Ironwood 650

JHC

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
New Ironwood 650. I have only used twice. First time foil melted and adhered to drip tray,. Second try placed Foil over drip tray liner and the middle of the liner melted and foil melted through and again adhered to the drip[ tray. What am I doing wrong please?

Is the fire pot shield in place? What temperature is this at?

Oh, and don't burn magnesium pellets,

Just kidding.

• Haha
Reactions: JHC
The temp was at 500 to grill steaks and chicken. Fire pot shield I'm assuming is the metal shield piece that fits in under the drip tray? If so than yes it is

The temp was at 500 to grill steaks and chicken. Fire pot shield I'm assuming is the metal shield piece that fits in under the drip tray? If so than yes it is

There are more than a few reports of aluminum foil melting when the grill is running at 500 degrees - one suggestion is to just use a single layer of heavy duty aluminum foil over the drip tray when running at that temp ...

I will try that next grill. Also, maybe I won't grill at 500 even if the recipe calls for it and see if that works.

I cook mostly at 500F and haven’t had a melting problem using 1 sheet of heavy duty foil. The only time it happened is when I placed a Traeger drip pan on top of the foil.

Thanks for your reply.
First time I covered the drip tray completely with one sheet of heavy duty foil (as you did) and it still melted into the tray.
Second time left foil off the drip tray and put oner sheet of heavy duty foil over the drip tray liner I purchased (since so expensive hoping to get more than one use out of the liner). This time both the liner and the foil melted and I am again trying to scrape adhered foil off drip tray. I will be very wary about cooking at 500 from now on!
Also, as I scanned through this forum I noticed complaints about the paint on the Ironwood bubbling in places and peeling off. Well thats happening to mine as well. After reading that I went out and looked and mine is bubbling as well after only grilling 2 times. Feeling like I made a mistake spending so much money on a grill that has these issues.

The grills are good but I don't think that they are designed properly to run at 500F without modification.
After seeing the great grill marks on Grillmeister's reverse sear cooks, I'm looking into the "GrillGrate Sear Station".

The grills are good but I don't think that they are designed properly to run at 500F without modification.
After seeing the great grill marks on Grillmeister's reverse sear cooks, I'm looking into the "GrillGrate Sear Station".
You will not be disappointed with that purchase
I never take my grill past 450 now. Most of my searing is done at 425. Just make sure the grillgrates are well heated before the meat is thrown on. They work ? ?

I'm with Jake on this one... my 575 will be here by the weekend and I will never go higher on it than 400+ probably... My Traeger sits right next to a perfectly good working weberQ gas that will go 500 easy... and I have sear grates over there so I don't think I'll have a need really.

That Grill Grate looks perfect!! Just researched it a bit. Hadn’t heard of it since i’m so new to pellet grills. Allows you to sear at a lower temperature so goodbye 500 degrees. A bit hesitant cause that’s another $100 bucks for the 16.25 they’re recommending for the Ironwood. If you get one would you mind letting me know if you think it’s worth it and I can’t live without it ?
Thanks again for your input!!

That Grill Grate looks perfect!! Just researched it a bit. Hadn’t heard of it since i’m so new to pellet grills. Allows you to sear at a lower temperature so goodbye 500 degrees. A bit hesitant cause that’s another $100 bucks for the 16.25 they’re recommending for the Ironwood. If you get one would you mind letting me know if you think it’s worth it and I can’t live without it ?
Thanks again for your input!!
Look up posts by GrillMeister, these grates work, his photos show beautiful sear marks at 450F or less.

I am copying a photo from GrillMeister here of the GrillGrates in action;
Birthday Ribeyes.jpeg

Did you get the sear station for the TL?, if so what temp do you now sear at ?

Back