Ironwood or Timberline

Bippedibopp

Reaction score
Hi!
I have been looking at the Traegers for a while and just now there is a 40-50% off campaign on these grills. I was considering the Ironwood 885 and had more or less decided when this offer came out. The Timberline 1300 is now the same price as the full price IIronwood 885. The main reasons why I am now in doubt are the additional insulation and the stainless steel material of the Timberline. I live on the west coast of Norway and my thinking is that I could perhaps enjoy barbeque season for longer with some additional sturdyness in the design.

I would be thankful if any of you could let me know if there really is a significant difference between the two in this area? The Timberline is still pricey (and 120kg!) and I can now get the Ironwood for about 580 dollars less.

Decisions decisions....

Thanks in advance!

Hi!
I have been looking at the Traegers for a while and just now there is a 40-50% off campaign on these grills. I was considering the Ironwood 885 and had more or less decided when this offer came out. The Timberline 1300 is now the same price as the full price IIronwood 885. The main reasons why I am now in doubt are the additional insulation and the stainless steel material of the Timberline. I live on the west coast of Norway and my thinking is that I could perhaps enjoy barbeque season for longer with some additional sturdyness in the design.

I would be thankful if any of you could let me know if there really is a significant difference between the two in this area? The Timberline is still pricey (and 120kg!) and I can now get the Ironwood for about 580 dollars less.

Decisions decisions....

Thanks in advance!

I have the Ironwood 885 and was concerned about that also. The Ironwood has double insulated sides and a bottom barrel plate that helps with insulation. I added high heat gasketing to the lid on the sides and top to add to the gasket along the bottom of the lid. So far I’ve had no problems with the coldest air temp we’ve had this year of 27°. Granted that’s not Norway cold. I think you’d have no problem using the Ironwood in cold temps. Where I think the Timberline will give you an advantage with the full double insulation will be pellet usage. The Ironwood will be feeding the fire more pellt than the Ironwood to maintain steady cooking temps. And if you’re near the ocean the full stainless will be easier to maintai.

I looked at the Timberline when they first came out because of the extra insulation and higher temperatures. We live in Montana and thought the Timberline would extend our grilling season into winter. I decided against it because my wife likes to cook on our Traeger and the Timberline lid was to heavy. She is small and could not lift it. Also the costs was more than I felt we should spend on a grill. We have an Ironwood 885 and so far it is preforming very well. As a little history we have owned Little Tex, Little Tex Elite over the last 12 years. This year we have had the Pro 575 and Pro 22 and return them both for the Ironwood. We are just beginning to see colder temperatures so I can give a report how it preforms. The Timberline has been marketed for longer than the Ironwood so based on that I buy the Ironwood. However, check out other postings on this forum. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks both for the response!? I actually found some photos in here showing the ironwood with the gasket installed. Very useful tip!

Hi!

Decisions decisions....

Thanks in advance!

Is this campaign only in Norway? I have yet to see a sale that good on the higher trim lines....

Is this campaign only in Norway? I have yet to see a sale that good on the higher trim lines....
I guess so...there is not many places they sell these in Norway and apparently these guys are moving to some larger facilities and want to empty the storage before the move. 40% off?

If i had the choice, timberline all the way. Especially if price is the same... Even if it doesn't get overly cold out, additional insulation will keep temperatures from fluctuating even more and provide higher efficiency with the burn so less pellets used. In my cheap opinion :p

If i had the choice, timberline all the way. Especially if price is the same... Even if it doesn't get overly cold out, additional insulation will keep temperatures from fluctuating even more and provide higher efficiency with the burn so less pellets used. In my cheap opinion :p
Thanks! It is very tempting indeed! ? Only have a couple days to decide as the offer is launched on the 22nd and I believe they will get ripped away fast.

Minnesota here, I just purchased an ironwood 885 did my burn in last week when it was 9F. Had no issues getting up to 500 was pretty impressed. Cooked burgers afterwords and maintained 375 (+/- 5 degrees) no problem. So far I have no concerns

Minnesota here, I just purchased an ironwood 885 did my burn in last week when it was 9F. Had no issues getting up to 500 was pretty impressed. Cooked burgers afterwords and maintained 375 (+/- 5 degrees) no problem. So far I have no concerns
That is impressive! I am terrible with these household "gadgets". Robot mower, robot vacuum cleaner, food processor, or barbeque...I have to investigate EVERY detail before I decide. Now I am even having dreams about this Traeger...that's how bad it is?? And I am driving my Hubby insane in the process?

A little update and thanjs for the recommendation - I went for the Timberline and I sure am happy with the performance! The Ironwood would probably also have been a great choice but now I know for sure that I have a tool that copes with cold strong winds in the middle of winter? got it assembled on New Year's Eve.

So now I just have to practice and improve my barbeque skills?

My Ironwood has handled the few cold days we’ve had in DC this year (around 25° actual and windy) but I’m stil getting a Timberline this year. Regarding your BBQ skills, I was a stick burner for a couple decades and usually got good results. I always gave a heartfelt thank you when I received compliments on a successful cook. Nowadays when I get compliments I just say “I’ll let my Traeger know you liked it”.

My Ironwood has handled the few cold days we’ve had in DC this year (around 25° actual and windy) but I’m stil getting a Timberline this year. Regarding your BBQ skills, I was a stick burner for a couple decades and usually got good results. I always gave a heartfelt thank you when I received compliments on a successful cook. Nowadays when I get compliments I just say “I’ll let my Traeger know you liked it”.
Hopefully I will be able to get to that level after a few times?

Hi!

Decisions decisions....

Thanks in advance!

WHAT????40-50% OFF?????
I just bought an ironwood not at full
Price but I would of jumped on the timberline if I would of seen a 40-50% off. I looked at the sales during Black Friday and everything was at best 10% off here in the west coast and the timberline ones were excluded in that sale

Latest Discussions

Back