Kosmos - Smoking Brisket on the Traeger

RemE

Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
Great video! So many ways to do a brisket! I've always gone with the logic of fat facing the heat source, so fat side down.

I'm going to have to try fat side up, seems to allow it to bark-up better, I know that Matt Pittman mentioned that they show better this way.

New take-aways, Saran wrap and using a lower pan to reduce the grease volume to the grill's drip bucket/drawer.

Thanks for the heads up!

PriceMP5

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
This video came out about a month ago, but offers some good tips on smoking brisket on the Traeger. Has anyone tried is rub? (Cow Cover) I was thinking about placing an order today for it.

Traeger has actually recommended cooking fat side down when doing a brisket on their site. Also I have gone through a large amount of cow cover hot on my traeger cooks and I think it’s something that pairs nicely with other rubs. I really enjoy it on steaks paired with an SPG rub

Slimpicker

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze
I'm a FAT UP man myself... no different than putting bacon strips on something to keep it moist, and YES IMO it does make for better bark, and I always envision the bark acts as a "bowl" once it's good and crusted and the 'fat-up' acts as the basting source.

Fat Down is more for HOTTER direct heat sources to keep the meat from burning... Traegers (again IMO) are perfect cookers for 'fat up'

Latest Discussions