Ironwood 885 - Not Producing Much Smoke

Tdeklavs1

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
Just got 885 after owning a Pro Series 780 for 9 years. After burn in and my second or third cook it seems like the 885 doesn't produce much smoke at all during the cook. During my first 2-3 cooks I felt like it was a beast, producing a lot of smoke, and worked great and could noticeably tell the difference with super smoke on as well as compared to my older 780. Every cook since, has been very minimal, even with super smoke. The only thing I can potentially attribute is that during my third cook (bacon wrapped jalapenos and ribeye) cooked at 225 super smoke for 60 minutes then tried to finish at 500, reverse sear action with my Grill Grates. I left the jalapenos on while it was heating up to 500 as I opened at 450 or so to pull jalapenos and a small fire started, from bacon grease I assume. Once I got that under control I finished ribeye just fine. Smoke production has never been the same during my cooks since. Smoke production seems great during ignition but then after that not really much at all. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

I don't see as much smoke on my Ironwood as I did on my older 22 series. But the same smoke flavor is still there. Are you still getting the flavor? IMO, the downdraft exhaust vs. the smoke stack is what makes it seem like you aren't getting as much as you were on the 780.

I'd suggest giving that a read. My 885 does a great job of doing just that, without looking like a fireplace chimney, and I like the flavor it produces. I've recently added a smoke tube to my process to gain the ability to burn a different type of wood during the smoking process without having to empty the hopper and to add just a little more flavor.

And those eating the meat that I've cooked on the Ironwood are not complaining. Example, brisket done this past weekend. Two hours of super smoke at 190F with smoke tube burning mesquite, then simply watched my Fireboard to wait for the stall, which happened around 155F internal, wrapped, bumped temp to 225 and shut of SS and finished to 203F internal. Let the brisket rest for 2+ hours till dinner time and it was tender, juicy, and delicious.

Attachments

• IMG_5980.jpeg
    IMG_5980.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 97
Where do you place a smoke tube in an Ironwood to optimize its effect? Don't want the smoke to go from the tube directly into the downdraft exhaust and am not sure if the best place is in front, back, or on one side or the other. Thank you.

I'd suggest giving that a read. My 885 does a great job of doing just that, without looking like a fireplace chimney, and I like the flavor it produces. I've recently added a smoke tube to my process to gain the ability to burn a different type of wood during the smoking process without having to empty the hopper and to add just a little more flavor.

And those eating the meat that I've cooked on the Ironwood are not complaining. Example, brisket done this past weekend. Two hours of super smoke at 190F with smoke tube burning mesquite, then simply watched my Fireboard to wait for the stall, which happened around 155F internal, wrapped, bumped temp to 225 and shut of SS and finished to 203F internal. Let the brisket rest for 2+ hours till dinner time and it was tender, juicy, and delicious.
Nice work. How did you spice your brisket? Did you put any mustard on it?

I generally put the tube on one of the extreme front corners being careful to keep it away from the temperature probe. The downdraft exhaust does a good job circulating air in the cook chamber so I don't think you need to worry much.

Attachments

• 7B3AA259-B865-4D3D-B61B-577C39EF32F3.jpeg
    7B3AA259-B865-4D3D-B61B-577C39EF32F3.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 172
Nice work. How did you spice your brisket? Did you put any mustard on it?
Just salt and pepper on the flat as a rule. I don't use a binder and haven't seen the need to. Sometimes I use other rubs on the point if I'm doing burnt ends (as pictured above) and in that vein I'm a fan of the Meat Church products but I use way less than YouTube suggests.

Just salt and pepper on the flat as a rule. I don't use a binder and haven't seen the need to. Sometimes I use other rubs on the point if I'm doing burnt ends (as pictured above) and in that vein I'm a fan of the Meat Church products but I use way less than YouTube suggests.

Thanks. I figured. I now now why my smoke rings on my brisket don't turn out like that. I slather mine with mustard and a brisket rub till I don't see the mustard anymore and marinate all day. That is preventing me from getting the smoke ring, but that's OK as the folks who eat rave about the bark & flavor. (y)

I generally put the tube on one of the extreme front corners being careful to keep it away from the temperature probe. The downdraft exhaust does a good job circulating air in the cook chamber so I don't think you need to worry much.
Thanks for the reply and photo. Just ordered one for delivery tomorrow. I appreciate your help.

I don't see as much smoke on my Ironwood as I did on my older 22 series. But the same smoke flavor is still there. Are you still getting the flavor? IMO, the downdraft exhaust vs. the smoke stack is what makes it seem like you aren't getting as much as you were on the 780.
I have a Pro 575 with a smokestack 2 hole bolt pattern...I wonder what would happen with the smoke flavor if you inverted the smokestack pointing downward, minus the cap...I wonder if you would get the downdraft effect as it is still a forced air burn system?...🤔

How long did you use super smoke at 225? Total cook time?

Not remembering the specifics of that cook, my general feeling is to leave SS on for most of the cook until I ramp temps during wrap to finish on time. I also generally run a smoke tube for the first three hours and then don't worry. I've also started separating most of the flat from the point when I do a whole packer as the flat just cooks so much faster and I find dries out if I cook to coincide with the point. Last 12lb brisket wenton at 9 am and the flat was off at 4pm to eat at 6. The point ran a solid hour longer if not more.

I made Mississippi pot roast today on the 885 I had it on the smoker for 225 for 3 hrs and got that smoke ring. I had it on super smoke for those 3hrs the wrapped with peppers and the juice and 1 onion and carrots and seasoning.

it only smoked on start up.. but this tasted nice and smokey
20220411_141948.jpg

Latest Discussions

Back