with lump charcoal, then chunks, then fill the rest with some chips and even pellets. They say don’t use pellets but I like to fill the canister as dense as possible.

I’ve never experienced “too much” smoke, not even from my stick burner.

The generator seems to get it closer to a stick burner, but still a notch below. So if you’re looking for more smoke, but not quite stick burner then this is it!
In my generator I base it with lump charcoal, then chunks, then fill the rest with some chips and even pellets. They say don’t use pellets but I like to fill the canister as dense as possible.

I think by too much I mean burping bbq all day. I haven’t had that from the traeger (we all know why) or a stick that I personally cooked on but other places/people’s I’ve gotten that.. That’s my concern

I think by too much I mean burping bbq all day. I haven’t had that from the traeger (we all know why) or a stick that I personally cooked on but other places/people’s I’ve gotten that.. That’s my concern
Burping? Can you explain? These generators have adjustable air pumps so you can dial up the smoke flow to whatever you want.

Burping? Can you explain? These generators have adjustable air pumps so you can dial up the smoke flow to whatever you want.

Burp/belch, some say it comes from eating to fast, wet wood, creosote, reflux, etc..

From what I gather the generators are pumping a dense white smoke. When I cook with a stick its not dense much like the traeger. There are those moments but it’s not throughout the cook like I believe the generator to be. Seeing you mention you can adjust the amount of smoke you want from a generator maybe there is a cleaner setting and most just have it on blast to show the most smoke. I guess one would have to play with the settings they enjoy the most.

Thanks for the tips!

I changed horses, after seeing your tip, I ordered a Kuhuna, then I was studying in more detail how this would all work on my 850. I stumbled on another brand cold smoker (Bella's "Smokin-It") and, well, it smoked the Kuhuna. It uses only pellets, lights in 20sec, runs up to 8 hrs!, and is much cooler, like 80F Cost is a tad lower, it's all stainless steel, and it mounts better onto the 850, so the Kuhuna got cancelled.

Here's a great video comparison;

I'll be putting it in on the left side, but down under the shelf. I'll cut a square hole in the shelf for the smoker, with it's lid flush with the shelf top surface.

Here's the link to the unit;

I loved the idea of the Sear Station mod on the left side, but I'm settling for the "just adequate" Traeger 500F to sear so the smoker can go here.

I looked at both alot but I picked smoke daddy as its easier to find different flavor wood pieces vs the pellets. With using pellets might as well just use smoke tube of which helps but not sure about it. I added smoke daddy to my pro34 and loved it. I recently picked up timberline 850 and debating adding big kahuna from smoke daddy. Would love pics from someone with timberline and smoke daddy

Attachments

• IMG_3065.MOV
    12.3 MB
Back