Looking to invest in Fireboard 2 Product

Short

When I bought my FireBoard I purchased 4 short comp probe and 2 ambient probes. I have T1300. Ambient on left and right difference can be as much as 50 , but usually 20 - 30, other 4 probes for the protein….
I have the same temp difference in my Century 885 grill. Left side is always higher by 50+/-. Middle and right are on target. But the T app shows the grill temp as my set temp.

I currently own 2 InkBird’s (4 prongs, for total of 8). For $50ea it works for me and haven’t had any issues yet. I use 2-3 probes for inside grill temp and the rest for meat temp as needed. I wash after grilling and use my 4 fingers as my holder for now Using the wrap around affect. Fits right back inside the nice case nice and organized. I do have my eyes open for a Fireboard Or Meater. But leaning towards the FB. Does FireBoard ever have a sale on their products? I’m assuming no. I figure like a Black Friday sale thing or something. But I’m in no rush for it now.

I currently own 2 InkBird’s (4 prongs, for total of 8). For $50ea it works for me and haven’t had any issues yet. I use 2-3 probes for inside grill temp and the rest for meat temp as needed. I wash after grilling and use my 4 fingers as my holder for now Using the wrap around affect. Fits right back inside the nice case nice and organized. I do have my eyes open for a Fireboard Or Meater. But leaning towards the FB. Does FireBoard ever have a sale on their products? I’m assuming no. I figure like a Black Friday sale thing or something. But I’m in no rush for it now.
I believe Scheels has sales on them periodically. They are in there fliers but I don’t know how often.

Fireboard probe question for the veteran users. Just purchased the FB2 with 2 short comp probes, the 2 “regular” meat probes, plus 2 ambient. Question is how deep to insert the various probes into the meat? Is there a minimum insertion amount recommended for the short and long probes? I checked on the FB site but didn’t find anything.

Fireboard probe question for the veteran users. Just purchased the FB2 with 2 short comp probes, the 2 “regular” meat probes, plus 2 ambient. Question is how deep to insert the various probes into the meat? Is there a minimum insertion amount recommended for the short and long probes? I checked on the FB site but didn’t find anything.

insert till they are in the middle of your meat, shorts used for thin meats, longs used for thick...

The short comp probes work very well for ribs and brisket flats. The also work well for steaks. The regular probes can be used for brisket points, pork butts and other large cuts.

I
insert till they are in the middle of your meat, shorts used for thin meats, longs used for thick...
Thanks for the reply, Slim! First off, LGB! (I’m grew up in Florissant/Hazelwood Central grad in ‘87)…

Here’s a link to the test run:
turkey test 9.5#
https://share.fireboard.io/31B8F3

I initially used short comp probes in the “drummy” of the wings. Once those were thoroughly cooked, I pulled them off the grill and relocated the probes into the breast and thigh.

I ran one long probe inside the length of a breast, roughly 3/4” depth, so that ~1” of the probe ahead of the 90 deg. bend was exposed. I put the short probes basically straight in (perpendicular to the bird) like a vaccine injection. Did the same test on the thighs: one long probe “buried” in the meat, one short probe poked in.

Temperatures between the probes on the same meat were within 1 degree of each other so the thermistor must be located at basically the tip of the probe. Now I’m curious to know if exposing more length of the long probe affects temperature readings.

BTW, I installed the ambient probe on the right side of the grill within 6 inches of the Treager ambient probe. Readings on the FB were typically 25 deg F lower than the Treager. I purchased 2 ambient FB probes so I will run another test with the ambient probes on opposite sides; many posters here have said the chimney side is much hotter (50 deg?) so it’s possible that the Treager temp is an “average” of the right and left sides of the grill.

Hey there! It sounds like you're really getting into the details of using the Fireboard 2 product for your cooking. I'm not much of a grill master myself, but it's interesting to hear about the different ways you're using the short and long probes to get accurate temperature readings. By the way, have you been keeping up with the dax index? It's been quite the rollercoaster ride lately, but it's always fascinating to see how global economic trends affect the stock market.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back