Help! Ironwood won’t connect to phone

I can't believe Traeger isn't get more info out about this program. I see many of you getting new controllers but the problem is not a hardware one. Traeger actually has the fix but as of today it requires work on the back end to sign your individual grill into the system to get it working, only the development team itself is doing that. I guess a full fix is coming very, very soon according the to development person that fixed my grill but they should be informing their customer support team. I suspect the reason why in some cases new controllers have "fixed" Ironwoods with this problem is the controllers come from a serial number set that properly identifies with the Traeger servers right off the bat.

I think that there is a problem with the app but it doesn't end there. I suspect there are issues with the information that should be on file in our Traeger accounts. I registered my grill while logged into my account yet today, there is no information on what I own. The app craps out when I try and rename the grill yet the grill controller is recognised by my modem and is assigned an IP address. I think the app is supposed to communicate with Traeger's server and update their data on the product. If this doesn't happen nothing completes.
The rest of the storey changes depending on which way the wind blows. I've been told the temp probe and and the wifi antenna have been upgraded as well. Perhaps they were bitten by their choice of component and that's just putting more sand in the Vaseline.

I think that there is a problem with the app but it doesn't end there. I suspect there are issues with the information that should be on file in our Traeger accounts. I registered my grill while logged into my account yet today, there is no information on what I own. The app craps out when I try and rename the grill yet the grill controller is recognised by my modem and is assigned an IP address. I think the app is supposed to communicate with Traeger's server and update their data on the product. If this doesn't happen nothing completes.
The rest of the storey changes depending on which way the wind blows. I've been told the temp probe and and the wifi antenna have been upgraded as well. Perhaps they were bitten by their choice of component and that's just putting more sand in the Vaseline.

That’s exactly it. I was contacted privately by a development team member who used my controller serial number (which could never be registered by the app even thought the grill showed connected to my WiFi, they couldn’t “see it”) to manually connect my grill to their network. I was led to believe at this point this is an ability limited to the development team (not customer service) and they aren’t setup to deal with this on a big scale grill by grill. Once he manually entered my data I was instantly connected and once my grill updated firmware I have this issue 100% fixed. As of late last week he believed they were days away from globally fixing this and were working on it daily.

My controller or at least a shipment is due from Traeger this coming Monday. For all l know it could very well be another tin of rub. I mentioned before that the app would crap out at the nick name input but it showed as online my network. I can't log in! I checked my version tonight and it upgraded last night to 01. 01. 04 but alas no connection. I'll install the new controller on Monday . As I understand it includes a new type of probe, a new wifi antenna and whatever else they came up with. I think they may be putting better quality components in the controller. Being cheap often drives the cost up considerably. So many lies and bent promises. You talk to ten reps and get about ten versions of what's happening.

I really like the product though and after everything is fixed I'll probably be a Traeger Fan Boy again :rolleyes:?:rolleyes:.............?

Hopefully they have manually registered this controller otherwise you'll be stuck in the same boat. I received a replacement and it was for an older firmware. I hoped that nonetheless it would registered and allow the app wizard to complete, but alas no. Hoping you have better luck and am encouraged from canyonblue737's news that this may be fixed for everyone soon ending this fiasco. I have someone from Traeger coming out to me on Tuesday so will update on outcome and/or any new or additional information.

I received my new controller and swapped it out, it was 01:00:07 when I received it on the second try it connected to my network however the app crapped out when I entered the nickname. It seemed to connect faster and my Wifi Analyser app showed 45/50 db within a few feet. (about the same)
Within minutes the controller updated to 01: 01:04. I terminated the network connection and put the cover on. I was able to run the app in my 2nd floor office (over the decK) and tie into my network. Of course the app crapped out at the naming ?.
There is little hope in getting continuity from Traeger at this point. I called and asked for any notes on the new controller. The rep wasn't sure if it was updated component wise and to help me sent me an installation video of last generations pro controller ( a day late and a $1.98 short). It took very few minutes to install.

When pressed the rep read me a statement that covered what Canyonblue has been talking about, the Traeger servers and the app both at fault and they are looking for a global solution . They added that we could continue using our grill without wifi.

I may well reinstall the original controller.

