Looking to buy an Ironwood 650

cougtoad

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I have been researching a new smoker purchase for the past several months and have settled on the Ironwood 650. I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with though...

1. Does Traeger typically run any specials this time of year (Father's Day)? Something like free grill over, pellets, or shelf?

2. I've been following several of the threads discussing the WiFire and connection problems. I understand that there are several possible causes and I am confident I can work through any router related issues. But some of the threads are talking about controllers that need to be replaced.... If I buy a new 650 from my local gold dealer, is there any guarantee that I'll get one of the newer controllers? Or is it possible I'll end up with and older model that will need to be replaced? Any lot numbers that should be avoided?

the second question is definitely the one that has kept me form pulling the trigger on the new purchase. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I do not have experience with the 650 but can tell you that I am experiencing issues with my newly purchased grill and have had an absolutely miserable time even getting a response from Traeger support.
The amount of effort this personally requires to return has made me uneasy.

1. Not that I've observed while stalking them since August 2019 (and I purchased one in September). I even shot them a cordial email at the time, stating that I was considering them and a competing brand and asked if they would offer a discount. They replied but did not bite.

2. I can only say that I have not experienced any update issues with my Ironwood 850. But I have experienced an issue or two with my Rec-Tec Bull and Masterbuilt Gravity. Either by my own intervention or from their help those issues are resolved. Rec-Tec was very swift to reply, even if they did not offer remedy. Masterbuilt took ~ 2 weeks for their initial reply but perhaps it was COVID-related.

I have been researching a new smoker purchase for the past several months and have settled on the Ironwood 650. I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with though...

1. Does Traeger typically run any specials this time of year (Father's Day)? Something like free grill over, pellets, or shelf?

2. I've been following several of the threads discussing the WiFire and connection problems. I understand that there are several possible causes and I am confident I can work through any router related issues. But some of the threads are talking about controllers that need to be replaced.... If I buy a new 650 from my local gold dealer, is there any guarantee that I'll get one of the newer controllers? Or is it possible I'll end up with and older model that will need to be replaced? Any lot numbers that should be avoided?

the second question is definitely the one that has kept me form pulling the trigger on the new purchase. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Father's Day Sale started last night on Traeger's website ... no guarantees on what Firmware / Config Version will be pre-installed from the Factory ... the subset of controllers that require replacement is a relatively small number ... I would confer with your local dealer to see if they are a servicing dealer, and have parts available, should you need their assistance ...

I just bought a 650 last week fully assembled from Ace Hardware. The WiFi download was quick and flawless. I’ve done 3 cooks and the grill has performed exactly as advertised.

Thanks for the responses... going to talk to the dealer today and hopefully will be set to go by the weekend.

Hello I had an IW650 and can tell you via my own experience that although they do come to temp well and seem to hold temp well the WiFire connectivity comes and goes that is I could attempt dial up the temp on my cell phone and it would not show up on my cell phone but if I went to the IW650 the display would in fact show what I had just dialed it up to - weird stuff like this likewise with the timer same issue - i had to log out of the mobile Traeger app and log back into it and then it would work as it should - also my IW650 developed some serious rust on the interior of the barrel and we have a covered deck and always kept my IW650 custom cover on it. I have since had a replacement from Traeger and sent that smoker went to a local BBQ Store here in my area who is also a Platinum Dealer for Traeger and was allowed to pay the difference to move into the TL850 - now I am having issues with this brand new Timberline 850 ugh not a happy man at all right now not sure if this helps you out at all I looked at an Ironwood recently in a local ACE hardware they are now coming with pellet sensors installed - so yes there are issues with connectivity between the mobile app and the IW650 I can speak to this issue - btw i never got that issue resolved and the rust inside the barrel took precedence

