Meater Probe vs Fireboard

MJBunch

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
Hey All,

Curious to know if anyone had an opinion or experience with both. I use a Fireboard but like the idea of wireless with the Meater probe's. One feature of the Fireboard I really like is the graphing function. Really helpful. Does the Meater probe offer the same via an app?

Thanks in advance

IMO, the MEATER app and the algorithms used to calculate cook times still need a lot of improvements. Save your money.

I've never used a Fireboard but a lot of people on here seem to like them.

IMO, the MEATER app and the algorithms used to calculate cook times still need a lot of improvements. Save your money.

I've never used a Fireboard but a lot of people on here seem to like them.
Thanks for the feedback. I do like my Fireboard a lot and its very accurate.

Everyone can have preferences, and for me nothing comes close to Fireboard. There are many excellent features that I could name but I will just list one: their competition probes. Nobody else makes them.

Are the competition probes that much different than their standard probes??

Are the competition probes that much different than their standard probes??
Just thinner so they don't leave big holes in the meat. I have had a few of them go bad on me, but haven't had a standard probe do that yet. So I think they are a little more fragile as well

Just thinner so they don't leave big holes in the meat. I have had a few of them go bad on me, but haven't had a standard probe do that yet. So I think they are a little more fragile as well
Yes, they are quite thin and so you have to treat them carefully. In my opinion it is a worthwhile tradeoff.

Has anyone on here tried the new Meater 2 Plus ? I’m hearing from a friend that his uncle claims it’s better than ever. Said he uses it for deep frying turkey, put it in meat that’s sous Vide, claim it’s completely water proof and temperature up to 1000 degrees and it’s easy to calibrate too. I’m planning on ordering one to try but wondering if anyone here uses it. Thanks

Has anyone on here tried the new Meater 2 Plus ? I’m hearing from a friend that his uncle claims it’s better than ever. Said he uses it for deep frying turkey, put it in meat that’s sous Vide, claim it’s completely water proof and temperature up to 1000 degrees and it’s easy to calibrate too. I’m planning on ordering one to try but wondering if anyone here uses it. Thanks
I love my Meater 2 Plus. I use it for everything on the Traeger, Weber, and oven. Last week I smoked a prime rib roast on the Traeger and seared it off on the Weber; right from 225* to 700*. The Meater 2 Plus is spot on too; double-checking temps with a Thermapen One.

I love my Meater 2 Plus. I use it for everything on the Traeger, Weber, and oven. Last week I smoked a prime rib roast on the Traeger and seared it off on the Weber; right from 225* to 700*. The Meater 2 Plus is spot on too; double-checking temps with a Thermapen One.

Do you notice that it gets stuck at "Estimating Cook Time" for a long time in the app? That was one of the main issues I had with the original Meater Plus and Meater Block. When I tried to use it for a longer cook such as a brisket, it would "estimate cook time" for hours and hours, and then it would finally give me the estimate 10-15 minutes before the cook was done. And sometimes it still wasn't really done.

Do you notice that it gets stuck at "Estimating Cook Time" for a long time in the app? That was one of the main issues I had with the original Meater Plus and Meater Block. When I tried to use it for a longer cook such as a brisket, it would "estimate cook time" for hours and hours, and then it would finally give me the estimate 10-15 minutes before the cook was done. And sometimes it still wasn't really done.
Both of mine do the same thing. That’s the only problem I have but I’m leaning toward buy one of the new ones. The higher temp as the water resistance because I use my Sous Vide regularly so that would be a plus. The estimated time isn’t a big factor because I know about how long my cooks usually take as well as I cook to temp regardless. Not saying it wouldn’t be a great option if the new one actually gives the estimated time.

The Meater 2 Plus takes a while to finish estimating the time but a little less than my Meater + and Meater Block. It's not a big deal to me because I usually smoke big proteins and have done enough of them to know approximately how long it will take. For the first year I owned my Traeger, I took notes on every cook that I still use as a reference.

Back