Mac and cheese

Timmy

BBQ FEAST MASTER #traegergameday Wins 2022/2024
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780, Bronson 20 , Char grill gasser, Char griller modified offset, Blackstone 3 burner griddle
Im lookin for some good mac n cheese recipes also, if im fixin all this good bbq, might as well do some good side to. Right?

3 cups of uncooked macaroni
1 stick of butter - I used salted
4 cups of milk
4 o/z of Mozz shredded cheese
12 oz of cheddar shredded - I used Mexi blend
salt and pepper to taste

1.5 to 2 hrs at 275.......stir once in a while.

You can also add sour cream and chives and have twice baked potato/mac 'n cheese

3 cups of macaroni
1 stick of butter - I used salted
4 cups of milk
4 o/z of Mozz shredded cheese
12 oz of cheddar shredded - I used Mexi blend
salt and pepper to taste

1.5 to 2 hrs at 275.......stir once in a while.

Add sour cream and chives and have twice baked potato/mac 'n cheese
Do you boil the macaroni first?

Do you boil the macaroni first?
you start with hard Mac... sorry
Keep an eye on it, blend it well so it doesn't get to dry at the edges. If it drys put in a TINY bit of water during cooking.

Didn't do on the Traeger yet, so I'll be watching here to see what you go with and how it turned out.

I've made a tweaked version of the Traeger recipe "3 cheese smoked mac". Use smoked cheddar, smoked gouda, bacon! Smoke the dry macaroni along with the sauce, then boil, assemble in iron skillet and bake in the Traeger. Friends call it Crack'n'Cheese. I make extra and vac seal some for later!

Attachments

• C5591D02-185B-453B-A3A2-ADAE012E0BE8.jpeg
    C5591D02-185B-453B-A3A2-ADAE012E0BE8.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 71
  • D3F4CBF3-FCB6-410E-9ED5-787BC297094E.jpeg
    D3F4CBF3-FCB6-410E-9ED5-787BC297094E.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 0F67CC5D-AB22-44C1-9810-AFFDCE32F43D.jpeg
    0F67CC5D-AB22-44C1-9810-AFFDCE32F43D.jpeg
    279.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 2DEBE3EC-1CE7-4C2D-AF7B-75C58C5DD5F9.jpeg
    2DEBE3EC-1CE7-4C2D-AF7B-75C58C5DD5F9.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 70
I've made a tweaked version of the Traeger recipe "4 cheese smoked mac". Use smoked cheddar, smoked gouda, bacon! Smoke the dry macaroni along with the sauce, then boil, assemble in iron skillet and bake in the Traeger. Friends call it Crack'n'Cheese. I make extra and vac seal some for later!
I've seen you make this before, it looks really good! Now its in recipes thread.

YUMMY, but long, right? Mine is designed as 'simple'... but would I DIVE HEAD FIRST into yours??? YA DAM RIGHT I WOULD!!!

Hey grill hey has a smoked Mac and cheese recipe that was pretty good on YouTube, we didn’t do the exact recipe but i like using it as the base of my recipe

Wooden bowl of smoked mac and cheese.

4.7 from 20 votes

Smoked Mac and Cheese​

Rich and creamy smoked mac and cheese with a crispy panko breadcrumb topping.

Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 20 mins

Course: Side Dish
Cuisine: American
Keyword: Smoked Mac and Cheese

Servings: 8 people

Calories: 837kcal

Author: Susie Bulloch (heygrillhey.com)

Ingredients​

• 1 pound elbow macaroni noodles cooked according to package instructions
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 4 Tablespoons flour
  • 1 Tablespoon mustard powder
  • 2 cups half and half
  • 4 oz cream cheese
  • 3 cups cheddar
  • 1.5 cups gouda

Bread crumb topping​

Instructions​

• Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook macaroni noodles until they are al dente, meaning they still have a bit of chew and texture (not too soft).
  • Preheat your smoker to 225 degrees F using a mild hardwood. My favorite is cherry or apple.
  • Heat a 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Melt 1/2 cup of butter and whisk in the flour until a smooth, thin paste forms. Then whisk in the mustard powder.
  • Carefully pour in the half and half and bring up to a boil while whisking. Reduce the heat and whisk in the cream cheese until smooth.
  • Whisk in the cheddar cheese and gouda cheese and stir until melted. Turn off the heat and pour in the cooked macaroni noodles. Stir gently until the noodles are coated by the cheese sauce.
  • Combine the melted butter, sweet rub, and panko bread crumbs in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the top of the mac and cheese.
  • Place the skillet in the smoker, close the lid, and smoke for 1 hour. You can smoke for up to 2 hours if you want a stronger smoker flavor, but the noodles will take on quite a bit of smoke fairly quickly.
  • Serve your mac and cheese while it is still warm and the cheese is nice and melty!

Nutrition​

Calories: 837kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 56g | Saturated Fat: 34g | Cholesterol: 171mg | Sodium: 877mg | Potassium: 231mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1665IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 701mg | Iron: 3.1mg

Wooden bowl of smoked mac and cheese.

4.7 from 20 votes

Smoked Mac and Cheese​

Rich and creamy smoked mac and cheese with a crispy panko breadcrumb topping.

Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 20 mins

Course: Side Dish
Cuisine: American
Keyword: Smoked Mac and Cheese

Servings: 8 people

Calories: 837kcal

Author: Susie Bulloch (heygrillhey.com)

Ingredients​

• 1 pound elbow macaroni noodles cooked according to package instructions
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 4 Tablespoons flour
  • 1 Tablespoon mustard powder
  • 2 cups half and half
  • 4 oz cream cheese
  • 3 cups cheddar
  • 1.5 cups gouda

Bread crumb topping​

Instructions​

• Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook macaroni noodles until they are al dente, meaning they still have a bit of chew and texture (not too soft).
  • Preheat your smoker to 225 degrees F using a mild hardwood. My favorite is cherry or apple.
  • Heat a 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Melt 1/2 cup of butter and whisk in the flour until a smooth, thin paste forms. Then whisk in the mustard powder.
  • Carefully pour in the half and half and bring up to a boil while whisking. Reduce the heat and whisk in the cream cheese until smooth.
  • Whisk in the cheddar cheese and gouda cheese and stir until melted. Turn off the heat and pour in the cooked macaroni noodles. Stir gently until the noodles are coated by the cheese sauce.
  • Combine the melted butter, sweet rub, and panko bread crumbs in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the top of the mac and cheese.
  • Place the skillet in the smoker, close the lid, and smoke for 1 hour. You can smoke for up to 2 hours if you want a stronger smoker flavor, but the noodles will take on quite a bit of smoke fairly quickly.
  • Serve your mac and cheese while it is still warm and the cheese is nice and melty!

Nutrition​

Calories: 837kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 56g | Saturated Fat: 34g | Cholesterol: 171mg | Sodium: 877mg | Potassium: 231mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1665IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 701mg | Iron: 3.1mg

Have you made this one?

No but I'm planning on it

Back