I received my new controller and swapped it out, it was 01:00:07 when I received it on the second try it connected to my network however the app crapped out when I entered the nickname. It seemed to connect faster and my Wifi Analyser app showed 45/50 db within a few feet. (about the same)
Within minutes the controller updated to 01: 01:04. I terminated the network connection and put the cover on. I was able to run the app in my 2nd floor office (over the decK) and tie into my network. Of course the app crapped out at the naming ?.
There is little hope in getting continuity from Traeger at this point. I called and asked for any notes on the new controller. The rep wasn't sure if it was updated component wise and to help me sent me an installation video of last generations pro controller ( a day late and a $1.98 short). It took very few minutes to install.

When pressed the rep read me a statement that covered what Canyonblue has been talking about, the Traeger servers and the app both at fault and they are looking for a global solution . They added that we could continue using our grill without wifi.

I may well reinstall the original controller.

You have a different (also bad) experience than me, I can run right through the setup wizard but upon completion it just returns to the start screen as if nothing had happened. Out of curiosity what happens if you leave the nickname blank - same issue?

You have a different (also bad) experience than me, I can run right through the setup wizard but upon completion it just returns to the start screen as if nothing had happened. Out of curiosity what happens if you leave the nickname blank - same issue?
Same issue no change

OK so Rep from Traeger came out today at the promised time. He unfortunately had not been briefed by head office (as they promised) but was able to replicate the issue both on my device (obviously) and his also. Although he wasn't able to resolve it directly, he did provide me with a new controller (actually from a Timberline) that connected immediately on firmware 01.00.11 so seems it is not solely related to the firmware but some combination of all components.

I don't think the grills are different enough to mean that any change in algorithm will throw off the controlling of temps etc, but if I do run into any further issues I'll update again here.

Bonus is that I will be able to add a pellet sensor when they're released :)

Grill has now (within 10 minutes) updated to firmware 01.01.04.

So first cook complete with the now working controller! For those still struggling, persevere as the wifi control is a game changer for sure.

I did feel that the indicated temp was running 5-8 degrees less that the set temperature whereas my Ironwood controller was pretty much rock solid.

Being that I now have a Timberline controller for my Ironwood I may be being paranoid that it's going to run lower due to the controller running algorithms for the Timberline that has greater insulation. Only 1 cook in so we will now obsess! - paranoid?

OK so Rep from Traeger came out today at the promised time. He unfortunately had not been briefed by head office (as they promised) but was able to replicate the issue both on my device (obviously) and his also. Although he wasn't able to resolve it directly, he did provide me with a new controller (actually from a Timberline) that connected immediately on firmware 01.00.11 so seems it is not solely related to the firmware but some combination of all components.

I don't think the grills are different enough to mean that any change in algorithm will throw off the controlling of temps etc, but if I do run into any further issues I'll update again here.

Bonus is that I will be able to add a pellet sensor when they're released :)
CampWhatnot has been looking to get one. The plug and logic is there on the Ironwood controllers, it's just a matter of finding the sensor.

CampWhatnot has been looking to get one. The plug and logic is there on the Ironwood controllers, it's just a matter of finding the sensor.

There’s a rubber plug in the hopper and the rep said the Ironwood are also wired for the sensor so should be just plug and play. I’ll be getting one when they come out as a stand-alone item and will let everyone know.

I used my daughters I Phone and connected and completed the install first try BUT when I was done rejoicing, I had put the cursor on "back" and pressed the knob and "forget network" came up. I thought I had a dyslexic moment but it turns out that I did select back.
I had limited time with the phone and tried to re install the network . The I phone connected directly to the Traeger wirefire controller no matter what I did and wouldn't give me the option of going through the install again to include my network. It worked around my deck, family room and kitchen area, direct phone to controller. I deleted and reinstalled the app on the I phone it broke the connection and when I tried to sign in and reinstall at that point it showed a notification that there was a login underway. It would seem that the host was not the I Phone but a Traeger server. I get the phone for a few hours tomorrow and will try again.
I called service and requested they accelerate my issues, they said I'll get a call 24 - 48 hours. The rep also sent me their notes that pertain to the Wifire Controller. Anyone interested in a copy of the email? Let me know, start a conversation.

Hah.. I got the same treatment from the wife yesterday, "You're not going to leave that cable running across the house are you?"

So something I haven't tried yet, running the older versions of the Traeger app on an android platform . I'm going to try that later today.

The very first firmware update (01.01.00 3/5/19) release notes specify "1. Improved WiFi stability. ", I'm guessing we got grills that had a beta/pre-retail version of the firmware as it's not even listed on their change log.
What worked for me was entering everything manually

Any update for those that could not connect? FWIW, after getting connected my grill paint was burning off and had to file another claim. They sent me a new grill and this one connected without one single issue.

Latest Discussions

Back