I'm done changing out pellets

GrillMeister

⚒️ Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885, Century 22, BGEx2, GMG Davey Crockett
I'm done changing out pellets for the most part anymore. I use B&B's Championship Pellet blend that I can buy at Academy or Buc-ee's for $14.99/40lbs.

I still will fill a smoke tube with either Hickory or Mesquite pellets to provide stronger smoke for pork or beef, but no more swapping pellets for different smoke flavor.

I'm with you, I haven't used my pellet door since 1 week after buying this... I put in a hick/mesq mix of PitBoss, I'm about to run out, I'll probably buy the B&B and maybe a few Bear Mountain and go from there...
I use my 'fruit' mixes in my tubes and I get GREAT flavor results.

(so easy to buy from Academy online and have them bring it to your vehicle)

So.....looks great. Unfortunately the Academy about 5 miles from me closed AND the Tractor Supply a mile from me hasn't had Bear Mountain the last few times I've been in there. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Im with you. I've had my 780 pro for going o n 2 years and neve opened the shoot. I experimented with a few brands and found Smoke Ring brand Hickory Maple Cherry blend. My local place sells them for 13.99 for a 40 lbs bag. Everything I have cooked with them has turned out great so no need to change.

The only time I've opened my shoot is to get ride of the Traeger Signature pellets and ironically to replace the BM in it with the Traeger Turkey pellets for tomorrow.

I don't cook on the Traeger as often as many of you guys, so I still empty the hopper. However, I have also concluded that flavor of the pellets or even the brand makes very little difference in the taste of the cooked meat. Walmart still has Pit Boss pellets for $9 for a 20 lb bag and that's just fine for me.

I also agree that smoke from the tubes makes a big difference and thats where my focus will be. I am getting different flavored wood chips to test on the meats. They are so easy to use and produce so much smoke flavor that there is no good reason not to use them.

(so easy to buy from Academy online and have them bring it to your vehicle)
Says the guy who probably buys 200 lbs at a time. :ROFLMAO: Just toss it in the trunk will ya.

So.....looks great. Unfortunately the Academy about 5 miles from me closed AND the Tractor Supply a mile from me hasn't had Bear Mountain the last few times I've been in there. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.
I read somewhere that if you go to Tractor Supply and they don't have an item in stock, it can be ordered and shipped to your house with free shipping.

YMMV I'm repeating what I read on one of these forums.

I don't cook on the Traeger as often as many of you guys, so I still empty the hopper. However, I have also concluded that flavor of the pellets or even the brand makes very little difference in the taste of the cooked meat. Walmart still has Pit Boss pellets for $9 for a 20 lb bag and that's just fine for me.

I also agree that smoke from the tubes makes a big difference and thats where my focus will be. I am getting different flavored wood chips to test on the meats. They are so easy to use and produce so much smoke flavor that there is no good reason not to use them.
I totally agree. They all smell like sawdust burning. They keep the grill hot and that's about it.

Do the PitBoss pellets maintain temps at higher temps (400+)? Have you had any issues with them?

I totally agree. They all smell like sawdust burning. They keep the grill hot and that's about it.

Do the PitBoss pellets maintain temps at higher temps (400+)? Have you had any issues with them?
No, I have not tried high temperatures as I don't use the Traeger for cooks above 300 degrees. Here is what I found with all pellet brands I tried: there is a lot of variation in dust levels from bag to bag. i think this is a reflection of the age of the pellets. Let them sit around long enough and they return to sawdust ( ....... dust to dust)! I now believe that the date of manufacture is the most important indicator of pellet quality. The brand is secondary.

I tried pitboss pellets and my pro34 will not go over 350-370 with those. Traeger brand hits 425 with no problem. I’m new to this so those 2 brand are the only ones iv tried so far

A regional manager from Tractor Supply told me in store that the Bear Mountain pellets as well as the grills that carry are "seasonal" which for them is the summer months. It's not sure if this applies in all areas but I'm in northeast Florida

Back