Pellets Lumber Jack Pellet Reviews?

I'll jump in. Got a Pro 575 last summer and it was my first go around with a pellet grill to start. With that being said I did some research and found everyone speaking extremely highly of Lumberjack, and decided that was the first pellets I was going to burn. Now with a pair of Pro 575's, and a GMG Davy it is still what I have used since utilizing all three grills. I have bounced around on different blends, but constantly bounce back to the 100% Hickory from Lumberjack for 90% of my cooks. The other 10% is either bacon (100% Maple), and cheese (100% cherry) being the other two varieties. Now a little background in regards to seeing pricing and such. I recently facilitated a group buy and on average I paid $12 per 40lb bag and everything went flawless. If you haven't looked into getting a group buy going I highly recommend not only Lumberjack pellets, but also ordering in bulk.

Last weekend I smoked a 12 lb packer cut brisket for 10 hours with the Lumberjack competition blend (maple, hickory and cherry 40lb bag $18.00). I smoked it uncovered for 6 hours with a smoke tube filled with the same pellets. then wrapped in butcher paper for another 4 hours. It was the best brisket that I have ever cooked. The smoke flavor was good but it could have been a little stronger for my taste. I think using one more smoke tube would have been just right for me. I will eventually try 100% hickory as I understand it has a stronger smoke profile. I will say that it probably made more ash than other pellets I have used but I was expecting that due to the bark being included in the pellets. These pellets are the best that I have tried so far. Other pellets that I have used include various Traeger and the cheap pellets that Sam's Club sells.

My local Sutherlands hardware store got in some Lumberjack pellets at $14.00 for 20 pounds buy on get one free. Bought one of each they had: Hickory blend, Mesquite blend, Char Hickory, and 100% oak. I have the hickory blend burning in my Traeger Junior as I write this and I am quite pleased at the smell wafting into the house. I was a bit taken aback at the extrusion size of the pellets as they are quite a bit smaller than Trager or Pitboss pellets.

Has anyone had issues with other pellets getting stuck or not working properly in the Traeger? That's my only hesitation it trying an off brand pellet. Thanks for the insight!

Don’t you suppose in a one year old thread, that if there were an issue, it would have come up? Pellets don’t cause jams. Idiots letting pellets get wet and swell cause jams. Only in rare cases is there a physical difference in size by very much, but never enough to cause jams.

I for one have put nothing in my Traeger but Lumberjack pellets. And not because I have some obscene loyalty, it’s because I am cheap. They are readily available near me, and cost a fraction of traeger. And this same place sells Traeger pellets side by side.

One last thing, I have been told that "smoking" water in the Traeger and then freezing it to use as ice in cocktails (specifically in a straight bourbon) is something worth the effort.

Done it & love it. Lowest temp setting you can go, and I use ice cubes instead of water. My thinking is the smoke particles would adhere more to the solid cubes.

If you try it, you have to let the ice melt for a few minutes before you notice the smoke flavor. When I first tried it with bourbon, I was underwhelmed early on but after letting it sit (probably 15 minutes) the smoke flavor blew me away.

I’ve been burning nothing but lumberjack since Thanksgiving, & almost exclusively Competition Blend. Love the hint of cherry & maple with the hickory. Use it for everything. I have run one bag of char hickory, I noticed the charcoal flavor but I wasn’t overwhelmed. They make a blend with maple beech & cherry I think but I have not tried those.

Ash - maybe a bit more, but I vacuum often so no issue. The ash does seem to clump in the fire pit, unsure what that’s about, but again no problems.

Early on I was having flame-out issues on long low temp cooks on Traeger pellets. No hopper voids, it just lost fire 4-5 hours in. I have not had that issue with the LJ pellets.

Best part. Rural King stores sell them for less than $9 for a 20lb bag. It’s a 40 minute drive one way, but my favorite burrito place is in that town, so the drive is worth it.

Back