Help! Ironwood won’t connect to phone

Ironwood650

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood650
Hello, I’m new to traeger grills. I was really excited to get my new ironwood650 until I set it up. I first noticed that the grill will not sit right in the bottom position, the left ledge That the grill sits on is bent a little downwards while the right side is flat. When a little weight is applied to the grill it sits flat so I decided not to worry about it. I then tried to connect to wifire. I’m on my second DAY now trying to connect it. I have tried everything!

The grill itself seems to be connecting to my wifi but the phone won’t find the grill. I go through all the steps of connecting it.

1. Open the app
  2. Choose “connect the traeger to wifire
  3. Click “I agree”
  4. Click “continue” to connect to my wifi
  5. Scan the qr code ... I have also tried entering the info manually
  6. Enter wifi password
  7. Choose “join” when it asks me if the traeger can connect to wifi (usually this comes up twice)
  8. Nickname my grill and click “continue”
  9. Start process all over again because the app automatically goes back to the first page with the choice of “connect to traeger wifire”

When I try to do the connecting over again it tells me that I can’t do it and I have to forget the wifi network on the traeger. I go to the control panel and “forget network” and try again only to get the same results. The signal strength ranges from -61 outside to -40 inside.

Here is what I have tried so far... I have tried most of these more than once.

1. Moved the grill inside so it’s about 10’ from my router.
  2. Rename 2.4g and 5g
  3. Shut off 5g on my router so I only have 2.4g.
  4. Disconnected my security system and google from wifi
  5. Reloaded the app on my phone.
  6. Restarted my phone
  7. Restarted the grill (unplugged etc)
  8. Gone through this several times.
  9. Tried my wife’s iPad, my old iPhone, and my iPad.

It seems like the grill is connecting to the wifi but the app isn’t connecting to the grill. I am using an iPhone.

If anyone has any suggestions I’m open to trying them. I’m at my wits end with this. I picked up some ribs and pork tenderloin on my way home with the grill yesterday and they are still sitting in the fridge with nothing done to them and I’m sitting here on the couch frustrated that my $1600 grill won’t work.

Thank you.

Update:

The customer service person said my grill needed to update. I am supposed to turn it on and leave it in standby mode for 12h.

How does the grill get the update without being connected to wifi? Anyways, here is what I have done...

1. Plug the grill in
  2. Flip the red switch on the back

The controller is still off but the ring around the power button is lit up. Is this what they mean by standby mode? Should I connect my grill to my wifi and put it back in standby mode or just leave it the way it is not connected to wifi in standby mode.

Thanks.

Hello, I’m new to traeger grills. I was really excited to get my new ironwood650 until I set it up. I first noticed that the grill will not sit right in the bottom position, the left ledge That the grill sits on is bent a little downwards while the right side is flat. When a little weight is applied to the grill it sits flat so I decided not to worry about it. I then tried to connect to wifire. I’m on my second DAY now trying to connect it. I have tried everything!

The grill itself seems to be connecting to my wifi but the phone won’t find the grill. I go through all the steps of connecting it.

1. Open the app
  2. Choose “connect the traeger to wifire
  3. Click “I agree”
  4. Click “continue” to connect to my wifi
  5. Scan the qr code ... I have also tried entering the info manually
  6. Enter wifi password
  7. Choose “join” when it asks me if the traeger can connect to wifi (usually this comes up twice)
  8. Nickname my grill and click “continue”
  9. Start process all over again because the app automatically goes back to the first page with the choice of “connect to traeger wifire”
When I try to do the connecting over again it tells me that I can’t do it and I have to forget the wifi network on the traeger. I go to the control panel and “forget network” and try again only to get the same results. The signal strength ranges from -61 outside to -40 inside.

Here is what I have tried so far... I have tried most of these more than once.

1. Moved the grill inside so it’s about 10’ from my router.
  2. Rename 2.4g and 5g
  3. Shut off 5g on my router so I only have 2.4g.
  4. Disconnected my security system and google from wifi
  5. Reloaded the app on my phone.
  6. Restarted my phone
  7. Restarted the grill (unplugged etc)
  8. Gone through this several times.
  9. Tried my wife’s iPad, my old iPhone, and my iPad.
It seems like the grill is connecting to the wifi but the app isn’t connecting to the grill. I am using an iPhone.

If anyone has any suggestions I’m open to trying them. I’m at my wits end with this. I picked up some ribs and pork tenderloin on my way home with the grill yesterday and they are still sitting in the fridge with nothing done to them and I’m sitting here on the couch frustrated that my $1600 grill won’t work.

Thank you.
Hello - I think we both must have contacted support at the same time, I was told the same thing: the firmware needs to update :-( I ask the same question? How will it update if it cannot connect to my network or the Internet and I was told that it could contact via the cloud to Traeger servers, now if this is true (device that's not on your network, wifi or otherwise) can reach out to the Traeger datacenter and grab a firmware update? I call bs on that one. It's been over 24 hours with the thing on and it hasn't updated in the least. I however have downgraded my level of patience. Tried everything you did + an attempt to join via an Android device (as was recommended on Reddit) and it connects but I can't control anything and I still don't see it on my network at all. I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one dealing with this and I hope we can get it resolved quickly. Also, I think the standby mode is when the unit is plugged in and the silver button is illuminated but the screen is off. I believe that's standby mode - I'm in it now on my 650 to see if this firmware update can actually occur.

