Help! Ironwood885 initial seasoning temp issues

RT2275

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
Hi , i just did my first startup seasoning following the instructions. On the first temp to set at 350 the temp stayed at 340 the whole time. After turning up to 500 it went there for 2 minutes then dropped to 430 and moved 450 never reaching 500. Also note no smoke was coming out. The temp reached 500 almost at the end of 30 minutes before doing the cool down.
I don’t think this is normal especially when its new and no food inside.

Have you connected to wifi and updated your firmware?

Let it update the firmware. It should be fine after that.
Please let us know when/if your firmware updates. I’ve been waiting for my update since yesterday. I did the start up seasoning yesterday and it seemed to work good. I had it on Celsius instead of Fahrenheit but it reached the temps it was supposed to and held them there unless I opened the lid. It only smoked for about 5min on the lower temp and nothing after that. Here is a pic of the heaviest smoke . I think it was mostly the packing oil burning off

Please let us know when/if your firmware updates. I’ve been waiting for my update since yesterday. I did the start up seasoning yesterday and it seemed to work good. I had it on Celsius instead of Fahrenheit but it reached the temps it was supposed to and held them there unless I opened the lid. It only smoked for about 5min on the lower temp and nothing after that. Here is a pic of the heaviest smoke . I think it was mostly the packing oil burning off View attachment 524
It usually updates in a few minutes. Make sure you have a strong wifi signal. If not, move the grill closer to your router or your router closer to the grill.

It usually updates in a few minutes. Make sure you have a strong wifi signal. If not, move the grill closer to your router or your router closer to the grill.
Then something is for sure wrong with mine. I brought it inside and placed it about 10’ from my router. The screen says I have a wifi at -40/-42. It’s been sitting there all night. I’ve noticed that the red rocker switch on the back isn’t lighting up when turned on. I’m not sure if they are supposed to but it looks like it should. I don’t think that would have anything to do with it though, would it?

Then something is for sure wrong with mine. I brought it inside and placed it about 10’ from my router. The screen says I have a wifi at -40/-42. It’s been sitting there all night. I’ve noticed that the red rocker switch on the back isn’t lighting up when turned on. I’m not sure if they are supposed to but it looks like it should. I don’t think that would have anything to do with it though, would it?
What does it say when you go into Settings>About Grill ?

It says I have the 01.00.11 software with the 06.005 version.

Well, the switch on the back now lights up! First time I’ve seen it lit since I got the grill. I’m going to try and forget my wifi on the grill and start the pairing over again.

Mine still hasn’t updated. The light on the back doesn’t work again and it only keeps temp when it’s under 225. I think I’m done. I’m going to try and return it tomorrow. I don’t know if I should upgrade to the timberline, downgrade to the pro575 or look at different brands. I cooked pork tenderloin Sunday, and sausages today and they don’t have near as much smoke flavour as my other smoker gave off. Even on supersmoke the traeger doesn’t produce much smoke. The smoke ring around the pork was weak to say the best. I’m disappointed but still have confidence in the traeger brand. I just think they have some bugs to work out of the ironwood.

The TImberline isn't much better IMO and the same controller. I would say be patient, leave the smoker on over a few days and/or call support. I believe they can "push" an update to you. It really is a good cooker after that update and again Timberline isn't immune to that same issue.

Mine still hasn’t updated. The light on the back doesn’t work again and it only keeps temp when it’s under 225. I think I’m done. I’m going to try and return it tomorrow. I don’t know if I should upgrade to the timberline, downgrade to the pro575 or look at different brands. I cooked pork tenderloin Sunday, and sausages today and they don’t have near as much smoke flavour as my other smoker gave off. Even on supersmoke the traeger doesn’t produce much smoke. The smoke ring around the pork was weak to say the best. I’m disappointed but still have confidence in the traeger brand. I just think they have some bugs to work out of the ironwood.
The light in the switch sounds to be intermittent, if the controller is on, you have power. Contact Traeger for a new switch.

Back