Looking for tips of a pellet smoker pitboss vs Traeger vs camp chef (or any others)

josephdetor

Reaction score
Grill
ronwood 650
Starting my preliminary research into what I want. I have been arguing with my dad who says the Pitboss is better because it’s a much better value than the other two. I’m primarily interested in this Traeger but he wants the larger pit boss I think with 700 square inches (is that how they are measured? Idk) anyways. What should I be looking for and what are your takes on these? Do the more expensive ones have better warranty/ components?https://solitaire.onl/ 9apps.ooo/ https://bluestacks.vip/

Last edited:

SPD656

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
Starting my preliminary research into what I want. I have been arguing with my dad who says the pitboss is better because it’s a much better value than the other two. I’m primarily interested in this Traeger but he wants the larger pit boss I think with 700 square inches (is that how they are measured? Idk) anyways. What should I be looking for and what are your takes on these? Do the more expensive ones have better warranty/ components?
My biggest thing with traeger is just the convenience. I literally feel like I’m cheating when I cook my food. The wifire capabilities and recipes on the app are stupid easy to use/follow. I started smoking meat about 2 years ago on a big green egg and was so frustrated with trying to control the temp. In just a few months with my traeger I am killing ribs, pork butt, and brisket. I would say if you are new to the smoker game traeger is the way to go. I live close to work and have the freedom of coming and going so when my traeger app alerts me that my internal temp of whatever I’m smoking is where I want it and I can run home and wrap it or even set it to warm from the app if I can’t get home makes things super easy. In reference to your question about traeger models I feel like the biggest difference I see in the timberline compared to the ironwoods and other models is the double insulated walls in the grill. For me that was huge because I live in Illinois and one day it can be -50 and the next day it can be 83. This grill holds temp like a beast in the winter no problem. Luckily for me my grill is inside on a screened in porch so it’s sort of protected from wind and weather but I truly believe I’d see more temp fluctuations if it wasn’t for the timberline design. Hope that helps.

Dave1972

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
RecTec is good as well. At times I wish I’d spent the extra dime and got that instead of my traeger pro.

smithclarkson01

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 99083
I have a GMG at home, and a Cookshack Fast Eddie at the restaurant. Both are built like tanks, and both have had really good customer service.
9Apps Vidmate

Last edited:

Seed

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
Dont get a Camp Chef. Tin cans of junk...

GMG, RecTec, Traeger are all good, some of slight pros over the others IMO, like GMG has the best mobile app, rectec and GMG cooked well, Traeger is good but their app is far behind the other two. I like the way the Traeger feels and looks better than those other two. Controller on Traeger is pretty solid just needs a little more refinement and features in the app side.