Kosmos - Smoking Brisket on the Traeger

Great video! So many ways to do a brisket! I've always gone with the logic of fat facing the heat source, so fat side down.

I'm going to have to try fat side up, seems to allow it to bark-up better, I know that Matt Pittman mentioned that they show better this way.

New take-aways, Saran wrap and using a lower pan to reduce the grease volume to the grill's drip bucket/drawer.

Thanks for the heads up!

This video came out about a month ago, but offers some good tips on smoking brisket on the Traeger. Has anyone tried is rub? (Cow Cover) I was thinking about placing an order today for it.

Traeger has actually recommended cooking fat side down when doing a brisket on their site. Also I have gone through a large amount of cow cover hot on my traeger cooks and I think it’s something that pairs nicely with other rubs. I really enjoy it on steaks paired with an SPG rub

I'm a FAT UP man myself... no different than putting bacon strips on something to keep it moist, and YES IMO it does make for better bark, and I always envision the bark acts as a "bowl" once it's good and crusted and the 'fat-up' acts as the basting source.

Fat Down is more for HOTTER direct heat sources to keep the meat from burning... Traegers (again IMO) are perfect cookers for 'fat up'

I'm giving this method a shot today. I put this brisket on this morning around 7:00 and it's just about ready to wrap! I forgot to order the cow cover, so I'm trying S&P with a little BS rub :ROFLMAO:

225 until it hits 160 and then I'll crank it up to 275.

dan-traeger-brisket-bs-season.jpeg

Dropping a 15lb Costco prime packer on the grill tonight. Last night I trimmed, rubbed with Holy Cow & Gospel, then wrapped. Going to to try the "Turbo Bella" smoke generator this time as well.

Attachments

• 30B8D364-21F7-4EBD-8C11-B02F6339B10F.jpeg
    30B8D364-21F7-4EBD-8C11-B02F6339B10F.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 59
Has some nice color to it. This was at 160.

brisket-wrap.jpeg

275 degrees to finish. Let it sit out for 30 minutes and then wrapped in plastic wrap for another hour.

brisket-done.jpeg

Got some mac & cheese going in the smoker right now. Trying something new there as well. Pics to come.

Lookin good!!

Latest Discussions

Back