Loss of power

Yep and if the answer is to replace the controller, then what about the next upgrade & the next? My grill won't even go to 350 degrees so I can't use it. I have the ear of the CEO & he turned me over to the VP of Customer Support who doesn't know when these issues will be fixed. What do we do?
They got too big for their own good.

This is where it would be nice to be able to control if and when your grill was updated. Pushing an update out and not monitoring the results is bound to be a disaster at some point for any business.
I guess the only thing to prevent it from receiving an upgrade is to disable the WiFi connection.

I have an ironwood 650 that worked fine after the software update Tuesday night, I made pizza. Just went to fire it up for some ribs for dinner tonight and it won’t stay on. It acts completely normal for about five seconds but before I can adjust the temp the screen goes blank and then it goes back into sleep mode. I’m assuming this is the same issue everyone else is having and why traeger’s hold time is over three hours?

Attachments

• IMG_5730.MOV
    10 MB
Yikes, I have had my IW650 off wifi for 3 weeks now, as I fight with Traeger on other issues, looks like I will keep it that way, and once I get my replacement, I will leave it offline until they fix this mess. What a disaster. I'd suggest anyone with an Ironwood disconnect their wifi...sucks we can't use the WiFire App then...

I have an ironwood 650 that worked fine after the software update Tuesday night, I made pizza. Just went to fire it up for some ribs for dinner tonight and it won’t stay on. It acts completely normal for about five seconds but before I can adjust the temp the screen goes blank and then it goes back into sleep mode. I’m assuming this is the same issue everyone else is having and why traeger’s hold time is over three hours?
Guess I need to try mine tonight. Haven't used it since Monday and I see by the app that it updated.
Firmware 2.01.02
Config 6.009

I had the same exact issue. I own the same model (Ironwood 650) that I purchased in April. On Monday (May 18) the grill updated the firmware and I was able to grill with no issues. Wednesday (May 20) I went to grill ribs and the same exact issue you are experiencing. I called Traeger and after a two-hour hold talked to the rep. They are sending a new control panel. Unfortunately the firmware update bricked the grill where it will not work.

Hello,
I have an Ironwood 885 that I bought ago and have the same problem.
Tried everything and nothing happened.
So I disconnected quickly the WiFi ( power dropped so fast had to do it many times)
Since it is off the WiFi it works

for sure it is a problem with the firmware and the WiFi
I am now grilling some nice large shrimp

hope this is useful for you guys

I have the same problem with the last update. Thanks to Amontish I m at least able to use it. I had to forget network and the grill works albeit with no WiFi. I tried to reconnect to my WiFi and it immediately turned off and my problem returned. I forgot my WiFi network again and the grill works fine

Same issue here with Ironwood 650. Turn it on today after 1 week and I prepared pizza and at the end of cycle it switched off. I guess it updated the system and now I cannot make it work as it’s switching off after few seconds from turning on. Ive tried several times to factory reset but it always shuts off before I can reset it. I’m in UK and call to usa cost £3ph ! 2h wait that’s £360 ! - 30% of the value of grill

Hello,
I have an Ironwood 885 that I bought ago and have the same problem.
Tried everything and nothing happened.
So I disconnected quickly the WiFi ( power dropped so fast had to do it many times)
Since it is off the WiFi it works

for sure it is a problem with the firmware and the WiFi
I am now grilling some nice large shrimp

hope this is useful for you guys
Thank you for suggestion. I took it off wi-fi per your post and it’s working. A guess a temporary fix until I receive new control board. Unfortunately, I can’t use the Traeger iPhone app to monitor temps for the time being.

Seriously, what are they doing? They managed to brick their own hardware with a factory firmware update just before Memorial Day weekend? And here I was thinking that Traeger was victim of a genius Memorial Day hack, just to find out that it was their own faulty firmware. I have never been a fan of their software, but having to send out new hardware to fix a software bug is laughable, especially with the competition waiting around the corner. Something like this would have been caught be a functioning QA department easily.

I'm able to use my ironwood650 if I forget my wifi connection. So I think it's not a hardware problem. I'm going to work so I'll be away for 5 days. I reconnected to my wifi and it shut off or at least the app says its sleeping so Im hoping when I get back I will have a new update. It also checks for updates when you reconnect. Traegar has to know by now a major screw up has happened. I put my number down to be called over 5 hrs ago and they never called me back. Not happy at all.

I have a Pro780. I was running a little behind schedule today. Went to get my smoker warmed up at noon, and what? Why is shutting off after just a few seconds? Cleaned it. Checked the electrical connection. Tried another outlet. What the #%^*. I had grilled the last three weekends after a long struggle just to get the thing connected to my WiFi (who knew letting it sit in sleep mode for hours was The key unwritten step in the process). Now it’s the electronics taking the unit down again.

I found this thread, and after a few tries, was able to forget the WiFi in the few seconds before it would shut itself off. It is functioning normally now without WiFi. Connectivity was always It’s terrible issue, now it’s turning these $1000 grills into yard ornaments.

thanks for the WiFi turn off tip.

I have a Pro780. I was running a little behind schedule today. Went to get my smoker warmed up at noon, and what? Why is shutting off after just a few seconds? Cleaned it. Checked the electrical connection. Tried another outlet. What the #%^*. I had grilled the last three weekends after a long struggle just to get the thing connected to my WiFi (who knew letting it sit in sleep mode for hours was The key unwritten step in the process). Now it’s the electronics taking the unit down again.

I found this thread, and after a few tries, was able to forget the WiFi in the few seconds before it would shut itself off. It is functioning normally now without WiFi. Connectivity was always It’s terrible issue, now it’s turning these $1000 grills into yard ornaments.

thanks for the WiFi turn off tip.

Try forgetting the grill completely.

Back