Ironwood 885 very little smoke

I have a Timberline 850 D2 -- purchased 12/2019 -- and the lack of smoke bugged me. But I fixed it by installing a Smoke Daddy Mangum PIG cold smoker. I tried everything -- tubes, changing pellets, etc -- but the only thing that 100% worked was the SD.

Downside? I had to drill a hole in my Timberline to install the SD. That was a little tricky -- took a little longer than I expected, even with cobalt step bits -- but I got it done in about 20 mins. No issues.

Now, the smoke is fantastic. I add two chunks of hardwood charcoal, light it, let it ash over -- about 15 mins -- then connect the SD air pump, add big chunks of wood (usually mesquite or cherry, in my case) -- and the cap it on the top and bottom. Smoke is intense -- and I can easily refill the SD with more chunks to make 2, 3 hours of smoke.

For me, the SD was the thing that finally gave me the smoke I expected.

I have a Timberline 850 D2 -- purchased 12/2019 -- and the lack of smoke bugged me. But I fixed it by installing a Smoke Daddy Mangum PIG cold smoker. I tried everything -- tubes, changing pellets, etc -- but the only thing that 100% worked was the SD.

Downside? I had to drill a hole in my Timberline to install the SD. That was a little tricky -- took a little longer than I expected, even with cobalt step bits -- but I got it done in about 20 mins. No issues.

Now, the smoke is fantastic. I add two chunks of hardwood charcoal, light it, let it ash over -- about 15 mins -- then connect the SD air pump, add big chunks of wood (usually mesquite or cherry, in my case) -- and the cap it on the top and bottom. Smoke is intense -- and I can easily refill the SD with more chunks to make 2, 3 hours of smoke.

Good to know. How bout some pics or video? Thanks.

FWIW, the cycling of the fan during Super Smoke is normal. It allows the pellets to smolder a little more, producing more smoke. With that said Traeger Grills with Down Draft exhaust which is an Ironwood feature DO NOT produce much visible smoke other than upon start up. The barrel of the smoker is designed to recirculate the air/smoke inside in an efficient way. The smoke will be nearly invisible. The best way to tell that your meat is getting smoked is to look for the smoke ring. My IW 885 doesn't produce much visible smoke, yet the smoke ring is always present. The longer you cook, or if you use super smoke or not, the thicker it is.

I’m thinking about getting the PIG for ironwood. Just purchased my first pellet grill (885) ever, and very disappointed in the flavor. Love the convenience, but hardly any smoke flavor. Tubes don’t work enough either! I wish I could get close to my stick burner, so hoping the generator works.

How would you compare a stick burner to the generator?

I’m brand new to the Traeger world, having just purchased an Ironwood 885 to replace my large Big Green Egg. I found this thread because I felt like I wasn’t getting the smoke output I expected. But I just cooked a pork shoulder over the weekend, and I’d have to say the less-than-visible smoke did its job...

11BD1648-22D2-4171-A650-E9B97EF04728.jpeg

FWIW, the cycling of the fan during Super Smoke is normal. It allows the pellets to smolder a little more, producing more smoke. With that said Traeger Grills with Down Draft exhaust which is an Ironwood feature DO NOT produce much visible smoke other than upon start up. The barrel of the smoker is designed to recirculate the air/smoke inside in an efficient way. The smoke will be nearly invisible. The best way to tell that your meat is getting smoked is to look for the smoke ring. My IW 885 doesn't produce much visible smoke, yet the smoke ring is always present. The longer you cook, or if you use super smoke or not, the thicker it is.

That looks awesome! How long and at what temp did you cook and did you use SS?

That’s been my experience with my IW 885 as well. I love that thing.

That looks awesome! How long and at what temp did you cook and did you use SS?
About 10 hours at 200, and then another 3-1/2 hours at 225, and up to 250 to get ’er done. SS was on until I went past 225

Thanks for the tip. I can’t tell you how irritated this makes me that I have to buy a smoker for my smoker! This should be a social media nightmare for Traeger!

Thanks for the tip. I can’t tell you how irritated this makes me that I have to buy a smoker for my smoker! This should be a social media nightmare for Traeger!

Well, this is your 1st post so I'm assuming you are also saying your ironwood doesn't give you the 'smoke' you were expecting?

You don't need more smoke, if you get into a habit of starting your cooks at a low smoking temp first or (don't you also have the super smoke setting?)... Traegers give off more smoke at low temps, meat will only accept so much smoke then it doesn't even need it anymore, it only needs to be cooked from there on...
Smoking meat with smoke the whole way thru the cook is a myth, once the meat has it's smoke ring and is cooked about 1/3 way in from the outside, it takes on no more flavor from smoke...

Last edited:
The Super Smoke function shuts itself off over 225 degrees.

Well, this is your 1st post so I'm assuming you are also saying your ironwood doesn't give you the 'smoke' you were expecting?

Correct, I have an Ironwood 885. I’m coming from a Bradley smoker that I still thankfully have. Let’s start with something minuscule like wings. It take 2.5 hours to smoke wings at 250. In that timeframe I would expect to actually taste a smoke flavor, but I do not on the Traeger. From what I have read, it appears that you might have a chance to obtain a semblance of a smoke flavor after about 8 hours on a low temp setting. It’s completely not up to my expectations. I have two neighbors with Traeger that are not the downdraft, so I guess I’ll have to compare. So, I get your link and have already read it prior to posting. I just have an issue with the tasteless smoke flavor accompanied by the invisible smoke.

Again, try wings at 180 with Super Smoke for 1 hour, then finish them off at 325 and eat...

I asked DivaQ about this during one of the classes because I never see a lot of smoke on Traeger's videos. She said the same thing others posted. White smoke is bad and, with the correct circulation, you will not see much but the flavor will be there.

I believe that Chad Ward has said the same thing on one of his videos.

Back