Insight for a newbie

lownslow

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Hello! New to the forum and Traeger. Purchased a Pro 575 and it's supposed to arrive in the next few days. What recommendations or insight do you have for a Traeger newbie? What are some things that you wished you knew when you first got your Traeger that you learned later on?

Thank you!

Hello! New to the forum and Traeger. Purchased a Pro 575 and it's supposed to arrive in the next few days. What recommendations or insight do you have for a Traeger newbie? What are some things that you wished you knew when you first got your Traeger that you learned later on?

Thank you!
"Welcome to the forum!!! when all else fails read the Instructions...LOL...- - However, for me, using Trager is a Learning Hands On Process ALONG WITH following the Instructions....Invest in a shop vac and do a thorough cleaning after every cook... Good BBQ Comes From Experience, and Experience and its a ton of fun!!! Smoke on my friend!!!

I’m new to the site and stumbled across your post. My comments. I’m the proud owner of a 780 pro, love it. Fool proof, consistent, not a bad meal made since purchasing. This is my second Traeger, have an older Junior. Biggest difference is how much smoke is produced. The junior huffs and puffs like a dragon and I have the whole neighborhood asking if there’s an empty spot at the table. The pro is very calculated and from what I have experienced and been told byTreager reps is the newer models rely on the thin “blue smoke”. Flavor is there, great smoke ring, just not the big smoke show. For more of a hearty smoke flavor I sometimes use a smoke tube.
Word of caution, it’s an addition. I’ve used mine at least twice a week since I got it home in August.

Attachments

• 3F3AA1E9-4969-458C-805F-E747BBA8DDF0.jpeg
    3F3AA1E9-4969-458C-805F-E747BBA8DDF0.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 37
In case you have trouble hooking up to WiFire... I had a heck of a time connecting to WiFire. Called customer service twice, the second time I asked to speak to a supervisor who knew more about the process. He changed the grill identity in their system to all capital letters and boom, it hooked up.

As a new Traeger owner (Costco Silverton), I would definitely agree with SmokeyT on getting a shop vac . If you have the funds get a cordless one.
Make sure you have a large roll of heavy duty foil so you can wrap the heat sheild/gease drip pan.

Also, remember that the Traeger is not a traditional grill. Everything is cooked via indirect heat and if you are expecting that old school charcoal flavor and a scorching hot grill you will be disappointed. That said, you can cook your backyard favorites, burgers, dogs, steaks, etc. it's just the flavor profile is different. The family actually likes the dogs on the Traeger the best.

Another bit of advice, is to order different manufactures of pellets and find the ones that you like the best. Personally, I didn't not like the Traeger pellets but like the BBQr Delight brand. I will try Lumberjack next.

Enjoy your Traeger, I haven't fired up my charcoal grills for a while :)

Regards
D

Back