Ironwood 650 Holds at a Temperature Higher Than Set

CoastMtns

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Traeger Ironwood 650.

Purchased September 2020.

So this has developed in the last couple of cooks.

The smoker is running at a higher temperature than is set. It is not a matter of an increase in temperature being out of control and rising uncontrolably, nor is it a matter of an unclean smoker.

I will set the temperature for 225 and the Traeger will hold the temperature in the high 250’s. Drop the temperature to 200 and I am in the 230’s. To keep my cooking temp at around 225 I have to drop my set temperature to around 190.

I have tried opening the lid to drop the temperature and seeing if it will hold at the lower temperature, but no, the temperature will climb and hold.

I used two different additional gauges to confirm the displayed temperature as correct. The temperature sensor is clean, the grill/firepot is clean. The outside temperature is not terribly cold (Pacific Northwest).

Before I call customer service I wanted to ask if any of the community have experienced something similar. Anyone? Anyone?.....

Timmy

BBQ FEAST MASTER
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780, Bronson 20 , Char grill gasser, Char griller modified offset, Blackstone 3 burner griddle
My Pro 780 runs low 250 set temp is 225 grill temp. I just mapped mine with a 3rd party themometer so i know where to set temp to where i want it. Now my set temp and grill temp on the T itself is within 2 or 3 degrees.

OP
OP
C

CoastMtns

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
My Pro 780 runs low 250 set temp is 225 grill temp. I just mapped mine with a 3rd party themometer so i know where to set temp to where i want it. Now my set temp and grill temp on the T itself is within 2 or 3 degre
OF course everyone would prefer to have their smoker work as it should, finely tuned to impress

Timmy

BBQ FEAST MASTER
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780, Bronson 20 , Char grill gasser, Char griller modified offset, Blackstone 3 burner griddle
Yes i agree. After Traeger replaced the controller and rtd,to get it to the point it is now. I got tired of dealing with customer service.i spent 4 months and 9 hrs dealing with CS. They also told me that the pro780 cuold be +- 25f and still be in Traegers parameters.

OP
OP
C

CoastMtns

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Yes i agree. After Traeger replaced the controller and rtd,to get it to the point it is now. I got tired of dealing with customer service.i spent 4 months and 9 hrs dealing with CS. They also told me that the pro780 cuold be +- 25f and still be in Traegers parameters.
I really do not want to hear "that is acceptable". I had been told their customer service was good, I may soon find out.