Ironwood 885 Smoking ( Super Smoke Mode)

gutter123

Reaction score
Grill
ironwood 885
I have tried Smoking a couple of 6 lbs. prime rib, on supper smoke mode for 7 hours. and i barely get any smoke flavor, i tried a the traeger signature pellets, and the Mesquite pellets. Anyone have any ideas why this is like this? its like i cooked it in an oven.... about to get rid of this pellet grill. Thanks

Keep temps down for more smoke.

I heard that before so i was running 200 degrees, and still barley any flavor. didn't no if there is any issues with this model i'm using?

This is the smoke ring I get when using my ironwood 650

Attachments

• 860F27FD-2EDD-45FD-A7D6-425942A07EF8.jpeg
    860F27FD-2EDD-45FD-A7D6-425942A07EF8.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 032A01DB-61ED-45C1-9C65-EE9B747BA7CA.jpeg
    032A01DB-61ED-45C1-9C65-EE9B747BA7CA.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 89
This is the smoke ring I get when using my ironwood 650
Wow I wish i could get that! this is what i had with 7 hours at 200 degrees and using Mesquite pellets. what type of pellets do you use?

Attachments

• Prime 11-26-20.jpg
    Prime 11-26-20.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 89
I barely had any smoke flavor, and i also was using a pellet Smoker tube to help...

Last edited:
Are you letting your beef come up to room temp before putting on the Traeger?

Colder meat will absorb more smoke than room temp meat.

Are you letting your beef come up to room temp before putting on the Traeger?

Colder meat will absorb more smoke than room temp meat.
Yes i put it out of the fridge at least an hour before putting it on. I will try that next time, but i can't imagen that is making that much difference?

I use traeger hickory pellets

I've used Traeger Apple pellet and get excellent smoke ring. Ive switched to Bear Mountain pellet apple and sweet bbq and also get a good smoke
20201129_164746.jpg
and taste. I also start low 165 tp 180 degrees for at least an hour minimum. My rig is the Pro 780.

Gutter123, I was right there with you and ready to get rid of a Silverton 620 because of no smoke flavor on long cooks with hickory pellets. Listening to the experience of the guys here, it sounds like 165-170 temps the first couple hours is the way to go. I did one test with good results and am more energized for more testing.
I also think I may have expected too much smoke flavor coming from an electric stick burner before maybe?

i love how traeger calls it a smoker but advertises wood fired flavor. I haven't gotten much smoke out of my ironwood unless cooking at 165f for a few hours, even then its not a lot of smoke flavor. I built a UDS for the smoke flavor I wanted, now the Ironwood is used for more set and forget things. Brisket overnight ect.

Just so you know that you don't need the smoke ring.

I recently made some sausage bites and put them on with just the smoke tube for 30 minutes. Then I fired up the smoker to 170 SS. Yes, I did get that smokey flavor.

Latest Discussions

Back