It's not as "rocket science" as you might think [EDITORIAL]

Slimpicker

⚒️ MODERATOR
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575 Bronze► OKJoe's Longhorn Combo► WeberQ Gasser ►Weber kettle► UDS ► Inkbird Sous Vide
Modern BBQing has taken on some sort of "perfectionist faze" that is never meant to be in real BBQing. and BBQ Smoking.
BBQ & BBQ Smoking is supposed to be FUN, a way to EXPRESS YOURSELF thru food, be your own chef, cook YOUR WAY to meet YOUR TASTES.

We get caught up in all these "contests" and BBQ shows thinking there is a 'right' and 'wrong' way to smoke that meat... according to WHO????
Who is the SMOKED MEAT GOD????? Yeah sure, go ahead and name your favorite guy on YouTube, or your fav show, but just note this, all that crap wasn't around the first time I fired up my Bandera side box smoker. I put out some damn good food with temp swings from 200-350 when I wasn't paying attention and I never ruined a piece of meat!!!

YES, it's fun to watch guys do 'successful' good cooks, everything turns out PERFECT, and you LEARN A LOT from watching. That's how I taught myself almost everything in life, I WATCH and imitate.
There are GREAT THINGS to learn from some of these guys on Social Media, tips and tricks, fine points and even FACTS about the science of the MEAT itself. I don't have HALF the talent/knowledge these guys do, but i still make great smoked meat.

BUT don't get SUCKED into thinking your cooks have to be that PERFECT!!! I have followed many recipes that I thought tasted like :poop: ... we all have different TASTES.
Some like more sugar and some more salt, some do EVOO and some do Mustard, some wrap, some don't.

So there are advantages obviously for noob BBQ Smokers to learn from all these different things, but don't fall into the trap that these are all BIBLE TRUTHS. MEAT IS MEAT, it's been the same meat since God told the Israelites to throw cows on the fire for burnt offerings, sometimes certain parts of the cow and lamb were saved for EATING!!!! AHHH the first BBQers!!!!!

Anyway, just a word of advice I guess. My biggest observation over all these years is this: MEAT IS VERY FORGIVING of anything you might call a mistake. Your cook doesn't HAVE to go perfectly like the recipe, or your TEMP doesn't HAVE to stay right on the dot, or your rub doesn't HAVE to have that (whatever) in it to make it perfect.

Obviously use online recipes and videos and info as a GREAT GUIDELINE, but by all means, try to be yourself and HAVE FUN!!! (why do you think we have all these different guys and recipes, because each one is trying to be "himself" and not just follow the leader)

For the most part I think everyone here does this quite well.

Meat is very forgiving!! I'm not a great BBQ Smoker, THE MEAT IS!!!!

BRAVO! @Slimpicker! (Whistle whistle) BRAVO!!

Very well said, if I don’t know how to cook something, I’ll ask or find someone who does. Then I tweak it a little to my tastes and likes, heck I’ll even try a lower of higher temp for timing purposes, sometimes it’s a hit and sometimes it’s a fail. I’m talking about everything I cook on the grill or smoker. Meat to potato’s. 99% of the time if it’s a fail it is still very edible, may be tough or mushy or dry but it’s edible and GOOD.

Bottom line… have fun!!!

Last edited:
99% of the time if it’s a fail it is still very edible, may be tough or mushy or dry but it’s edible and GOOD.

EXACTLY
worthy.gif

Modern BBQing has taken on some sort of "perfectionist faze" that is never meant to be in real BBQing. and BBQ Smoking.
BBQ & BBQ Smoking is supposed to be FUN, a way to EXPRESS YOURSELF thru food, be your own chef, cook YOUR WAY to meet YOUR TASTES.

We get caught up in all these "contests" and BBQ shows thinking there is a 'right' and 'wrong' way to smoke that meat... according to WHO????
Who is the SMOKED MEAT GOD????? Yeah sure, go ahead and name your favorite guy on YouTube, or your fav show, but just note this, all that crap wasn't around the first time I fired up my Bandera side box smoker. I put out some damn good food with temp swings from 200-350 when I wasn't paying attention and I never ruined a piece of meat!!!

