Liquid bowl

Has anyone used a liquid (beer/water bowl during their brisket smoke?
I always use a water pan when I do long smokes. I have used leftover injection/apple juice with water added and just water.
I am a firm believer in using added moisture when smoking.

He has some of the reasoning behind it. If you haven't seen his videos before, he is worth the time to check out

I use one for long cooks, brisket and pork butt and poulty. I use injection juice, water, apple beer, mainly.

I've tried with and without, can't say I see much difference honestly.

I feel that It makes a bigger difference. if you have a stick burner. I have tried it both ways and did not find a big difference.

From what I have read is unless you are using a large, 500 gallons or larger, sick burner water trays are a waste of time and space in the grill.

Unless you get the water to the boiling point for steam the advantage is minimal, yeah sure water evaporates if not boiling but with the FAN blowing and renewing the air in the unit it basically will have no affect on the meat.

Traeger's are way too known for skinning over or 'barking' any meat almost right away, and holding in moisture is something I have NEVER had a problem with on a Traeger unless you stab it too many times with probes... so water is up to you, not a rule on a Traeger.

My Theory is that if the Traeger skins your meat over and smokes it during the first 1/3 of your smoke, Moisture could ruin a good bark, and HOW does it penetrate the meat anymore anyway???

I ALWAYS used water on my Drum smoker, side box, etc... because there was always a HOT SPOT that would boil the water and no FAN running... but so far not on my Traeger.

I always use a water pan when I do long smokes. I have used leftover injection/apple juice with water added and just water.
I am a firm believer in using added moisture when smoking.

He has some of the reasoning behind it. If you haven't seen his videos before, he is worth the time to check out
Thank you for the input

Unless you get the water to the boiling point for steam the advantage is minimal, yeah sure water evaporates if not boiling but with the FAN blowing and renewing the air in the unit it basically will have no affect on the meat.

Traeger's are way too known for skinning over or 'barking' any meat almost right away, and holding in moisture is something I have NEVER had a problem with on a Traeger unless you stab it too many times with probes... so water is up to you, not a rule on a Traeger.

My Theory is that if the Traeger skins your meat over and smokes it during the first 1/3 of your smoke, Moisture could ruin a good bark, and HOW does it penetrate the meat anymore anyway???

I ALWAYS used water on my Drum smoker, side box, etc... because there was always a HOT SPOT that would boil the water and no FAN running... but so far not on my Traeger.
Great insight, thank you. I have smoked one brisket and it was good (just got the smoker for Christmas) and I was curious what the opinions are. This makes sense.

I agree that you will see different results in different smoker styles. The stick burners smoke at higher temps (225-250) so they tend to have more hot and dry air. We need to be under 225 to generate smoke.
One thing that the water does is to moderate temperature within the pit. Kind of like living by the ocean. It will help maintain a more constant temperature.
The hot air will only take so much moisture before it saturates and then we get condensation. I have never had condensation inside of the Traeger while using a water pan. So air flow is great inside the smoker. I know the water is being used and picked up because it empties during the cooks. The water may be exiting out the vent/chimney which is fine. But some has to be imparted in the protein inside. I know we aren't dealing with temperatures hot enough to create steam, but we are seeing more and more steam ovens on the market. They assist in the cooking process.
I will continue to use one, I use a drip pan anyways, so adding water to it doesn't mean any extra work. I say if you have a drip pan in use, might as well use it

I agree that you will see different results in different smoker styles. The stick burners smoke at higher temps (225-250) so they tend to have more hot and dry air. We need to be under 225 to generate smoke.
One thing that the water does is to moderate temperature within the pit. Kind of like living by the ocean. It will help maintain a more constant temperature.
The hot air will only take so much moisture before it saturates and then we get condensation. I have never had condensation inside of the Traeger while using a water pan. So air flow is great inside the smoker. I know the water is being used and picked up because it empties during the cooks. The water may be exiting out the vent/chimney which is fine. But some has to be imparted in the protein inside. I know we aren't dealing with temperatures hot enough to create steam, but we are seeing more and more steam ovens on the market. They assist in the cooking process.
I will continue to use one, I use a drip pan anyways, so adding water to it doesn't mean any extra work. I say if you have a drip pan in use, might as well use it
I cannot disagree that the water evaps and has a function, I'm just saying I have stopped using one since I got my 575 and I've NEVER pulled a dry piece of meat off yet. I'm completely amazed how the Traeger, while blowing on food, can put out the juiciest meat I've ever smoked... I've taken skinless chicken to 185° by accident and when I poked it with my MK4 it was like popping a ZIT!!! juice flew out of it!!!

Hence the fact that there is even a debate on using or not... which means to me it's kinda to each his own and it's still not a proven fact on a Traeger.

Hence the fact that there is even a debate on using or not... which means to me it's kinda to each his own and it's still not a proven fact on a Traeger.
With that I agree
Fat up or fat down....same situation
Whatever you feel works.

With that I agree
Fat up or fat down....same situation
Whatever you feel works.
smiley2.gif

I persona;;y use a small loaf pan in the back of my Pro. I also have a stick burner that I have had for the last ten years. I usually fill it up with water or what I am spraying on the meat that day

I persona;;y use a small loaf pan in the back of my Pro. I also have a stick burner that I have had for the last ten years. I usually fill it up with water or what I am spraying on the meat that day

Loaf pan in the back is a good idea... the TEMPS that rise in the back and even in the front are extremely high compared to what the middle reads... so if I ever need it that loaf pan idea is what I'd do.
goodjob.gif

Latest Discussions

Back