I do not have experience with the 650 but can tell you that I am experiencing issues with my newly purchased grill and have had an absolutely miserable time even getting a response from Traeger support.
The amount of effort this personally requires to return has made me uneasy.
I have had similar issues with the Traeger Support and if it is time related they fall back on C19 if you have issues like we did with our IW650 it may take a 2nd supervisor to make the right call and get an issue resolved to my satisfaction in replacing my IW650 grill - look Traeger is a selling millions of smokers and accessories and they are making $ hand over fist so when the drag their feet it is not a good business practice for them and customer retention or acquisition what with the internet social media word spreads around rapidly about this issue or poor service & good service as well - they want you to believe in my situation that it was just normal for extensive rust to form inside of the barrel 'no it's not normal' I have had many appliances on my deck that cost far far less than this Traeger high end appliance that never had any issues with rust or corrosion especially after getting the IW650 as a Christmas present, what 5 months, totally ridiculous what they try to sell you... oh its normal for the inside to rust out no this is patently false and if it is true Traeger needs to get out of the business as they are only interested in a one time sell and leave you in the dust - poor judgment will take down an organization even one that touts itself as delivering Cadillac smokers/grillers in the Timberline Series watch out for this particular line the degres system is horrendous the drip pan liners are a total waste they do not fit at all and the grease that does fall never makes it the the pull out grease compartment underneath on the left hand said lower part of the barrel.

I bought my Ironwood 885 locally (Gold Dealer) and have been happy so far. To directly answer your question, if you hunt you may be able to find a deal. I got my grill at 10% off with a free cover, I think largely because I went to a smaller dealer (not Ace) and was able to talk to the owner and made it a simple transaction for them. It was just "Hi, have an 885?" "Yes" "Ok, please load it in my car." And they were selling grills as fast as they could get them in stock.

RE: WiFire - it took some fiddling but eventually worked fine. I think one of the issues with the IW series of grills is likely the complete lack of antenna and limited signal range that results. So be prepared to struggle with signal strength and reliability more than anything else. I also found it more reliable to not use the QR code and manually enter the information making sure that I was in a spot with good signal before starting the setup.

I have had an Ironwood 650 since 2019 Fathers Day. WiFi signal is weak but I have not had an issue. The Phone App is on its 2nd iteration since I have had the grill, and the user interface is better but they removed the ability to program and store "custom cooks", which is a real set back in my opinion. When I bought I got a cover, a drop away front shelf and a bag of pellets as part of the deal, part from Traeger and part from the store. All in all it is a good grill and a good size.

If you want a deal go to Costco and look at the Silverton. Comes with shelves, cover, pellets and lower cabinet for less than the bare grill. I think they have the 620 and 810 sizes, $799 and $1,350 on line and less in the store. The 810 has super smoke but I don't miss it with my 570, I just smoke at 180*.

Last edited:
Related to the WiFire, i purchased a $20 signal extender and it works like a champ.

I got a IW650 in May and fell victim to the software update that killed my controller mid cook, after owning the new grill for only 4 days. I was lucky to get through to customer service and they sent me a new updated controller. It's now up and running smoothly, and we use it nearly every day.

I personally would recommend you have them assemble it and power it on in the store before purchase. you can use this status page to see if it has the latest software in the D2 controller; https://www.traegergrills.com/status

I have a Timberline 850 G2 and the first month it worked fine With WiFire and for the last month and a half it won’t even pair with the grill. Spent tens of hours online, they shipped me a new controller and it still won’t pair. My suggestion is to look at a Green Mountain grill..they just work and their tech help is better.

I have a Timberline 850 G2 and the first month it worked fine With WiFire and for the last month and a half it won’t even pair with the grill. Spent tens of hours online, they shipped me a new controller and it still won’t pair. My suggestion is to look at a Green Mountain grill..they just work and their tech help is better.
yeah it is a shame to invest into a smoker such as Traeger only to find out they are not what they purport themselves to be.

I purchased an Ironwood 650 in January from Ace Hardware, fully assembled. The price was not discounted but I received 25% off any accessories.

Traeger direct has a Father’s day $100.00 off promo running right now but I think it only on the PRO series..

My grill worked great until early April when the control unit became inoperable. After many time consuming calls to customer support they agreed on the problem, pledged to send a new control unit...but it was on backorder. With no update I began my followup which was difficult. I finally had to track down Traeger Corporate headquarters and was able to reached a Director level person via voicemail who helped. Finally got the control unit on 10 June...only because I strongly suggested to my Director contact that he should find one and ship it express. He said he placed me at the top of the wait list because of my escalation. Install was easy and I am cooking on my Traeger again,~ 60 days later which I feel is very poor service.

I have had difficulty with WiFi connectivity on the old and new control units. Several failed attempts to connect but ultimately get it done.

summary - great grill, very poor customer support.

Latest Discussions

Back