Ironwood 885 display going bad

GrillMeister

⚒️ Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885, Century 22, BGEx2, GMG Davey Crockett
My 6 weeks out of warranty Ironwood 885's display is going bad. Traeger Customer Service offered a whopping 15% off a new 300 controller to fix the problem.

9/8/2011 Update: Sent a letter to the CEO of Traeger outlining my issue. Just received a call from Traeger CS and they are replacing my controller under warranty!!!!!! I should have it next week.

I am a happy camper!

1661546446834.png

Last edited:
You have to change the whole controller?

Yep. What a shame. When it goes completely out, I'll have to use the app to make settings as that's $300 that will go towards another grill that's NOT a Traeger.

Very weird problem, and Traeger not coming to bat here is not what I expected.

Very weird problem, and Traeger not coming to bat here is not what I expected.

Yep. Spend that kinda $$ on a grill and 6 weeks out of warranty the display goes bad and they don't step up.

For $300, it will be their loss as I'm done with Traeger, but not done talking about their disappointing customer service and defective parts.

Hopefully the screen lasts a few more years for you. Your grill is protected from the elements and covered, so that shouldn't contribute to it.
In the infancy of the controllers, they were sending the new ones out without having to return the old ones. I guess they are making up for that leniency

Those are good looking grills.
They do look great. Reviews are great on them as well. They seem to produce the most smoke out of any pellet grill/smoker. They achieve that by some good temperature swings above and below set temps while cooking at pretty much any temperature.

I only have room for the Yoder480
I've seen your pros and cons and I can deal with all those.
I have a habit of topping my hopper off every cook, pellet consumption? so what, you already reported better flavor than Traeger. Add a smoke tube and boom.

I only have room for the Yoder480
I've seen your pros and cons and I can deal with all those.
I have a habit of topping my hopper off every cook, pellet consumption? so what, you already reported better flavor than Traeger. Add a smoke tube and boom.
This is what I want. I have a 780 now so space is about equal. 2 years or what ever now, I have never made more food then the grill could easily accommodate.

My wife is on-board but I just can’t push myself to spend $2K+ on a grill that is a “slight” improvement over what I currently have.

That and I really don’t eat a lot of meat (maybe a few times a month) plus I’m really cooking for two.

But man I want that grill!

This is what I want. I have a 780 now so space is about equal. 2 years or what ever now, I have never made more food then the grill could easily accommodate.

My wife is on-board but I just can’t push myself to spend $2K+ on a grill that is a “slight” improvement over what I currently have.

That and I really don’t eat a lot of meat (maybe a few times a month) plus I’m really cooking for two.

But man I want that grill!
These are my thoughts exactly. Also, I live alone and my freezer is already full from the results of previous cooks. It's just that I want the latest and greatest toy!

Back