Let's Discuss The Pellet Hopper

gdlee50

Reaction score
Grill
I have read some other comments and posts on the pellet hopper getting into a "empty condition" (funneling.)

I have the 885 Series and love it. But, I have had this condition of funneling now a few times. Today I am smoking a beef brisket, up and on at 5:30am. At 7:30 am I checked the pellet hopper and sure enough, it was almost in an empty condition due to the pellets not feeding down into the auger. I have seen where some guys have installed a fan with a cutoff blade to use as a vibrator to eliminate this issue. Others seem not to have this issue. So here is what I believe is happening and would like some input on my idea/opinion.

I live in Michigan where the air get damp and moist unlike lower states where it is warmer. I believe the pellets are getting damp causing them not to flow down into the auger, making the pellets to stick together. Could this be the root cause? I have found a electric vibrator on Amazon that Iam thinking to buy and install.

Thoughts?

EverettSmoke

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
I am also in a moist area (Washington State). I would also like to know about this. It Appears that it's a Brisket kind of morning. I started as 12am though.

RemE

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
I played around with this issue, and posted my journey to a solution in the mod section.
Final solution for me is a gentle pellet stir motor with programmable timer.

Timmy

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780, Bronson 20 , Char grill gasser, Char griller modified offset, Blackstone 3 burner griddle
Here is the thread title:Okay, time to stir the pot, another Covid Project!

RemE

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
Thanks RemE. Where would one get such a motor?

This is the one I'm currently using;

And, here's my thread on the subject;

Latest Discussions