Loss of power

I wonder if the resolution for the long SSID is what is causing some to hang after updating. It would be interesting to see the length of the WiFi SSID of those that had issues.
My SSID is only 5 characters long and so far no issues since the grill updating this week. I went out to cook tonight fully expecting extra time to try some of the fixes posted on the forum.
It kind of makes sense if the fix of forgetting network and removing grill and then setting up again works to fix it.

I wonder if the resolution for the long SSID is what is causing some to hang after updating. It would be interesting to see the length of the WiFi SSID of those that had issues.
My SSID is only 5 characters long and so far no issues since the grill updating this week. I went out to cook tonight fully expecting extra time to try some of the fixes posted on the forum.
It kind of makes sense if the fix of forgetting network and removing grill and then setting up again works to fix it.
I was told it was secondary to the latest update, was told to delete the grill from the app and run it manually until they provide a new update

I just purchased an Ironwood 650 on the weekend. Used the grill once and went to use it the 2nd day and couldn't even get it turn on at all. Customer service determined it was the Power Brick inside not working. So they are sending one of those over. Hopefully no controller issues once it arrives. I did install the latest updates during the short time I had it running.

Thanks to this forum I was able to remedy the same issue. Kept shutting off, I was able to forget my WiFi network and I could use it to cook. Can’t connect view app but I can still use the smoker. I have the ironwood 885, a relief to see I wasn’t the only one having this issue with a new product but still frustrating. Hope this helps someone else.

My Ironwood 650 is dropping power. The grill turns on and ignites for approx. 1 min. Then power cycles off with a blank screen and an illuminated power button.

I have tried different outlets, checked home circuit breakers and GFC’s and nothing tripped. Between the WiFi issues and now this, I regretting my purchase. Has anyone had this problem and are willing to share the fix?
Check the cord where it plugs in under the pellet hopper. Mine came loose and wouldn’t turn in

Has anyone actually received the new controller yet? Customer Service indicated 4-5 but was not sure if that was when it would ship or when I would receive it.

Hello,
I have an Ironwood 885 that I bought ago and have the same problem.
Tried everything and nothing happened.
So I disconnected quickly the WiFi ( power dropped so fast had to do it many times)
Since it is off the WiFi it works

for sure it is a problem with the firmware and the WiFi
I am now grilling some nice large shrimp

hope this is useful for you guys
Thanks, Amontish. This did the trick for me as well.

Getting more frustrated. I have called tech support 4 times, each time chose the call me back option. I have not received a call back. Tried to call on the weekend. Tried a weekday afternoon and a weekday evening. No call back. I have steered two friends away from buying a traeger because of the control problems and tech support.

Try forgetting the grill completely.

What SW version is your grill on now?

Getting more frustrated. I have called tech support 4 times, each time chose the call me back option. I have not received a call back. Tried to call on the weekend. Tried a weekday afternoon and a weekday evening. No call back. I have steered two friends away from buying a traeger because of the control problems and tech support.
Their support site says Mon-Fri. It appears that their phone system says the same thing whether they are working or not. I’ve run into the same issue with call backs. I’ve been most successful calling first thing in the morning during the week getting a call back several hours later.

My Ironwood 650 is dropping power. The grill turns on and ignites for approx. 1 min. Then power cycles off with a blank screen and an illuminated power button.

I have tried different outlets, checked home circuit breakers and GFC’s and nothing tripped. Between the WiFi issues and now this, I regretting my purchase. Has anyone had this problem and are willing to share the fix?
At least your starts my ironwood 650 brand new just a week old used once won’t even power on
Control board won’t power up
Made one smoked chicken and was the most expensive chicken I have ever had
Called traeger went over all the possibilities to no avail
I checked it prior to calling them but no resolve
Have to escalate the case because it may be a control board
I need to call again tomorrow to speak with another rep
They may be able to send parts so I can repair a brand new item
How nice is that
I am thinking this was a bad choice
Let’s see how this turns out
Otherwise it’s going back I am not happy paying 1100 for a one week old unit that won’t work

Has anyone received the new controller yet? Customer Service indicated 4-5 but was not sure if that was when it would ship or when I would receive it.
I spoke to Trager support after a two-hour wait on the phone on May 20th (Wednesday). The lady in customer service said they would send me a controller shipped two-day ground to have in time for Memorial Day weekend. Tomorrow is June 1st and still no controller. My Traeger grill is only two months old. Terrible customer service, I like my Taeger Grill but would have a hard recommending one to a friend due to horrible customer service and lack of communication. Where is the controller, Trager?

I spoke to Trager support after a two-hour wait on the phone on May 20th (Wednesday). The lady in customer service said they would send me a controller shipped two-day ground to have in time for Memorial Day weekend. Tomorrow is June 1st and still no controller. My Traeger grill is only two months old. Terrible customer service, I like my Taeger Grill but would have a hard recommending one to a friend due to horrible customer service and lack of communication. Where is the controller, Trager?

Guessing that is a rhetorical question since this is not a Traeger Grills company-supported forum ... you are going to have to call them again, or use their social media accounts to get an update ...

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it's safe to connect back to the wifi network? I'm afraid to connect to my wifi if the software update hasn't been patched. I'm wondering if anyone has had success connecting, do I need a new controller for this issue or is this something that will get fixed on their end? I've tried calling support at the beginning and left a call back, now I'm getting a disconnected number issue. Thanks

Does anyone know if it's safe to connect back to the wifi network? I'm afraid to connect to my wifi if the software update hasn't been patched. I'm wondering if anyone has had success connecting, do I need a new controller for this issue or is this something that will get fixed on their end? I've tried calling support at the beginning and left a call back, now I'm getting a disconnected number issue. Thanks

If you had to disconnect from your Home Wi-Fi Network to be able to grill via Dial & Display, then I would say you should probably stay disconnected for now, as no "new" updates have been publicly documented via the WiFIRE Status Page - https://www.traegergrills.com/status

Back