Melt down on 2nd use

Georgiasdaddy

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger timberline 850
Melt down! Set temperature to 280F held temp for 20 min and then went nuclear! Melted the aluminum liner, paint on the back and underneath bubbles up. Shut it down. Ordered a new heat sensor installed it and fired it up again! Once pot ignited the temp raced to over 300 in just over 1 min. Lifted the lid and flame was shooting out from under deflector. The fan was adding way to much oxygen. Any help would be great traeger world.

What grill do you have?
Sounds like a controller issue to me…the controller is supposed to slow or speed up the auger and fan speed based on the info it gets from the RTD/Thermocouple.

Forgot to ask… Did you check to make sure that there is no grease buildup in the bottom?

What grill do you have?
timberline 850 is in his profile

My question is kinda simple, if it was only your 2nd use and it melted everything... why didn't you call Traeger CS???
Or is that who sent the new 'heat sensor'??? And that's all they did???
If it was no grease fault of your own then I be pushing for some new parts or a new grill

Just a little more info please.

Full story I purchased it July 11 2020 took it out to our lot. It melted down.called traeger they face timed me and walked through the damage. They sent me a brand new one 1 week later. It works great. They were supposed to pick up the damaged one. I called each month for 3 months to ask when it was being picked up and each time they said someone will call. I talked to the store I bought it from and they said I could dispose of it. Now going on a year of it sitting in my garage I decided to try and fix it. It’s a timberline 850 in perfect condition, no grease at all in it.

So it has a new what in it??? RTD??

I would think you should get a new controller, if they sent you a new grill over this then it almost has to be as serious as at least a faulty controller and maybe more now that it melted down....

All I did was order a new temp censer I sanded down the bubbled paint and repainted with heat paint. It looks brand new! Everything works just heats up so hot it melts the aluminum tray! im not a tinker with it kind of guy but would love to fix it up if can.

All I did was order a new temp censer I sanded down the bubbled paint and repainted with heat paint. It looks brand new! Everything works just heats up so hot it melts the aluminum tray! im not a tinker with it kind of guy but would love to fix it up if can.
I’d start with the controller…
You could even “borrow” the controller out of your other one to see if that is the problem…

You could even “borrow” the controller out of your other one to see if that is the problem…
did you read that part about....

im not a tinker with it kind of guy
:ROFLMAO:

BOOM, 2nd grill goes up in smoke!!!

All kidding aside, yeah you could borrow the one to test the other... in fact if you have buy a new one I'd put it in the NEW grill.

Maybe ask Georgia if she thinks daddy should mess with the new one or not...
rofl.gif

after all, her little red wagon does only have 3 wheels

juss kiddin

So the piece I’m calling the heat sensor is the RTD. Any idea where I could order a new controller? In Canada not a lot of options. Took 6 months to get the RTD.

RUSTYJAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can you help this guy

did you read that part about....

:ROFLMAO:

BOOM, 2nd grill goes up in smoke!!!

All kidding aside, yeah you could borrow the one to test the other... in fact if you have buy a new one I'd put it in the NEW grill.

Maybe ask Georgia if she thinks daddy should mess with the new one or not... View attachment 5981
after all, her little red wagon does only have 3 wheels

im Capable of swapping out controller no problem just not great at diagnostics on this stuff. I have title experience in fixing this kind of stuff. Ps Georgia’s little red wagon has 35s on it 4 of them lol

Where in Georgia are you? I’m sure I could be talked into tinkering with it

Latest Discussions

Back