YES, it's fun to watch guys do 'successful' good cooks, everything turns out PERFECT, and you LEARN A LOT from watching. That's how I taught myself almost everything in life, I WATCH and imitate.
There are GREAT THINGS to learn from some of these guys on Social Media, tips and tricks, fine points and even FACTS about the science of the MEAT itself. I don't have HALF the talent/knowledge these guys do, but i still make great smoked meat.

BUT don't get SUCKED into thinking your cooks have to be that PERFECT!!! I have followed many recipes that I thought tasted like :poop: ... we all have different TASTES.
Some like more sugar and some more salt, some do EVOO and some do Mustard, some wrap, some don't.

So there are advantages obviously for noob BBQ Smokers to learn from all these different things, but don't fall into the trap that these are all BIBLE TRUTHS. MEAT IS MEAT, it's been the same meat since God told the Israelites to throw cows on the fire for burnt offerings, sometimes certain parts of the cow and lamb were saved for EATING!!!! AHHH the first BBQers!!!!!

Anyway, just a word of advice I guess. My biggest observation over all these years is this: MEAT IS VERY FORGIVING of anything you might call a mistake. Your cook doesn't HAVE to go perfectly like the recipe, or your TEMP doesn't HAVE to stay right on the dot, or your rub doesn't HAVE to have that (whatever) in it to make it perfect.

Obviously use online recipes and videos and info as a GREAT GUIDELINE, but by all means, try to be yourself and HAVE FUN!!! (why do you think we have all these different guys and recipes, because each one is trying to be "himself" and not just follow the leader)

For the most part I think everyone here does this quite well.

Meat is very forgiving!! I'm not a great BBQ Smoker, THE MEAT IS!!!!
Agree. This also is true in brewing beer.

BRAVO! @Slimpicker! (Whistle whistle) BRAVO!!

Very well said, if I don’t know how to cook something, I’ll ask or find someone who does. Then I tweak it a little to my tastes and likes, heck I’ll even try a lower of higher temp for timing purposes, sometimes it’s a hit and sometimes it’s a fail. I’m talking about everything I cook on the grill or smoker. Meat to potato’s. 99% of the time if it’s a fail it is still very edible, may be tough or mushy or dry but it’s edible and GOOD.

Bottom line… have fun!!!
I had to cook dinner in an hour so I fired up a gasser and did a quick steak cook, SHMBO said it was Ok but she likes it better on the Traeger…..Go figure….

Outdoor cooking is an art. I'm still in the watercolor phase, but enjoying the journey.

Outdoor cooking is an art. I'm still in the watercolor phase, but enjoying the journey.
I’m still finger painting!! 🤣

Lately some here need a reminder this place is for fun backyard BBQing discussion and sharing.
Perfectionists in BBQing food? there really is no such thing, you only "think" your way is the perfect one.
If you cook to your taste, the way you get there is your "pitmaster prerogative"... THE END

this thread screams "EXPERIMENT"!

if you are backyard, viva la difference. Running a restaurant is another story.

I just made a chimichurri sauce and an Alabama white sauce from recipes from the internet. SORT OF. Basic ingredients were there, but I tasted and adjusted amounts or put in new stuff in the process.

I hold back some radical stuff if I am smoking for a large group. But my first venison smoke is an example of winging a basic idea.
rear 1/4 venison smoke

could not agree more! thanks for the permission to be free guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watching a video or writing down a recipe was my start and I expect a lot of others as well. The good part of this is your personal adaption of these recipes to suit your style. Another enjoyment was being part of this group, I have learnt so much from here.

Watching a video or writing down a recipe was my start and I expect a lot of others as well. The good part of this is your personal adaption of these recipes to suit your style. Another enjoyment was being part of this group, I have learnt so much from here.
Spot on about adapting. good insight.

I take lots of notes when I cook. And every cook is a competition for me. Cuz I'm competing against myself. I want to get better and better.

But I've had some cases along the way where I had a meal that just did not turn out nearly as well as I had planned. But it happens.

Back