Keep my other grills???

Cvantassell

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood
I am getting ready too purchase an Ironwood series. I have a Weber gas grill and kettle grill that are in very good condition. Should I sell one or both? Is the Traeger all I need? Any reason to keep one or the other? Looking for honest advice.

For me it's more that cooking outdoors is somewhat a hobby. I appreciate having options and enjoy using pellets, charcoal, and LP depending on my mood and what I'm cooking. To that end, it's not a question of whether or not one device could serve all functions.

But I will say this; In the 6 months that I've had a pellet smoker I have not yet used it for high-heat cooks. Plenty of other folks do, though.

Tbh, I would keep one. If I were in your situation, I'd keep the kettle. Especially if you're used to high temp searing. Unfortunately, its one of the downfalls of a Traeger. GrillGrates help but it's still not the same.

I have three grills sitting on my deck, a large BGE, a Traeger Timberline 850, and a Weber Summit 450. All of them have their strong points, the things they do better than others. Also I live in the middle of wild fire country and face fire restrictions most every year. During the restrictions I can not cook on the Traeger or the Egg because they both produce ash. I will always have a gasser because it is the only grill that does not produce ash and is legal during the restrictions. IMG_1354.jpegIMG_1361.jpeg

Last edited:
I am getting ready too purchase an Ironwood series. I have a Weber gas grill and kettle grill that are in very good condition. Should I sell one or both? Is the Traeger all I need? Any reason to keep one or the other? Looking for honest advice.
I have three grills sitting on my deck, a large BGE, a Traeger Timberline 850, and a Weber Summit 450. All of them have their strong points, the things they do better than others. Also I live in the middle of wild fire country and face fire restrictions most every year. During the restrictions I can not cook on the Traeger or the Egg because they both produce ash. I will always have a gasser because it is the only grill that does not produce ash and is legal during the restrictions.View attachment 1645View attachment 1646
Great view! Thanks for the feedback

Tbh, I would keep one. If I were in your situation, I'd keep the kettle. Especially if you're used to high temp searing. Unfortunately, its one of the downfalls of a Traeger. GrillGrates help but it's still not the same.
Makes sense. Thanks

For me it's more that cooking outdoors is somewhat a hobby. I appreciate having options and enjoy using pellets, charcoal, and LP depending on my mood and what I'm cooking. To that end, it's not a question of whether or not one device could serve all functions.

But I will say this; In the 6 months that I've had a pellet smoker I have not yet used it for high-heat cooks. Plenty of other folks do, though.
Feel the same way. I’d cook outdoors everyday given the opportunity

I purchased an Ironwood 650 in the past two months (April). I own an 8-year-old Weber Spirit E-310 that was long in the tooth. I cleaned it and added new Flavorizer bars and still works fine. Although I have not used my Weber since purchasing the Ironwood 650, I decided to keep the Weber. If your electricity is out the Traeger will not operate since it runs on electricity. Also, if you want to cook something quick, Weber starts right up and can cook in no time.

I had an issue around Memorial Day when Traeger sent an update to the Ironwood 650 and it bricked the controller/circuit board. It took two weeks to receive the controller so I was without the Traeger for that time. Bad timing to rollout firmware update a few days before Memorial Day weekend. Dealing with customer service is subpar. I have enjoyed the Traeger grill, it cooks wonderfully.

I have a Weber Genesis gas grill, a Vision Grills kamado in addition to my Traeger Pro 780. I use them all. The ceramic kamado being so well insulated is tough to beat in colder weather. The Pro 780 does not perform all that well in sub-zero temps in my experience.

It's a tool. Just like you have a screw driver and a hammer, I have a gas grill and a Traeger. different tools for different jobs.

I have a Weber Genesis gas grill, a Vision Grills kamado in addition to my Traeger Pro 780. I use them all. The ceramic kamado being so well insulated is tough to beat in colder weather. The Pro 780 does not perform all that well in sub-zero temps in my experience.
@Grill Billy have you tried a heat controller on your Vision Grill? I got a CyberQ a few years ago for it. It does a fairly good job at maintaining temperature on the grill. It is difficult to get and maintain anything below 200°F on it though. I do like the smoked flavor off of it to what I can get on the Traeger

Definitely keep the gas grill. It’s great for reverse searing a steak. There are other things you will still want to cook on the gas grill

I am also similar to the other comments. I have a Traeger Pro and Ranger for travel/camping, and a Green Egg (23 years old). I like all three for different reasons. Green Egg is good for deep smoke flavor and slow cooks like Pork Shoulders, Ranger is good for Travel but also that quick grilling for two people and the Pro is good for anything. I just retired my Weber gas grill because I was using it less and less, I believe the Traeger to be easier with better flavor and quality of cook versus the gas.

Welcome to the forum @Cvantassell ? I also have a Weber Genesis gas grill and still use it every once in a while if I'm in a hurry.

I'm still waiting for Traeger to come out with the perfect all-in-one smoker, grill, griddle combo :)

@Grill Billy have you tried a heat controller on your Vision Grill? I got a CyberQ a few years ago for it. It does a fairly good job at maintaining temperature on the grill. It is difficult to get and maintain anything below 200°F on it though. I do like the smoked flavor off of it to what I can get on the Traeger
I have not, but I have been thinking about it. I did buy the Kick Ash basket for it which is a nice addition. Does that have the plate that attaches to the electric starter door? ( I don't use that, I actually sealed it shut with heat-proof caulking as it was a source of air leakage) Post a picture, if you don't mind, I am interested.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back