Ironwood 885 very little smoke

I asked DivaQ about this during one of the classes because I never see a lot of smoke on Traeger's videos. She said the same thing others posted. White smoke is bad and, with the correct circulation, you will not see much but the flavor will be there.

I believe that Chad Ward has said the same thing on one of his videos.
Anybody that says that you don't need a lot of smoke to get a good ring and good flavor...is just blowing smoke. Just go to a real BBQ competition...award winning brisket. No BS invisible smoke. Thankfully I still have my 10 year old Traeger. I tried side by side cooks...the old Traeger beats the 885 by far, in Ring presence and flavor....
This over priced 885 is going back.

Lots of blowing smoke out there when science is involved

This is my second smoker. I wish i would have kept my first. I do not like the 850. I have had it a year it burns the pellets at a much faster rate than my first Traeger. It fails to smoke the meat to my satisfaction like my old smoker. I have never had a bad experience on my old stove pipe design but this 850 don't smoke correctly as the rest of you have pointed out. I am unhappy with your very expensive cookers my super smoke is a joke the smoke ring on my cooks is nothing like the first smoker. I hate to say it but I think this is my last Treager im not real happy with the performance of this grill.

This is my second smoker. I wish i would have kept my first. I do not like the 850. I have had it a year it burns the pellets at a much faster rate than my first Traeger. It fails to smoke the meat to my satisfaction like my old smoker. I have never had a bad experience on my old stove pipe design but this 850 don't smoke correctly as the rest of you have pointed out. I am unhappy with your very expensive cookers my super smoke is a joke the smoke ring on my cooks is nothing like the first smoker. I hate to say it but I think this is my last Treager im not real happy with the performance of this grill.
Unfortunately/fortunately for you this form “isn’t associated with Traeger”, it’s a private form that has a lot of great members that go above and beyond to help answer questions as well as discussions about the different grills and the best part is sharing pictures of cooks.

I upgraded from a Z-Grill pellet smoker to the Ironwood 885 specifically for the Super Smoke feature. I was tired of using pellet tubes to enhance my smoke ring on the Z-Grill. After weeks of use on the Ironwood I am experiencing the same thing, little to no smoke created from the Super Smoke feature. Tomorrow I am cooking my first Wagyu brisket and I almost specifically bought the Traeger for this event, and now I'm concerned I'm not going to get that thick smoke ring I'm hoping for.
I have the 575 model, I looked at the 875 but my first thought was "where is the smoke stack?" that being said, I've had a nexgrill pellet grill and now the 575, with both I get a pretty substantial amount of smoke so this doesn't sound right but does seem to happen across the board with the 875 model.

I too am on my second pellet smoker but my first was a nexgrill, now it only lasted about a year and half and puked out it's performance was unbelievably better than Traegers. It smoked much better and it had higher temperature available 500° just isn't high enough for some applications.

Latest Discussions

Back