Help! Meat comes out of Traeger with a STRONG taste of smoke.

JerryD

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Pro Series 34-Inch Wood Pellet Grill - Bronze - TFB88PZB
We got our Traeger last fall. We have followed all the directions to the letter. We have not used it much this year because the taste of the food is so strong with the flavor of smoke it is not pleasant to eat. We have used cherry pellets' and turkey pellets'. Should wrap the food in foil to reduce this smoke flavor? Are we using the wrong pellets? What's the answer?????

Hello. Can you illustrate your typical cook? It may help to share a log such as what was cooked, smoking temp, when the food was placed in your Pro 34 (for instance, was it placed before or after the preheat?), the "color" and density of smoke from your smoke stack, etc. And have you experienced smoked food prior to acquiring your unit last Fall?

Are you waiting for the Traeger to come up to temp? It will generate a lot of smoke upon ignition, but once it gets to 250+ degrees, the smoke dissipates as the pellets are burning clean.

Hello. Can you illustrate your typical cook? It may help to share a log such as what was cooked, smoking temp, when the food was placed in your Pro 34 (for instance, was it placed before or after the preheat?), the "color" and density of smoke from your smoke stack, etc. And have you experienced smoked food prior to acquiring your unit last Fall?
I go through the prescribed start up, with the smoke, giving the unit time to bring it up to temperature. If what I'm cooing needs 350 degrees I wait till the unit is that temperature. Then I put the food in the grill and close the lid. During the cooking time, the unit will smoke white smoke about every 10 minutes of so. The unit holds the temperature very good during the cooking time. When the meat, usually chicken is done it is removed. However the flavor is VERY strong. Should I wrap the meat in foil to reduce this flavor?

Yes, I do wait for the the unit to come up to the desired temperature before adding the food. It does smoke however during the cook about every 10 minutes for about one minute, then stops.

Well, since you are the FIRST ONE to ever say the smoke flavor is STRONG, you have me speechless.

However: From Traeger

• Pellet quality is the biggest culprit of thick smoke. If they are holding moisture, they will not burn as hot.
    • Pellets may be compromised if they are light in color, dull, dusty, break easily, or if the bag the pellets came in has a lot of sawdust.
    • Even if you believe your pellets are ok, try a fresh batch to be sure. Sometimes, pellets can take on moisture without us noticing.
  • Ensure the induction fan is working properly.
    • You should be able to feel the air blowing into the firepot. Be sure not to touch the hotrod while testing this.
    • The fan should not make any loud noises, such as scraping or squealing. If it is, please contact Customer Service.
Now, if it's just white smoke you are getting this 'off and on' while cooking, then I say you need to buy a GOOD PELLET and keep it DRY and fresh, purge ALL your other pellets first, then load with fresh.
Bear Mountain, B&B, Pitboss, anything but NOT Traeger pellets.

Try that first ... BTW, Smoke tubes are on sale at Amazon...
rofpound.gif
juss kiddin

Slimpicker: Thank you for your review of my problem. You might have a point of the moisture in the pellets. That could cause the smoke to be heavy. I also may not be using the correct pellets. Yesterday we went to a party and a man brought Pulled Pork that he cooked for 12 hours on a Traeger. He used pellets made from Bourbon Whiskey barrels made of oak, from Louisiana. He had no sign of excessive smoke in the pulled pork. We cook on a charcoal Weber and love the teste of food from it. Thank you for your help, a will try dry pellets. Can you tell me what is the most mild pellet? Traeger sells?

Guys, he's a Texan, can you guy help him out with available good pellets???

I feel like there must be a moisture issue or something. I have tried several types of pellets and can't honestly tell a huge difference between each type. If there was a pellet blend out there that produced a much larger amount of smoke flavor everyone would be buying them.

I feel like there must be a moisture issue or something. I have tried several types of pellets and can't honestly tell a huge difference between each type. If there was a pellet blend out there that produced a much larger amount of smoke flavor everyone would be buying them.
I think your right, moisture is where the problem is.

I think your right, moisture is where the problem is.
Clean out everything, start with fresh new (non-Traeger) pellets, prime like a new grill, and try it.
let us know

a good all around mild smoke flavor pellet is the Bear Mountain gourmet blend but I would say apple is likely to be your mildest option.

how has the humidity been where you are in Texas lately? that's GOT to be a contributing factor

Back