Looking to buy an Ironwood 650

I have been researching a new smoker purchase for the past several months and have settled on the Ironwood 650. I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with though...

1. Does Traeger typically run any specials this time of year (Father's Day)? Something like free grill over, pellets, or shelf?

2. I've been following several of the threads discussing the WiFire and connection problems. I understand that there are several possible causes and I am confident I can work through any router related issues. But some of the threads are talking about controllers that need to be replaced.... If I buy a new 650 from my local gold dealer, is there any guarantee that I'll get one of the newer controllers? Or is it possible I'll end up with and older model that will need to be replaced? Any lot numbers that should be avoided?

the second question is definitely the one that has kept me form pulling the trigger on the new purchase. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I was buying the same model a year ago. I did not see any discounts. The D2 controller has been fine for me. My only issue has been a probe that went bad after little use that was replaced by Traeger. Wifi set up was a little tricky, but has been fine and software updates seem to make it more reliable

Thanks for all of the replies.

I ended up finding a Fathers Day deal at a local Ace, free cover and a bag of pellets. We have used it twice so far with no issues (other than Ignition time is a little slow, but that's a different conversation) :)

I was able to install the app and run from my phone without any problems. It is currently running on some pretty old firmware (02.00.01) and Config Version (06.008). It has been left in sleep mode for several days with no updates coming through, but since it is working well at this point I am just going to leave it as is for now.

Thanks again for all of the input!

Thanks for all of the replies.

I ended up finding a Fathers Day deal at a local Ace, free cover and a bag of pellets. We have used it twice so far with no issues (other than Ignition time is a little slow, but that's a different conversation) :)

I was able to install the app and run from my phone without any problems. It is currently running on some pretty old firmware (02.00.01) and Config Version (06.008). It has been left in sleep mode for several days with no updates coming through, but since it is working well at this point I am just going to leave it as is for now.

Thanks again for all of the input!
Finally got my app running on my T850 when I cleared the cache from the old app. There is no way that I can think of that firmware can be downloaded without WiFi connection.

yeah it is a shame to invest into a smoker such as Traeger only to find out they are not what they purport themselves to be.
Got a call from Traeger today..to be fair they helped get me back online. Simple as clearing the cache after deleting the traeger app and then reinstalling it. Works finally...after 40 hours on the phone with customer service.

Got a call from Traeger today..to be fair they helped get me back online. Simple as clearing the cache after deleting the traeger app and then reinstalling it. Works finally...after 40 hours on the phone with customer service.

Android device?

Finally got my app running on my T850 when I cleared the cache from the old app. There is no way that I can think of that firmware can be downloaded without WiFi connection.

I initially had to move my router closer to get the WiFire installed and working properly with the smoker. I then moved the router back to its original place and the signal on the smoker now shows as 'Poor' (-73). Likely not a strong enough signal to initiate the firmware update, but since everything is working just fine I am leaving it as is.

When it looks like the firmware issues have been resolved on the server end then I plan to move the router closer and let the updates push through.

I have been researching a new smoker purchase for the past several months and have settled on the Ironwood 650. I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with though...

1. Does Traeger typically run any specials this time of year (Father's Day)? Something like free grill over, pellets, or shelf?

2. I've been following several of the threads discussing the WiFire and connection problems. I understand that there are several possible causes and I am confident I can work through any router related issues. But some of the threads are talking about controllers that need to be replaced.... If I buy a new 650 from my local gold dealer, is there any guarantee that I'll get one of the newer controllers? Or is it possible I'll end up with and older model that will need to be replaced? Any lot numbers that should be avoided?

the second question is definitely the one that has kept me form pulling the trigger on the new purchase. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I recently purchased an ironwood 650 from ACE Hardware and got a free cover, bag of pellets and free assembly and delivery. I think that’s about the best deal you are going to find.

I totally agree no WiFi connectivity no updates for your Traeger... now I have noticed the pairing to my cell phone being a bit odd to get up and running... it seems I have had to turn off the Traeger then back on for the pairing to complete...

