Ironwood 885 Issues - Help!

rtucker2

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to pellet grills. Purchased a Pro 780 and wasn't happy with the level of smoke I was getting and the dealer let me upgrade to the Ironwood 885. I got it home and the grill would take forever to reach a temperature and even then it never made it there. Spent hours on the phone with Traeger, reps were clueless. Kept sending me troubleshooting steps for the wrong grill. They agreed it was not acting right and I called the dealer and they swapped it out.

On my 2nd 885 now, it is behaving somewhat better, but not how I think it should be. During burn in it could never reach 500 F. Cooked some ribs yesterday and it was consistently low. Set at 180, was 160, set at 225 was 200-205.

The Pro was right on the temps. +/- 5.

Am I the only one having issues with holding the correct temps. Not very impressed so far with this grill.

Hello all. I'm new to pellet grills. Purchased a Pro 780 and wasn't happy with the level of smoke I was getting and the dealer let me upgrade to the Ironwood 885. I got it home and the grill would take forever to reach a temperature and even then it never made it there. Spent hours on the phone with Traeger, reps were clueless. Kept sending me troubleshooting steps for the wrong grill. They agreed it was not acting right and I called the dealer and they swapped it out.

On my 2nd 885 now, it is behaving somewhat better, but not how I think it should be. During burn in it could never reach 500 F. Cooked some ribs yesterday and it was consistently low. Set at 180, was 160, set at 225 was 200-205.

Am I the only one having issues with holding the correct temps. Not very impressed so far with this grill.
Having the same issues with my Ironwood 650 (Please see the Ironwood cooks posts). I am also having the same results with Traeger reps. As a result, I'm taking mine back and will continue on with my Lil Tex. The Ironwoods, and every grill for that matter, should work right out of the box.

I haven't cooked anything below 200 degrees, so I'm not sure my Ironwood 650 would have those same issues. I'll have to cook something low and slow and see if I have the same results. It's too bad Traeger is having these issues on such a huge model upgrade.

I have run into the exact same issue. I believe it is a firmware issue, the Gen1 timberline had similar issues. I'm awaiting my replacement 885. Customer service was not helpful at all. The solution was to leave it idle for 24-48hrs to receive the update (never came)...was told that they would forward my info on to HQ to push an update to the smoker (never happened). I can't believe I replaced my BBQ Deluxe 100 for this. Are you seeing much more ash on the 885?

885 bought friday. Am an ACE Hardware dealer. Same issues. Right now its really tickin me off tryin to cook some chops quick. 50 degrees under and my pro22 was amazing vs this... on hold with traeger 25 min so far

Having the same issues with my Ironwood 650 (Please see the Ironwood cooks posts). I am also having the same results with Traeger reps. As a result, I'm taking mine back and will continue on with my Lil Tex. The Ironwoods, and every grill for that matter, should work right out of the box.

Link to the post your referencing

Got it sorry

Last edited:
Not having this issue with my 885. Only used twice but both times at 350 or higher. Will try low burn and see how it goes.

Same here. I received my Ironwood 885 this week, I'm seeing some strange issues with temps. When I set the grill to 225 it goes to about 200. If I want to get the grill above 200 I have to set it to 230, but then it goes up to around 250 while set at 230. The other issue is after about 30 minutes of the unit being powered on the fan stops and start intermittently which causes the temp to drop around 30 degrees. It eventually recovers but takes an hour or more. We need a fix for these issues.

Same here. I received my Ironwood 885 this week, I'm seeing some strange issues with temps. When I set the grill to 225 it goes to about 200. If I want to get the grill above 200 I have to set it to 230, but then it goes up to around 250 while set at 230. The other issue is after about 30 minutes of the unit being powered on the fan stops and start intermittently which causes the temp to drop around 30 degrees. It eventually recovers but takes an hour or more. We need a fix for these issues.

Make sure you have the latest firmware installed. My 650 was only solid at 230 and above and 225 and below was way off. Once I had the new firmware it is now solid at all temps. New firmware is v 01.01.01

Make sure you have the latest firmware installed. My 650 was only solid at 230 and above and 225 and below was way off. Once I had the new firmware it is now solid at all temps. New firmware is v 01.01.01
Thanks. I do have the latest firmware, at 225 I get around 200 or so, and at 230 I get around 250.

I did some testing over the weekend, at temps of 250 and above the grill is within 10 to 15 degrees of set temps, cooked ribs and pulled pork. which is fine. But at temps in the 220 to 240 range the temps swings pretty wildly, 30 degrees or more. I wonder if the issues can be addressed in future firmware update? Or is it a hardware issue?

I'm having similar issues. I set it at 225. It gets to temp. Meat gets on it never goes any higher than 215. If I change it to 230. It'll run itself up to 300 or more if I don't adjust it back to 225. Has anyone found a viable fix?

I'm having similar issues. I set it at 225. It gets to temp. Meat gets on it never goes any higher than 215. If I change it to 230. It'll run itself up to 300 or more if I don't adjust it back to 225. Has anyone found a viable fix?

Welcome to the forum @Capslock077 - I had a similar issue a while ago (before the latest firmware update) and to get it back down to temp I lifted the lid barely to lower the temperature of the grill slowly. I would let it drop 10-15 degrees, close the lid completely and let the temp stabilize. Once it did I would do the same thing until it got to the temp I wanted. I know you shouldn't have to do this, but it's worth a shot if you are in the middle of a cook.

I haven't cooked anything below 200 degrees, so I'm not sure my Ironwood 650 would have those same issues. I'll have to cook something low and slow and see if I have the same results. It's too bad Traeger is having these issues on such a huge model upgrade.

I finally did a cook at 180 degrees while cooking tri-tip. It was solid for 3 1/2 hours. +/- 3 degrees.

Back