Ironwood Defective Lid

Added kamado gasket to my Ironwood 650, works well! No more smoke coming under the lid. Easy and cheap modification, IMHO.

Attachments

• IMG_2192.jpg
    IMG_2192.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 114
I actually put some ratchet straps around the lid on the left and right sides to help give it the curve it needs, along with the gasket and that has worked pretty good to. Tighten them fairly tight and leave them on for a few hours with the lid open.

I actually put some ratchet straps around the lid on the left and right sides to help give it the curve it needs, along with the gasket and that has worked pretty good to. Tighten them fairly tight and leave them on for a few hours with the lid open.

Nice idea.

Pretty disappointing that it is required on a $2,000 grill in order to get it to work properly. I've had mine going on a year and I have yet to see an awesome smoke ring like I have seen on some other folks Traegers. Makes me wonder about that.

Nice idea.

Pretty disappointing that it is required on a $2,000 grill in order to get it to work properly. I've had mine going on a year and I have yet to see an awesome smoke ring like I have seen on some other folks Traegers. Makes me wonder about that.

Agreed. I've been working with Traeger to replace, but am not sold that will fix it anyway, and would have to put a new gasket on...

Added kamado gasket to my Ironwood 650, works well! No more smoke coming under the lid. Easy and cheap modification, IMHO.
did you notice any melting of the material or have you had to replace this since then?

1st Traeger. Yeah I’m disappointed I did’t read this forum first before purchasing one last sept. While I do enjoy it and have had some great cooks on it, cold weather cooks this winter is when I discovered it. It’s a lot of money to spend and get no real solution from Traeger. Design flaw in the factory gasket causes it to pop out since it is welded too low. Was in ace the other day and the showroom model had the same issue. Ace sai
D7C60958-16A8-4EB0-827B-61F6606F3753.jpeg
d they would make a call for me to Traeger to investigate but unless Traeger designs a new lid for the 885 with the factory gasket welded higher up, replacement with same lid is pointless. Sounds like replacements sent out are the same lids with gasket welded too low. Can’t believe they still sell the model with this flaw to their distributors on the showroom floor with it months later after complaints. I bought lavalock aftermarket gaskets. They have helped but still sour that I had to do so. I’d even be satisfied if they sent a new lid without the factory gasket that would actually sit flush and seal and apply lavalock myself to it. Take a look at the gap on mine prior to lavalock gasket. You can see right through to the other side. Gap = loss of heat and burning through pellets faster. Like I said it’s fun to use and have had some great food on it, just disappointed I’m applying an aftermarket fix to a brand new $1400 dollar grill with no solution from the Traeger factory. Poor form...

I’d even be satisfied if they sent a new lid without the factory gasket that would actually sit flush and seal and apply lavalock myself to it.

If this is what you want then you can remove the gasket yourself. I can't tell by your picture how well-matched the symmetry is between your lid and pit but if the two marry one another nicely then you might end up with a very good fit by removing the factory gasket. But it may not hold securely if you change your mind after removing it.

Had the same problem. I used Lava Lock gasket all around 650. I had to put shims at the top to.make. it level. Working for 12 months so far.

Grill Masters! I am relatively new to the smoker game and my initial experience with the purchase was less than ideal. First off, I purchased the Ironwood 650 model this past July 15th, directly from Traeger. Once I completed the assembly, I noticed that the lid didn't close completely. I was not sure, and still am not sure if the grey mesh type material along the top edge, that keep the lid from completely closing, is the way the grill is suppose to function. I immediately contacted CS and was told that they would send out new hinges, but they were on backorder. Since I needed the grill immediately (I had given my gas grill away the previous week), I went to Home Depot and purchased a Pro Series 34, and have been grilling happily every since. Now over 2 months later, after requesting a return (which was accepted), the 650 still sits in my garage waiting on a shipper. I have contacted Traeger 3 times and each time the same thing, "the shipper will contact you". Now after reading your posts, I am thinking of keeping the 650 and selling the 34 (I already have a buyer). My question to you, does the lid discrepancy inhibit in a significant way the functioning of the grill? And the gray material, is that the gasket that has been mentioned in this forum? Sorry for such a long post, especially from a new guy. Any and all comments are welcome. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3519.jpg
    IMG_3519.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3523.jpg
    IMG_3523.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3531.jpg
    IMG_3531.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3534.jpg
    IMG_3534.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 68
Last summer I'd had enough of the fibs and my butt was sore from having smoke blown up it. I somehow got connected to a second tier and was offered a replacement. I declined because I'm a gimp and had no way of getting it from garage to deck and would have difficulty building it. Besides I' didn't think it was worth the time or worry. The rep said she'd arrange for it to be built and moved. I said something like "if pigs could fly"