I purchased an Ironwood 650 in January from Ace Hardware, fully assembled. The price was not discounted but I received 25% off any accessories.

Traeger direct has a Father’s day $100.00 off promo running right now but I think it only on the PRO series..

My grill worked great until early April when the control unit became inoperable. After many time consuming calls to customer support they agreed on the problem, pledged to send a new control unit...but it was on backorder. With no update I began my follow-up which was difficult. I finally had to track down Traeger Corporate headquarters and was able to reached a Director level person via voicemail who helped. Finally got the control unit on 10 June...only because I strongly suggested to my Director contact that he should find one and ship it express. He said he placed me at the top of the wait list because of my escalation. Install was easy and I am cooking on my Traeger again,~ 60 days later which I feel is very poor service.

I have had difficulty with WiFi connectivity on the old and new control units. Several failed attempts to connect but ultimately get it done.

summary - great grill, very poor customer support.
I have noticed that when trying to get something done it may take a 2nd level or tier manager to make it happen... just seems to be the way Traeger operates... not very good CS at times and then at others it seems they move mountains for me...

I have had an Ironwood 650 since 2019 Fathers Day. WiFi signal is weak but I have not had an issue. The Phone App is on its 2nd iteration since I have had the grill, and the user interface is better but they removed the ability to program and store "custom cooks", which is a real set back in my opinion. When I bought I got a cover, a drop away front shelf and a bag of pellets as part of the deal, part from Traeger and part from the store. All in all it is a good grill and a good size.
I had an IW650 seemed to be a solid smoker but I had rust on the inside of the barrel and they replaced it after a 2nd supervisor got involved...

I recently purchased my Ironwood 885 and ended up calling tech support and the guy I spoke to quickly helped me resolve my issue.

btw, I have over 100 devices on my home network so I was surprised that I could not figure it out without their help. I know I have a slightly different model; I hope that helps.

This is my third Traeger; I would prefer that you go big ironwood 885 instead of 650.

I could not find a deal but when I bought Home Depot had a special that ran until 6/17 for one year financing with no interest on my Home Depot card.

I ended up getting the 650 at Ace. Came with a free grill cover, a bag of pellets, and free assembly.

When installing the app, I had to move the router closer to the smoker due to a poor signal. At that point the installation went through without any issues.

I moved the router back to its original place and now have a 'poor' signal. Oddly, I can still run everything through the app with the poor connection, but I have not had any updates push through to the grill. I'm still on 02.00.01 and 06.008. Not sure if the lack of updates is due to the poor signal or that they have just put things on hold for the time being. Maybe they require a stronger signal to push the update for fear of dropping the signal part way through?

Either way, I'm happy with it as is because everything is working. I won't be moving the router closer again for the foreseeable future. Did some 3-2-1 ribs last night and they were fantastic!

I ended up getting the 650 at Ace. Came with a free grill cover, a bag of pellets, and free assembly.

When installing the app, I had to move the router closer to the smoker due to a poor signal. At that point the installation went through without any issues.

I moved the router back to its original place and now have a 'poor' signal. Oddly, I can still run everything through the app with the poor connection, but I have not had any updates push through to the grill. I'm still on 02.00.01 and 06.008. Not sure if the lack of updates is due to the poor signal or that they have just put things on hold for the time being. Maybe they require a stronger signal to push the update for fear of dropping the signal part way through?

Either way, I'm happy with it as is because everything is working. I won't be moving the router closer again for the foreseeable future. Did some 3-2-1 ribs last night and they were fantastic!

You can Monitor / Control the WiFIRE Controller when the signal is shown as "poor" ... updates are still on "hold" ... unknown if they will install given a "poor" signal - once the July Update release is available, we both will find out as once I moved my Router back to the Wiring Closet, it registers as Poor->Fair depending on a multitude of factors (is the double-paned Sliding Glass back door open/closed, temperature, etc.) ...

Back