Ironwood 650 Outdated Firmware and Config

dsmero

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I noticed today I'm on firmware 2.00.02 and config 6.007 and this is outdated according to Traeger's version page. Haven't had any issues I could blame on these being outdated but as an IT professional, this irks me. Wifi signal is -58db and on a strong 2.4ghz connection. I tend to keep the power disconnected when not in use and rarely give it time before I begin to cook so I could be to blame. But I did reset it with demo mode and went through setup but no update.

Worth leaving it in sleep mode? Anyone have any similar issues? I'll probably open an email ticket with Traeger. Would be nice to be able to manually initiate an OTA update like everything else.

Per my conversations with Traeger Support, the "update" check is done by the grill at Power On, so if nothing initiates after a few minutes, the Traeger Cloud is not identifying your Grill as needing an update (which leads me to believe the Grill UUID values stored in their cloud backend are in need of a data scrub, if in fact your Grill is not up-to-date) ... There is a pending May Update release ... they do need to add PULL capabilities via the App - hoping we see that in a near-term future update ...

Per my conversations with Traeger Support, the "update" check is done by the grill at Power On, so if nothing initiates after a few minutes, the Traeger Cloud is not identifying your Grill as needing an update (which leads me to believe the Grill UUID values stored in their cloud backend are in need of a data scrub, if in fact your Grill is not up-to-date) ... There is a pending May Update release ... they do need to add PULL capabilities via the App - hoping we see that in a near-term future update ...
This makes sense. When I set up my 650 I got connected to the internet and restarted the grill from a complete power down. I had to get pellets to season the grill and let it on. Came back to an update pending and let it install. So it makes sense that the contact and verification is done on the communication with their server. But do they have the updates available for all grills at all times? Or are they available in batch sequences from their server?
An ability to request an update would solve all of this for everyone.

This makes sense. When I set up my 650 I got connected to the internet and restarted the grill from a complete power down. I had to get pellets to season the grill and let it on. Came back to an update pending and let it install. So it makes sense that the contact and verification is done on the communication with their server. But do they have the updates available for all grills at all times? Or are they available in batch sequences from their server?
An ability to request an update would solve all of this for everyone.

As to whether or not their backend update service is running at all times, that is an unknown, but if they are running their Cloud services like other IOT-vendors, unless it is down for maintenance, it should be running at all other times ... the need to implement "on demand" PULL updates via the App (and/or within the Grill display interface itself) is definitely needed ... most of my other IOT-based devices allow for end user control of if/when updates are applied ...

As to whether or not their backend update service is running at all times, that is an unknown, but if they are running their Cloud services like other IOT-vendors, unless it is down for maintenance, it should be running at all other times ... the need to implement "on demand" PULL updates via the App (and/or within the Grill display interface itself) is definitely needed ... most of my other IOT-based devices allow for end user control of if/when updates are applied ...
Yeah, I thought maybe they were pushing updates sequentially or periodically so they would overwhelm their server. That could explain why so many don't get the update, if they aren't connected at the right time
Or maybe they pulled the update for some models after it was seeming to brick some controllers. It would be nice if Traeger was forthcoming with how the process is handled.
The simplest would be to put the option to check for updates on the grill.

Yeah, I thought maybe they were pushing updates sequentially or periodically so they would overwhelm their server. That could explain why so many don't get the update, if they aren't connected at the right time
Or maybe they pulled the update for some models after it was seeming to brick some controllers. It would be nice if Traeger was forthcoming with how the process is handled.
The simplest would be to put the option to check for updates on the grill.

They are migrating to Amazon Web Services (AWS) - maybe their done at this point ... unsure - so scalability of the backend Cloud Services should not be an issue if the update service itself is sound programatically ... new owners comment that they've received the latest updates, so it does seem like those of us who had updated in the January timeframe to 2.00.00 (.01) are primarily the ones stuck in "update jail", which to me points to issues with the Grill UUID values needing cleanup of some sort ... based on recent release history (January and March), we should see the May Update releases in the 2nd/3rd week of the month ... my preference would be to have the App be the interface for initiating end user manual updates, but I will take it however they decide to provide the capability :)

Back