Insulation cover for ironwood 885

Prc

Reaction score
Grill
Texas
I was looking to upgrade from my 9 year old Treager Texas to the Ironwood 885. Then i found out that Treager does not sell an insulation for the Ironwood smokers which means it is a “no sale“ for me. Does anyone know of an after market cover, I do not want to use a insulation/movers blanket as a solution.

paul

I was looking to upgrade from my 9 year old Treager Texas to the Ironwood 885. Then i found out that Treager does not sell an insulation for the Ironwood smokers which means it is a “no sale“ for me. Does anyone know of an after market cover, I do not want to use a insulation/movers blanket as a solution.

paul
You probably won’t find one because the Ironwood and the Timberlines exhausts out the back. I doesn’t have a chimney.

Got it! Thanks. Now I am going to start all over looking for my new smoker!

Thanks, no way would I do the Timberline solution! Looking for a much easier solution. Guess I will have to research other pellet grills to find a replacement for my 9 year Texas grill With the PID controller (aftermarket).

Maybe its just me, but I think a cooling jacket may be more useful than an insulation jacket for my Traeger!

Maybe a little late to the party but got my Ironwood in November, used it several times with no issues even in the MN cold. The barrel is well-insulated, it came up to temp quickly and stayed +-3 degrees even in the Minnesota cold.

You won't need an insulation blanket for the Ironwood in CT

I live in Northern Illinois and thought I might need insulation for my IW885, However, it works just fine at temperatures above freezing. If the temperature falls below freezing, it would likely work as well, but I do not work so well at temperatures below freezing. Thus, I cook large quantities of food when the temperature is not quite so cold and freeze the excess for reheating on bitterly cold days..

There are folks who cover their IW grills with a welder's blanket and continue to cook with temperatures well below freezing. You just have to make sure you do not block the exhaust vents on the back of the grill chamber.

The IW885 is a great grill as long as you realize that the temperature thermocouple feedback is unlikely to be accurate. If you lived in or close to Canada, the insulation blanket is useful, but I would not make that a major decision criteria for someone living in CT.

paul
I was told it’s a benefit of the ironwood. The lid seals and it believe the unit is insulated. I’ve been smoking in mine all through a Pennsylvania winter, no issues.

I was told it’s a benefit of the ironwood. The lid seals and it believe the unit is insulated. I’ve been smoking in mine all through a Pennsylvania winter, no issues.

Yeah, the Ironwoods have a double wall on the the bottom, back and sides. Only the lid is single wall.

While the lid does seal pretty well as is, some guys have purchased stove gasket material to seal it even better.

Some have even removed the inside walls of the grill, added ceramic wool insulation and replaced the walls. While that might be helpful if you plan on cooking in frigid conditions, it really is not necessary except in extreme cold. I would think this would complicate the cleaning of the grill as the insulation will get sooty.

Back