IM ABOUT DONE WITH THIS THING

Robob69

Reaction score
Grill
BBQ075
I have had it with this damn grill.
I can not get the temp to be consistent nor get to the setting it is meant to be at.
it’s July 4th and I was supposed to cook a brisket. Well looks like the oven will have to cook it because this damn thing won’t get it right.
I have owned it since 2014 and every dang time I need it for an occasion it screws me.
I have replaced the controller and temp sensor and still not worth a crap.
I have new pelleted I orders from Treager. Still not right.
the new controller doesn’t have a P adjustable button so I can not set the rate anymore I guess.
If you can lend an idea great. If not it goes to the trash and I get a PIT BOSS like my neighbor that never has an issue.
thanks.

When you say not consistent, does that mean 5, 10, 20,? How far off is set temp?
Have you verified the actual pit temp with an ACCURATE thermometer, so that you know what it is really doing?
FYI, Traeger pellets are 💩, and can cause problems.

I don’t know if it’s the cause of your problem or not, but Traeger pellets can definitely cause that. Since you already replaced the RTD, and controller, doesn’t leave much else.
Is that a Traeger controller that you replaced the old one with?

There isn't 1 person in this forum that doesn't have to set their grill to a "higher or lower" temp to achieve the REAL temp they want.
As said above, you will never know what that is unless you get a good 3rd party probe to tell you.
DON'T TRUST what your controller is reading out, trust only what you can truly measure

Use those Traeger pellets for cat litter and get some good 100% wood pellets.

When was the last time you cleaned the auger or at least checked it for clogs... Traeger pellet DUST can collect and form clogs and crap in the bottom of your hopper too...

Have you made sure your fire POT was clean and all the holes in it are open and without crap...

And finally, if you are gonna throw it away... I'll pay for shipping!!!

I don’t know if it’s the cause of your problem or not, but Traeger pellets can definitely cause that. Since you already replaced the RTD, and controller, doesn’t leave much else.
Is that a Traeger controller that you replaced the old one with?
Yes. Genuine Treager everything purchased directly from Treager.

There isn't 1 person in this forum that doesn't have to set their grill to a "higher or lower" temp to achieve the REAL temp they want.
As said above, you will never know what that is unless you get a good 3rd party probe to tell you.
DON'T TRUST what your controller is reading out, trust only what you can truly measure

Use those Traeger pellets for cat litter and get some good 100% wood pellets.

When was the last time you cleaned the auger or at least checked it for clogs... Traeger pellet DUST can collect and form clogs and crap in the bottom of your hopper too...

Have you made sure your fire POT was clean and all the holes in it are open and without crap...

And finally, if you are gonna throw it away... I'll pay for shipping!!!
I cleaned the auger lay cooking cycle and vacuumed out the bin and auger tray.
I have used other pellets and thought they performed better. But then I got a discount from Treager when I bought my parts for being a “Loyal long term customer”. I bought 4 bags.
before I plan on cooking for a long period I vacuum out the POT and the auger along with the bottom of the pit.

Pit Boss (available at Walmart) and Bear Mountain (available at Tractor Supply) are both much better pellets than Traeger, and at half the price (around $9.00 for a 20 lb. bag).

I have used pellets from Lowe’s before and seemed better as well. I put a manual grill thermometer in the lid and there is a HUGE difference in temp readings. Crazy.
Manual thermometer shows 300°
Treager shows 227°
They need to figure that out.
73° difference is nuts.

This was after I sifted a half bag of Traeger pellets.
A75444CB-80C3-498B-AD7A-D260FA374731.jpeg
EA0D5534-B947-4E10-9EE2-946AD11687A7.jpeg

I have used pellets from Lowe’s before and seemed better as well. I put a manual grill thermometer in the lid and there is a HUGE difference in temp readings. Crazy.
Manual thermometer shows 300°
Treager shows 227°
They need to figure that out.
73° difference is nuts.
“In the lid” doesn’t tell us much. Place your thermometer next to the Traeger RTD.
Chances are good that your “grill thermometer” isn’t very accurate either.
What kind is it ?
Thermoworks and FireBoard 2 can be trusted, and maybe Inkbird as well

I honestly can’t remember. I bought it at Lowe’s to check this one.

I honestly can’t remember. I bought it at Lowe’s to check this one.
If it’s a regular $10 grill probe, it’s probably not any more accurate than the RTD.
My RTD is about 10 degrees off up until 350, and there it’s very close. Measured with a FireBoard 2

If it’s a regular $10 grill probe, it’s probably not any more accurate than the RTD.
My RTD is about 10 degrees off up until 350, and there it’s very close. Measured with a FireBoard 2
Is that a digital thermometer?

Back