Last edited:
Hello - I think we both must have contacted support at the same time, I was told the same thing: the firmware needs to update :-( I ask the same question? How will it update if it cannot connect to my network or the Internet and I was told that it could contact via the cloud to Traeger servers, now if this is true (device that's not on your network, wifi or otherwise) can reach out to the Traeger datacenter and grab a firmware update? I call bs on that one. It's been over 24 hours with the thing on and it hasn't updated in the least. I however have downgraded my level of patience. Tried everything you did + an attempt to join via an Android device (as was recommended on Reddit) and it connects but I can't control anything and I still don't see it on my network at all. I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one dealing with this and I hope we can get it resolved quickly. Also, I think the standby mode is when the unit is plugged in and the silver button is illuminated but the screen is off. I believe that's standby mode - I'm in it now on my 650 to see if this firmware update can actually occur.
I just had mine on standby connected to my wifi overnight and got nothing. I’m still running the 01.00.11 and I’m supposed to be at 01.01.01 ... at least that’s what I was told. I really don’t think it will connect without wifi. I can’t say for sure but a grill that can’t be more than 10’ from my router to get wifi probably isn’t going to be able to pick something up from “the cloud”. Please let me know if yours actually updates. I was going to call back today but I think it’s a waste of time. I’m going to wait until Monday. I might just start using it today.

I absolutely refuse to use it until this is resolved - for a manufacturer who is a leader in this industry this is absurd. I've been watching and waiting for months for this to work itself out and live up to the Traeger name but it hasn't thus far and now I have a 200+ # grill that I could have paid half the money for if all I wanted was a pellet smoker. I've escalated to the place I purchased it from and will get them involved on my behalf - life is way to short to accept mediocrity. I am also running 01.00.11 and was told that it should be 01.01.02, you'd think they'd plan for a better way for these firmware updates to take place - all it takes is a little USB port on the controller board. Geez. Good luck to you...

Be sure that your phone is connected to the 2.4 GH band of your router and not the 5g band. Both,the Traeger and cell phone must be connected to 2.4 g. For what's it is worth iOS connects easier then android initially, then the android phones will then connect easily. Been my experience at least. Cheers.

Last edited:
I have the iPhone and it still won’t connect. I was told by customer service it needed a software update. I’ve been waiting for it to update for two days now.

Be sure that your phone is connected to the 2.4 GH band of your router and not the 5g band. Both,the Traeger and cell phone must be connected to 2.4 g. For what's it is worth iOS connects easier then android initially, then the android phones will then connect easily. Been my experience at least. Cheers.
Actually, it was easier for me on the Android yet it still doesn't work. I think I just got a lemon too. Processing warranty return.

I have the exact same issue, just got mine yesterday, super excited and now very deflated that I cannot use the main feature I bought it for...

I have also setup second network set only to 2.4ghz no other devices on that network.

iPhone connects, grill connects - all seems to go perfectly but then seemingly at the end of the process it bounces back to start of the wizard as if nothing happened. I have also told it to forget network, unplugged it, deleted App and reloaded etc etc etc to no avail.

Really hoping this is resolved otherwise it will have to go back, this is the reason I bought this brand.

I have the iPhone and it still won’t connect. I was told by customer service it needed a software update. I’ve been waiting for it to update for two days now.

I'm not convinced waiting for the firmware update is the issue. I'm guessing a stall tactic. I have had mine since April 1 with the old firmware and yes I had to try to connect a few times and it connected to iOS easier than android. I have also tried to connect other devices since the newest firmware with the same issues but finally it connected. Also be sure your network signal is strong. Remember the lower the db signal the stronger.

I'm not convinced waiting for the firmware update is the issue. I'm guessing a stall tactic. I have had mine since April 1 with the old firmware and yes I had to try to connect a few times and it connected to iOS easier than android. I have also tried to connect other devices since the newest firmware with the same issues but finally it connected. Also be sure your network signal is strong. Remember the lower the db signal the stronger.

I have now spoken to them and they'll be sending me a new controller with the new firmware (2+ week wait), so it will remain to be seen if this resolves. They also advised me I cannot return it as its been assembled!!

Grill is approx 25' from the router and shows 4 bars on the grill display and hovers around -50. I see the grill on the network so the issue isn't with connection protocols, it's with what (doesn't) happen post connection...

Last edited:
I have now spoken to them and they'll be sending me a new controller with the new firmware (2+ week wait), so it will remain to be seen if this resolves. They also advised me I cannot return it as its been assembled!!

Grill is approx 25' from the router and shows 4 bars on the grill display and hovers around -50. I see the grill on the network so the issue isn't with connection protocols, it's with what (doesn't) happen post connection...

Signal strength is good

Having similar issues. A rep told me the middlelayer that the grill connects to was having issues and to expect a fix by the end of the month... Why release an update that breaks key functionality.

I went through much of the same trouble getting my 650 to connect as well. Something I read though about wifi analytics said it may be connecting to a stronger signal say from a neighbor's wifi if on the same channel. Go into your router settings and find a channel with less traffic, might help out. I bought mine 7/3 and couldn't get it to connect till 7/7 after trying multiple devices and different networks. Finally that Saturday morning it held my network in the controller but didn't finish the setup, so I forgot the network, tried again and it went through finally. Been working great since. Use the grill 3-4 days a week now.

I went through much of the same trouble getting my 650 to connect as well. Something I read though about wifi analytics said it may be connecting to a stronger signal say from a neighbor's wifi if on the same channel. Go into your router settings and find a channel with less traffic, might help out. I bought mine 7/3 and couldn't get it to connect till 7/7 after trying multiple devices and different networks. Finally that Saturday morning it held my network in the controller but didn't finish the setup, so I forgot the network, tried again and it went through finally. Been working great since. Use the grill 3-4 days a week now.

This is good to hear, gives me some hope. I also tried a couple of different channels no luck, I only have two devices registered on it, the grill and my iPhone (when trying to set it up). The grill holds the connection and I see a tiny bot of traffic to and from it, but still the App won't see/connect to the grill...

Back