Help! Ironwood 650 Fan Whine Noise

Tish86

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I just got my Ironwood 650 and the fan is insanely loud with this really high pitch whine, I was in the middle of pulled pork when it happened and I finally lost my mind and started to investigate what was going on. Right when I removed the bottom hopper shield the noise stopped, but the second I put it back the noise came back. Nothing is touching the fan, but the cover does restrict causing the fan to work harder resulting in the noise. I did contact Traeger and they are sending a new fan and bottom cover, but has anyone else ran into this and found a solution?

Bottom Cover Noise Video:

Hand Near Fan Video:

I found the fan was high pitch whining on start up a couple times when really cold out, but once it ran for a bit it went away so I didn't think much of it...

Hey I got a similar problem with my new Pro 575. After investigating it, it seems that the air coming from the fan (the one in pellets container at the bottom) is creating kind of "whistle" when it goes through the holes on the bottom cover. When I put my hand under it and cover some of the holes, the sound disappear. I am thinking of putting something to prevent this whistle noise.

I have the same issue with my brand new Ironwood 650. found out it is actually a 2019 Model. Anyone know if the issue exists in 2020 models?

I have the same issue with my brand new Ironwood 650. found out it is actually a 2019 Model. Anyone know if the issue exists in 2020 models?
I was not aware of differences between 2019 & 2020, how did you located the date code?

Only difference is that they added a Pellet Sensor to the 2020 model.

I just got my Ironwood 650 and the fan is insanely loud with this really high pitch whine, I was in the middle of pulled pork when it happened and I finally lost my mind and started to investigate what was going on. Right when I removed the bottom hopper shield the noise stopped, but the second I put it back the noise came back. Nothing is touching the fan, but the cover does restrict causing the fan to work harder resulting in the noise. I did contact Traeger and they are sending a new fan and bottom cover, but has anyone else ran into this and found a solution?

Bottom Cover Noise Video:

Hand Near Fan Video:
Same issue here with new Ironwood 650. Please post an update if the new fan / bottom cover solves the problem. I called Traeger support on May 22nd, left my callback number, and so far have not received a response :mad:. I’ve attached a video of my sound.

Attachments

• IMG_1779.MOV
    10.2 MB
Same problem here. I had Traeger send me a new fan. I installed it and it’s a little better but not much. The first one was horribly loud...during cook sessions and shutdown. This one is primarily loud during shutdown. That darn thing screams like a whining baby. I called them again. Troubleshot for an hour and fifty minutes. They’re sending me a new fan. Wow. We’ll see I guess.

Ditto for me. I just got a 2020 Ironwood 650 and it has a high pitch fan sound out of the package. Based on the information in this thread, I'll contact Traeger and see what I can get corrected.

Ditto for me. I just got a 2020 Ironwood 650 and it has a high pitch fan sound out of the package. Based on the information in this thread, I'll contact Traeger and see what I can get corrected.
If you can swap it out, DO IT. They’ll send you parts over and over until you rip your hair out. Untimely you’ll need to ask for an entire Hopper Assembly Kit replacement (entire right side of grill). If you aren’t able to exchange it, call and start the process and order these in the meantime. Anti-Vibration Silicon Fan Gasket... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07147CSLS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Please share your results if you get the gaskets, it quieted mine perfectly

I'm curious how Y'all resolved this. I just got an IW650 last night and was having a great time seasoning it. THEN I SHUT IT DOWN and a little be of me died. Why is it always something. How come you cant just get a grill for 1200 that doesn't have something wrong with it? (Cause there's technology and engineering involved) So im curious if the gaskets really solved the issue long term or if a new hopper would be best.

I'm curious how Y'all resolved this. I just got an IW650 last night and was having a great time seasoning it. THEN I SHUT IT DOWN and a little be of me died. Why is it always something. How come you cant just get a grill for 1200 that doesn't have something wrong with it? (Cause there's technology and engineering involved) So im curious if the gaskets really solved the issue long term or if a new hopper would be best.
Gasket does resolve it, but I would start the process to get a new hopper since there’s something wrong requiring the gasket to operate within normals volumes. Basically there’s issues with metal in metal with a metal on plastic fan creating harmonic noise.

Wow, I'm stunned that they would send a new bottom cover for something like this. It's clearly the fan. A new one should help, adding a soft gasket is just adding more insurance and probably should just be standard to make these fan setups as quiet as possible. These normally sound like furnaces as it is, but a high whine is too much.

I'm going to add a gasket to mine, since they are available, can't hurt.

Thanks for your comments. Support is sending me a fan and Ill add a gasket while im in there as well. Made some killer nachos and chicken breasts on "Jo" last night....

Latest Discussions

Back