Introducing: The New Traeger Flatrock Flat Top Grill

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
2023 Ironwood-L

Traeger’s own Jeremy Andrus discusses the ins and outs of the new Flatrock™ flat top grill so you can learn all about why we made it and what separates the Flatrock™ from the competition. It’s all-new and designed to sear, sauté, fry, and flip everything from flapjacks in the morning to fajitas for dinner.

This honestly looks nicer than the Blackstone to me. Nicer than the price? Idk about that. But nicer.

The real improvement over my Blackstone is in the windguard. On the rare really windy days in my town I have to watch the burners to make sure they don't go out. But the windguard also means you cannot see if the burner is on, so it was thoughtful of Traeger to add the flame indicator for each burner.

Almost everything else-my Blackstone already has them. Is the windguard worth over double the price? Maybe if you are living in a very windy place.

It’s substantially nicer. Grease management, flame indicator, fuel indicator, better burners, some zone management, the wind management. Of course anything can be worked around. I also could drive a 15 yo compact base model car, but that ain’t happening. 😁

I rather like nice things and firmly believe you generally get what you pay for. Get the nicest things I can very comfortably afford. 👍🏻

It’s substantially nicer. Grease management, flame indicator, fuel indicator, better burners, some zone management, the wind management. Of course anything can be worked around. I also could drive a 15 yo compact base model car, but that ain’t happening. 😁

I rather like nice things and firmly believe you generally get what you pay for. Get the nicest things I can very comfortably afford. 👍🏻

Agree with most of what you’re saying. If you can afford it…get what makes you happy!

Side note, I’m on the fence about the heat zones though. Heat / conduction moves from hot to cold so even if you have one burner on high and another next to it on medium…eventually the surface will be the same temp. I guess how fast that conduction takes place is going to determine if you really have an advantage with the Traeger.

I’m sticking with my “cheap” Blackstone Griddle that I’ve had and used almost weekly for the past ten years. I have had zero issues other than the igniter button broke. I would put it up against the new Traeger any day. I know many people that have and love their Blackstone’s as well as zero issues. Yeah you can buy a Lamborghini if you got cash to blow, but a KIA will go the same places.

I’m sticking with my “cheap” Blackstone Griddle that I’ve had and used almost weekly for the past ten years. I have had zero issues other than the igniter button broke. I would put it up against the new Traeger any day. I know many people that have and love their Blackstone’s as well as zero issues. Yeah you can buy a Lamborghini if you got cash to blow, but a KIA will go the same places.
Yea but you'd look way cooler on Instagram in a Lambo :cool:

As a stockholder, I'm glad Traeger is expanding their product line and getting into other things. As a customer, this product isn't for me. I have a tabletop Blackstone that I've only used a handful of times. I just find it easier to throw my Baking Steel on the gas grill when I want to make smash burgers. Or easier to plug in an electric griddle when I want to make pancakes or other breakfast things.

It looks much nicer than the Blackstones I’ve seen. Idk if it’s worth the $900 price tag and I’m not saying you should upgrade either, but it looks superior to the lower priced blackstones imo

Agree with most of what you’re saying. If you can afford it…get what makes you happy!

Side note, I’m on the fence about the heat zones though. Heat / conduction moves from hot to cold so even if you have one burner on high and another next to it on medium…eventually the surface will be the same temp. I guess how fast that conduction takes place is going to determine if you really have an advantage with the Traeger.
Yep, agreed. we will have to see about the heat zones. From initial reviews, it appears to help with zones and evenness. Time will reveal all.

It’s no Lambo, it’s maybe a Chevy VS a Yugo
Again, it’s all relative. There are plenty of things that I won’t buy, but I don’t find this outrageous. There is an old saying, “pigs don’t know they stink”. Kind of an ignorance is bliss line of thinking. I used to have the same opinion about DVRs back in the day. Once I had one I’ll never be without. I’ll pay the price.

It’s no Lambo, it’s maybe a Chevy VS a Yugo
Again, it’s all relative. There are plenty of things that I won’t buy, but I don’t find this outrageous. There is an old saying, “pigs don’t know they stink”. Kind of an ignorance is bliss line of thinking. I used to have the same opinion about DVRs back in the day. Once I had one I’ll never be without. I’ll pay the price.
I completely get it. Everyone is different and everyone has different opinions about things. I only share my own opinion, heck it’s just a griddle, way overpriced in my opinion because at the end of the day they will both cook the exact same way. I’ve got more important priorities on my “to buy” list than investing in an expensive griddle when others are half the price or less. Like they say “ different strokes for different folks “!

Here is a somewhat comparable Blackstone. I would argue the Traeger is considerably better than this model. Better features and better build quality.
Point being, it’s not “overpriced”. It’s just not a Yugo model. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Here is a somewhat comparable Blackstone. I would argue the Traeger is considerably better than this model. Better features and better build quality.

I have a 27” Adventure Ready (portable), no frills, un-sexy, Blackstone that cost under $200.

I can’t compare my grill to either the Traeger or the higher end Blackstone.

But seems like some people are trying to equate the two.

To your point, people are spending that much already so I think Traeger priced it where they saw the market.

Looks like a nice griddle. If I were in the market for a higher end model I’d seriously consider the Flatrock.

I only stand behind the blackstone because I know how great it is I have had one a very long time, every online search of best outdoor griddles has it as best choice. Thousands of great reviews, and yes best in price. I for one can’t wait until the Traeger is truly on the market, then we’ll see if it’s worth over twice the price of the Blackstone. I just have my doubts considering how their grills have been loosing ground to other brands. It has absolutely nothing to do with a name and bling, it’s all about how it preforms, dependability and yes price.

Latest Discussions

Back