Looking to invest in Fireboard 2 Product

Mudkap

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
I am having challenges with my 780 Probe temp and Ambient Temp consistency so I am looking to move forward with a Fireboard 2 Purchase. I am looking for suggestions on what Fireboard probes or any other Fireboard accessories the group finds helpful in their cooks that I should purchase. I typically cook the following - Chicken thighs and breast, Strip steaks and Brisket, Pork loins and ribs. A few other odds and ends.
Thanks in advance
Mike

When I bought my FireBoard I purchased 2 short comp probe and 2 ambient probes. I have a 2nd grill so I can monitor both with 1 FireBoard and 2 proteins in each grill if need be. Sometimes I even drop an ambient outside for air temp, this is great if it’s really cold outside.

is it worth grabbing two ambient probes for the 780 to determine difference in Temp on each side of grill. I have found the side with the grease pit and exhaust much hotter...

When I bought my FireBoard I purchased 4 short comp probe and 2 ambient probes. I have T1300. Ambient on left and right difference can be as much as 50 , but usually 20 - 30, other 4 probes for the protein….

I'm sure you have seen the threads but in case you haven't the Ink Bird units are on sale right now on Amazon, around 50% off so only $50.00. If you don't need the charts a graphs, and just need a goo set of probes they will do the trick. If you want more bells and whistles then the FB is for you.

I purchased an extra ambient probe. On the middle shelf of my Timberline 1300 I have a probe next to the Traeger probe and another on the left side. I sometimes have a Nerd Steel on the left side so the ambient temperature probe will site right above that and give me a guess on what that temperature is. When I do not have the steel in my temps are pretty close across the 2 Fireboard probes and my Traeger probe.

I also have a cold storage probe which helped me figure out that my refrigerator was broken.

So all in I have the 2 probes that came with the unit.
2 short comp probes
2 long comp probes
1 thermistor ambient probe (came with the kit)
1 RTD ambient probe

If you are really into smoking and do so frequently, FireBoard is really a game changer. It is expensive, but really worth the investment.

You will get an ambient probe and two thick food probes with the basic set. As others have said, consider buying competition probes as they are very this and don't leave gaping holes in the meat. Competition probes come in long and short versions and both are useful. As others have suggested, getting two of each is a good choice.

Consider purchasing an extra ambient probe as that allows you to detect any temperature gradients in your pit. Also, be sure to get the magnetic holder as that is essential.

Once you have purchased all the probes you are quickly going to find that you need some probe storage holders. If you have a 3D printer people on this forum have published designs for FireBoard probe holders. If you want to purchase holders I suggest that you purchase those from Thermoworks rather than from FireBoard.

I'm sure you have seen the threads but in case you haven't the Ink Bird units are on sale right now on Amazon, around 50% off so only $50.00. If you don't need the charts a graphs, and just need a goo set of probes they will do the trick. If you want more bells and whistles then the FB is for you.
I know you specifically asked about the Fireboard, but I have two (2) of the InkBird so I have a total of eight (8) probes and it works fine. They also graph the cooks in the cloud, but you can only see them through the app, not directly on a website like the FB.

Also...to answer your question about the flat and the point - on a brisket, the the point is the piece next the larger, thicker fat deposit on one end of the brisket. Many of us take that off (either before or after the initial cook) and make true burnt ends. They are very yummy!

Good luck with whichever way you go and here's the link to the InkBird just in case you wanted to check it out...

What is the flat and the point?

I know you specifically asked about the Fireboard, but I have two (2) of the InkBird so I have a total of eight (8) probes and it works fine. They also graph the cooks in the cloud, but you can only see them through the app, not directly on a website like the FB.

Also...to answer your question about the flat and the point - on a brisket, the the point is the piece next the larger, thicker fat deposit on one end of the brisket. Many of us take that off (either before or after the initial cook) and make true burnt ends. They are very yummy!

Good luck with whichever way you go and here's the link to the InkBird just in case you wanted to check it out...
Which App are you using? I have the Ink Bird Pro app and have not seen a way to go back and see your cooks on the App.
Thanks

I purchased an extra ambient probe. On the middle shelf of my Timberline 1300 I have a probe next to the Traeger probe and another on the left side. I sometimes have a Nerd Steel on the left side so the ambient temperature probe will site right above that and give me a guess on what that temperature is. When I do not have the steel in my temps are pretty close across the 2 Fireboard probes and my Traeger probe.

I also have a cold storage probe which helped me figure out that my refrigerator was broken.

So all in I have the 2 probes that came with the unit.
2 short comp probes
2 long comp probes
1 thermistor ambient probe (came with the kit)
1 RTD ambient probe
For chicken breast would you use the comp long or short probes?

Back