Looking for tips of a pellet smoker pitboss vs Traeger vs camp chef (or any others)

Traeger Support has been a huge disappointment. I've owned my Timberline 1300 for 6 months, got flawless performance for 2 months. First it was WiFire firmware upgrade problems, -2 different upgrades. Then the D2 controller needed to be replaced. (They sent me 2!) Their instruction video on the Traeger website had incomplete instructions on how to install. They failed to tell you need to take the right side panel off of the grill to get to all the connections. When taking the panel off, one of the screws was over-torqued and stripped, so they told me to go the hardware store, find a matching screw, buy a drill bit to drill out what was left of the screw. The grease draining system has not drained a drop of grease for 4 months, -a huge grease fire hazard issue. I'm still waiting for the promised drip tray after 4 months.

I got through to Traeger on Friday. They apologized profusely and the support rep promised that the drip tray would be shipped, and that I should expect it in a week to 10 days.

Per Traeger, the drip tray comes with a food based oil coating that sometimes gets removed during assembly. This coating needs to be “seasoned-in” to prevent warping of the drip tray. My Timberline was assembled by the dealer I purchased it from. So perhaps it wasn’t there. We’ll see.

Also, Covid 19 government limitations have limited warehouse and procurement operations.

I genuinely hope that myTraeger issues are on the way to being solved. As I’ve said in this forum several times, “I’m in love with the concept of my Timberline 1300. But I’m not in love with my actual ownership experience.“ I will not pay a premium price for any product and be okay with a bad experience. But if things get turned around, I’ll be the first to sing Traeger’s praises, and post a great experience here. As I‘ve said, my first 2 months (out of 6) were flawless.

Camp Chef SmokePro DLX Pellet Grill use lump charcoal
I think this model is trusted by many people.

Attachments

• 91SNF2LCRGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    91SNF2LCRGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I was going to buy the Traeger that was on QVC and seen it was made in China.Well looked at the pit Boss 1100 at Lowes(also made in China}It was the same price $500 but without the free Pellets and Cover.
Looked liked the Pit Boss was a more heavy steel (weighing 50lbs more}I am sure back in the day Traeger was KING.But seems everyone are making Smokers..I am very happy with my Pit Boss with their 5 year Warrenty,only thing I need to do is too learn to smoke lol...…...JT

I am not familiar with Camp Chef other than to say I saw some up close and was not excited about the build quality. They might work great and their new controller looks very good but hard for me to get past that. Another thing is that I don't want to have to use an insulated blanket or jacket or whatever they are called to cook in the winter so that limits my options.

Grilla Grills , Traeger, Smokin Brothers Premier or premier Plus and the newer version Louisiana Grills that are not yet released seem to be the only ones that are insulated at least that I am aware of. One cooker that is the same price as the Ironwood 885 that looks to be built very well but has no wifi is Smokin Brothers Premier Plus 30 pelllet grill. One review I saw said that he had cooked on the non insulated Smokin Brothers in the winter and had no issues just took a little longer to get up to temp. I could probably do without wifi especially for a unit that is built that well. They supposedly provide excellent customer service and made in the USA too.

The GMG, Rec Tech, or Yoder look interesting to me. I'm a current Traeger Ironwood 885 owner, it cooks well, but a design flaw has me wishing I looked deeper at other brands.

I would start with a budget, and see what models you can get in that range, pick the best you can afford.
What’s the design flaw? I just bought one yesterday.

Starting my preliminary research into what I want. I have been arguing with my dad who says the Pitboss is better because it’s a much better value than the other two. I’m primarily interested in this Traeger but he wants the larger pit boss I think with 700 square inches (is that how they are measured? Idk) anyways. What should I be looking for and what are your takes on these? Do the more expensive ones have better warranty/ components?https://solitaire.onl/ 9apps.ooo/ https://bluestacks.vip/
I think the Traeger grill is better, the grilled flavor is better, and the operation is relatively simple, and the accessories are more complete. Of course, this is just my personal opinion, you need to compare the opinions of others to make your own decision.

I returned my first generation SmokeFire and purchased an Ironwood 885. Similar in design but the 885 is more reliable.

My biggest thing with traeger is just the convenience. I literally feel like I’m cheating when I cook my food. The wifire capabilities and recipes on the app are stupid easy to use/follow. I started smoking meat about 2 years ago on a big green egg and was so frustrated with trying to control the temp. In just a few months with my traeger I am killing ribs, pork butt, and brisket. I would say if you are new to the smoker game traeger is the way to go. I live close to work and have the freedom of coming and going so when my traeger app alerts me that my internal temp of whatever I’m smoking is where I want it and I can run home and wrap it or even set it to warm from the app if I can’t get home makes things super easy. In reference to your question about traeger models I feel like the biggest difference I see in the timberline compared to the ironwoods and other models is the double insulated walls in the grill. For me that was huge because I live in Illinois and one day it can be -50 and the next day it can be 83. This grill holds temp like a beast in the winter no problem. Luckily for me my grill is inside on a screened in porch so it’s sort of protected from wind and weather but I truly believe I’d see more temp fluctuations if it wasn’t for the timberline design. Hope that helps.
I also live in Illinois and bought the Ironwood 885 for the same reasons, the temps change drastically around here and I wanted the double wall insulation.

Member's Mark 28" Pellet Smoker Grill​

from Sams club
For value, this is it, cheap as hell, basic, reliable smoker, solid built, super smoke feature, large grill area, foldable shelf

Am I the only one that's sick of seeing the "*** is better than ***" posts? Traeger vs Pitboss or Camp Chef vs Traeger or list of the best pellet grill ...
Seriously though. Why do you need it to wifi or Bluetooth? Get up, go outside and use your eyes.
If you don't like the way the lid seals, go on Amazon and for 8 bucks buy a roll of Lava lock. Problem solved.
You are paying for a brand name. All pellet grills functiin on the same sort of technology. Auger turns. Firepot fills. Heat and smoke (more heat than smoke typically depending if you can adjust settings or not, but if you can't, a 10 dollar smoke tube will alleviate that issue) occurs. A fluctuation of 25° up or down is really not going to affect your cook so much that it matters. Might cut off or add a half hour....
Buy what you can afford. Make it work.

Am I the only one that's sick of seeing the "*** is better than ***" posts? Traeger vs Pitboss or Camp Chef vs Traeger or list of the best pellet grill ...
Seriously though. Why do you need it to wifi or Bluetooth? Get up, go outside and use your eyes.
If you don't like the way the lid seals, go on Amazon and for 8 bucks buy a roll of Lava lock. Problem solved.
You are paying for a brand name. All pellet grills functiin on the same sort of technology. Auger turns. Firepot fills. Heat and smoke (more heat than smoke typically depending if you can adjust settings or not, but if you can't, a 10 dollar smoke tube will alleviate that issue) occurs. A fluctuation of 25° up or down is really not going to affect your cook so much that it matters. Might cut off or add a half hour....
Buy what you can afford. Make it work.
It's a bit odd there seems to be posters on the traeger forum who like to say how much better everything is compared to Traeger. Weird really.

For me it doesn't really matter what you have.......I'm sure there are lots of quality option out there in 2021. But I'm not going to go on the Pit Boss forum just to say how superior my Traeger is or tell someone they need to check out the RecTeqs.

Whatevs.......fwiw I do think the wifi technology is helpful......especially for long cooks.

Back