About 3 or 4 weeks later I get a call from YRC Reimer Freight saying we have a Traeger Grill we'd like to deliver ASAP. A few days later they dropped the skid in my garage. That with my several saws and other man toyz completely made the designated car parking area totally inaccessible. So I built it, nailed the skid to the wall and pushed the 650 next to my table saw. I'm not mechanically inept just physically inconvenienced, once I get on the ground I stay there until my wife gives me a hand in getting up. By this time the snow was flying, but the car was safely parked (but the wife was still complaining)

Then Covid came knocking and the snow was still on the ground ( deep snow) and the border was closed and all of these promises bore no fruit . While waiting it eventually warmed up and I did install a lava gasket on the door. To be sure of the best bond, I did clean the door edge with methyl hydrate and applied the gasket using a breyer (a roller used by artists rather than a crappy old roller used by cretens). Now the new unit door had a better fit than my original but the gasket made it almost perfect)

I finally found enough horsepower to get the old unit across my yard and the new one in and up the deck steps. The grill has a slightly different build than my original and is tight with minimal leakage. This is the first time I could go over 375 without a major fire, I've actually had it up to 455. I should get a new bottle of Krud Kutter and try for 500. I did find the response a tad slow, as well.

PS: A quick note as to why I slacked off using this site. I went through several health surprises this past year and I'm still not out of the woods. So no Mr Fletcher it wasn't you, it was my fault

Last edited:
I bought the 650 back around April and had the same issue. It wasn't a huge leak, but the fact that the lid and chamber are, basically, a rough metal to metal contact seal, there is no real sealing of the chamber with these smokers. With the rough powder coat finish on these units, you can't expect there to be a serious, leak proof, seal on these.
I had some furnace seal strips that I had left over from when I sealed up my Weber Smokey Mountains a few years back and placed it around the tops and sides of the lid. It doesn't have to be thick stuff to seal these lids. As you can see on mine, the seal does a pretty good job. It does still allow some smoke to pass, but it cut down the amount of heat loss and errant smoke by nearly 95+%. You can see, in the photos, where the felt is clean along the lines of the smoker, and in places where the smoke goes past. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20200926_094312 (Small).jpg
    20200926_094312 (Small).jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 20200926_094332 (Small).jpg
    20200926_094332 (Small).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 20200926_094349 (Small).jpg
    20200926_094349 (Small).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 74
I bought the 650 back around April and had the same issue. It wasn't a huge leak, but the fact that the lid and chamber are, basically, a rough metal to metal contact seal, there is no real sealing of the chamber with these smokers. With the rough powder coat finish on these units, you can't expect there to be a serious, leak proof, seal on these.
I had some furnace seal strips that I had left over from when I sealed up my Weber Smokey Mountains a few years back and placed it around the tops and sides of the lid. It doesn't have to be thick stuff to seal these lids. As you can see on mine, the seal does a pretty good job. It does still allow some smoke to pass, but it cut down the amount of heat loss and errant smoke by nearly 95+%. You can see, in the photos, where the felt is clean along the lines of the smoker, and in places where the smoke goes past. Hope this helps.
Thank you Sir! CS informed me yesterday that a new lid/door is on its way. We'll see if it makes a difference. Stay safe. P

@Chiti66 - Unfortunately it probably will not make a difference. I have come to terms with the flaw and added LavaLock to the door. It has worked perfectly for a year and use my Ironwood a couple times a week.

So new lid arrived today and fits flush, metal to metal. I am sure some smoke will escape, and if it starts to bother the function of the unit, I’ll apply the lava rock. Unit has been sitting in garage since July, never used. Now I can sell my Pro 34 to my neighbor?. Stay safe gents.

Latest Discussions

Back